[GUIDE][ROOT][Moto G6 Plus] Magisk patched boot image OPWS27.113-45-4

Search This thread

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, fires, rigged elections,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarms failed and you could not call in.

Please
 * Ensure you have an advanced understanding of this device before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications or your own free will.
 */

Hi, here is patched boot image for Moto G6 Plus. Flash it to acquire root permissions on your device.
Please make sure you have June Firmware OPWS27.113-45-4
Please DO NOT flash on different device, this is only for MOTO G6 PLUS (Evert)

Instructions:
1. Unlock Bootloader
2. Download patched boot image patched_bootOPW27.113-45-4.img
3. Flash it with following command:
Code:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
fastboot reboot

Old April boot image OPW27.113-45: patched_boot.img

Note: If you need to restore the STOCK boot kernel, you can get it from 2nd Post below. Thanks @manos78

Last edited:

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

I confirm that this kernel works! So now you can root your device. :victory:
Thank you @jekyll86!

If you like to test it by hand (with unlocked bootloader), then "fastboot boot stock_boot-MotoG6+-OPW27.113-45.img" and when running Android, then Install lasted Magisk Manager and then update to BETA Channel. This will generate a new patched kernel boot image using your stock boot.

Regards.

Note: If you need to restore the STOCK boot kernel (for an OTA, for example), you can get it from my backup: https://www.sendspace.com/file/i2dxh4

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi,

One advise: If you patched the kernel with Magisk or flashed this kernel, then you can't do wipe of data using the "restore function of Andoid". It will fail until you flash the stock kernel.

If you see an error, then reflash the stock kernel!
Save a copy!

Imprezzion

Dec 12, 2011
Gorredijk
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Thanks, this works perfectly fine with the latest magisk manager (5.7.0) and i managed to get xposed to work as well as gravitybox. I can center my clock again and tweak notifications, navbar longpress and such.

Magisk's package installer did fail to flash xposed but with 3.1.5 xposedinstaller.apk it did work and it flashes and reboots just fine.

I'm working on testing substratum rooted now. I'm just YOLO'ing a AOSP compatible theme on it and i'll see what fails..

If I get into the mood i might even try to flash a 8.1.0 TREBLE version of LOS15.1 or RRO if i can get that TWRP to properly boot via fastboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cesco67

stifmaster81

Feb 27, 2013
and the the normal Motorola g6, still nothing? I'm sorry not to be root

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) mediante Tapatalk

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
Last edited:
Reactions: pelpa87

stifmaster81

Feb 27, 2013
Sorry guys, I'd like to help you but I have only G6Plus. If you want to root, you can follow magisk guide and patch boot image by yourself. It's not difficult

Inviato dal mio moto g(6) plus utilizzando Tapatalk
If the magick is for the Motorola g6 version, can you pass that guide please?

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) mediante Tapatalk

Snearde

Sep 30, 2016
I have a question : you took the original boot.img of the firmware, put it into Magisk app and it gave you a pacthed_boot.img ?
I can't get this process working for the Moto G6 non plus that I got :(

Thank you for your time !

Last edited:

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
I have a question : you took the original boot.img of the firmware, put it into Magisk app and it gave you a pacthed_boot.img ?
I can't get this process working for the Moto G4 non plus that I got :(

That's it, what kind of error do you get?

I can't get this process working for the Moto G4 non plus that I got :(

Well this sub-forum is for moto g6, not moto g4, your device have a dedicated forum for it and there is already various methods for rooting. you should go look there

Snearde

Sep 30, 2016
That's it, what kind of error do you get?

Hi !
Well I took the boot.img from the Moto G6 firmware in this subforum. I used magisk manager to patch this .img from my phone. (Boot.img was > 20MB whereas patched_boot.img is ~ 12MB, sounds strange..)
When I boot on this .img with fastboot, I got a bootloop and it gets back to the original kernel. So I tried to flash it, and it is stuck at boot. The "Warning, bootloader unlocked" shows the "N/A" code, and then the M logo shows up and never moves even after 10 minutes.

The fact that patched_boot.img is significantly smaller than boot.img sounds strange to me. I must be missing something.. too bad. I wanted to provide a patched_boot.img for moto G6 (mine is XT1925 reteu) on this subforum, but since I'm not able to boot from it it is not ready yet :(

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
Hi !
Well I took the boot.img from the Moto G6 firmware in this subforum. I used magisk manager to patch this .img from my phone. (Boot.img was > 20MB whereas patched_boot.img is ~ 12MB, sounds strange..)
When I boot on this .img with fastboot, I got a bootloop and it gets back to the original kernel. So I tried to flash it, and it is stuck at boot. The "Warning, bootloader unlocked" shows the "N/A" code, and then the M logo shows up and never moves even after 10 minutes.

The fact that patched_boot.img is significantly smaller than boot.img sounds strange to me. I must be missing something.. too bad. I wanted to provide a patched_boot.img for moto G6 (mine is XT1925 reteu) on this subforum, but since I'm not able to boot from it it is not ready yet :(
It seems an issue with magisk manager that doesn't patch your kernel correctly. Report this problem in magisk thread.

