FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RECOVERY] Official TWRP 3.3.1 for Moto G7 Plus [lake]

1,906 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,625

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Jleeblanch: TWRP is now Official for the Moto G7 Plus
Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or twrp for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. It's a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

This device has 2 "slots" for ROMs / firmware. TWRP will detect whichever slot is currently active and use that slot for backup AND restore. There are buttons on the reboot page and under backup -> options to change slots. Changing the active slot will cause TWRP to switch which slot that TWRP is backing up or restoring. You can make a backup of slot A, switch to B, then restore the backup which will restore the backup of A to slot B. Changing the slot in TWRP also tells the bootloader to boot that slot.

NOTE:
Decryption of data works when fastboot booting TWRP AND when permanently installing TWRP

Installation
To temporarily boot this recovery:
Code:
fastboot boot twrp-build-version-lake.img
To permanently install it:
  • Temporarily boot twrp
  • Place the twrp-installer zip on your internal/external storage, or push to /sdcard or /external_sd using adb:
    Code:
    adb push twrp-installer-build-version-lake.zip /sdcard (or /external_sd)
  • Tap Install -> Navigate to /sdcard or /external_sd and select the twrp-installer -> Swipe to install
  • Reboot recovery. NOTE: if you had Magisk installed previously, be sure to flash again before rebooting to System
  • NOTE: you can flash the twrp-installer zip directly in Magisk Manager as a module to install and/or update TWRP!

NOTE: Currently, there is no official twrp-installer zip, but there will be for the next official update. However, you can use the "unofficial" twrp-installer for the time being as it is built using the same sources

Downloads
• TWRP (Official) || https://twrp.me/motorola/motorolamotog7plus.html
• INSTALLER || twrp-installer-3.3.1-v5.1-lake-jlb.zip

XDA:DevDB Information
TeamWin Recovery Project 3.3.1, Tool/Utility for the Moto G7 Plus

Contributors
Jleeblanch
Source Code: https://github.com/TeamWin/android_device_motorola_lake

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 3.3.1-0
Stable Release Date: 2019-07-23
Current Beta Version: 3.3.1
Beta Release Date: 2019-05-11

Created 2019-05-14
Last Updated 2019-07-24
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jleeblanch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jleeblanch Ad-Free

14th May 2019, 12:58 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colchester, VT

More
Reserved
The Following User Says Thank You to Jleeblanch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jleeblanch Ad-Free
14th May 2019, 10:07 PM |#3  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Treble support ?
15th May 2019, 12:54 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colchester, VT

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laercio_lalau

Treble support ?

Yes, of course. The device comes fully treble enabled, so it wouldn't make sense to build TWRP without supporting it. I'm sure it'll need some tweaks here and there and I gotta add in decryption support. It's not that it's broken, I just haven't implemented it yet. I wanted to get a working build up for at least flashing Magisk and GSI's.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jleeblanch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jleeblanch Ad-Free
15th May 2019, 03:28 PM |#5  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 149

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleeblanch

Yes, of course. The device comes fully treble enabled, so it wouldn't make sense to build TWRP without supporting it. I'm sure it'll need some tweaks here and there and I gotta add in decryption support. It's not that it's broken, I just haven't implemented it yet. I wanted to get a working build up for at least flashing Magisk and GSI's.

so does it support GSI? It would be good news Bro
15th May 2019, 04:02 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Colchester, VT

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laercio_lalau

so does it support GSI? It would be good news Bro

Yes, absolutely. I do need to update the twrp fstab a little for our device but it does support flashing system and vendor images. GSI's only contain a system.img, so you're good to go!

Again tho, until I implement decryption support, backups of /data and /sdcard (internal storage) aren't possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jleeblanch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jleeblanch Ad-Free
18th May 2019, 01:26 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hey guys,
I've not installed TWRP for a long time, I've been using the same phone (Nextbit Robin) almost two years.
Do I follow this guide to install this? https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/
Using the instructions above?
18th May 2019, 02:36 PM |#8  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 327

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato_Jam

Hey guys,
I've not installed TWRP for a long time, I've been using the same phone (Nextbit Robin) almost two years.
Do I follow this guide to install this? https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-twrp/
Using the instructions above?

The important thing NOT to follow at that link (which otherwise seems to have good info) is DON'T 'fastboot flash recovery twrp.img' but instead do 'fastboot boot twrp.img' to only boot it initially (notice the words 'flash' and 'recovery' aren't in there), after which there is a new way within TWRP to fully install it. The reason is because there is no longer a recovery partition in the newer A/B-slotted devices including G7+, so if you fastboot flash the old way it could brick your device. So just follow the instructions in OP of this thread once you get