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi !

Hi,

Please take note of this:

- Moto G6 and Moto G6 are a very different hardware devices: different SoC, different ROM, and different kernel. So, you can't interchange kernels.
- This forum is, in fact, for "Moto G6 family", that's the Moto G6, Moto G6+ and Moto G6 play.
- This thread in the Title indicates [Moto G6 Plus] so this kernel is only for G6+, it doesn't work in your G6.
- Before flash a kernel it's a good idea to boot it for try it. If it fails... never flash it!

So, your only solution is reflash stock G6 kernel. You have a copy of it?

Snearde

Sep 30, 2016
Yes, I only booted from the kernel with "fastboot boot" command, I didn't flashed it on my phone :)
Anyway thanks for your help, I will explain my issue on the magisk thread !

Have a nice day :)

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
With the bootlock unlocked, is the cell fhone more vulnerable?

Bootloader unlocking does not make your phone more vulnerable, but rooting it.
Normally, Android apps work in isolated environments and cannot gain access to other apps or the system. However, an app with root access rights can venture out of its isolated environment and take full control over the device. So if you install malicious app, with root access they can do more damages.
Root your phone only if you need to root it and you know what you are doing.

pelpa87

Apr 2, 2012
Pilar
@jekyll86
Hi I have OPW27.113-25 Firmware instead of -45. will this work any way? because I can't get my Boot.img to creat my own patched boot.img

thanks!

jekyll86

Feb 16, 2012
Palermo
@jekyll86
Hi I have OPW27.113-25 Firmware instead of -45. will this work any way? because I can't get my Boot.img to creat my own patched boot.img

thanks!

I advise you to update your phone. Anyway, you can test it without flashing with the following command:
Code:
fastboot boot patched_boot.img

if the the device boot up, you can flash it, otherwise don't flash and wait for update

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, fires, rigged elections,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarms failed and you could not call in.

Please
     * Ensure you have an advanced understanding of this device before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications or your own free will.
     */

Hi, here is patched boot image for Moto G6 Plus. Flash it to acquire root permissions on your device.
    Please make sure you have June Firmware OPWS27.113-45-4
    Please DO NOT flash on different device, this is only for MOTO G6 PLUS (Evert)

Instructions:
    1. Unlock Bootloader
    2. Download patched boot image patched_bootOPW27.113-45-4.img
    3. Flash it with following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    fastboot reboot

Old April boot image OPW27.113-45: patched_boot.img

Note: If you need to restore the STOCK boot kernel, you can get it from 2nd Post below. Thanks @manos78
    Hi,

I confirm that this kernel works! So now you can root your device. :victory:
    Thank you @jekyll86!

If you like to test it by hand (with unlocked bootloader), then "fastboot boot stock_boot-MotoG6+-OPW27.113-45.img" and when running Android, then Install lasted Magisk Manager and then update to BETA Channel. This will generate a new patched kernel boot image using your stock boot.

Regards.

Note: If you need to restore the STOCK boot kernel (for an OTA, for example), you can get it from my backup: https://www.sendspace.com/file/i2dxh4
    Hello everyone! Almost complete newbie here.
    I just flashed OP's patched_boot.img and get root permissions on my G6+. It works out really nicely, so thanks OP!

But wanted to clear the data using the "restore function" of Andoid.
    So I referred the #2 post by manos78 with kindly provided stock_boot.img.
    Then I just put my phone in fastboot mode and flashed stock_boot.img from PC.
    Then I got dreaded boot loop...:eek:

Now veteran among you can already tell that I'm clueless noob...
    I'm begging you guys to help understand what did I do wrong.
    I just want to get some advice on solving this problem.

Thanks in advance!
    There's a reason my guide index is pinned in the Guides section of the G6+ forums. ;)

Sent from my Moto G6 Plus using XDA Labs
    Hello everyone! Almost complete newbie here.
    I just flashed OP's patched_boot.img and get root permissions on my G6+. It works out really nicely, so thanks OP!

But wanted to clear the data using the "restore function" of Andoid.
    So I referred the #2 post by manos78 with kindly provided stock_boot.img.
    Then I just put my phone in fastboot mode and flashed stock_boot.img from PC.
    Then I got dreaded boot loop...:eek:

Now veteran among you can already tell that I'm clueless noob...
    I'm begging you guys to help understand what did I do wrong.
    I just want to get some advice on solving this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Did you get out of the boot loop already? If not, please specify your steps in more detail.

Here's a possible and likely reason for your bootloop from previous page (!):

This method is no longer needed and my guess you are on the latest firmware while this one is several versions behind. Best thing to do is grab stock firmware that matches the version on your phone. Flash the boot.img from it. Once you're on a clean stock rom, boot twrp, flash magisk zip, reboot,install magisk manager apk and you have working magisk with out all the trouble.
    Could someone tell me how to do root in opws27.113-89-2 version? I have bootloader unlocked !!

If it is still not possible, return to version opw27.113-45-4?

Do not look at this thread, look at the pinned thread by Xplorer4x4: [Moto G6 Plus] Modding Guide Index and follow the procedure there.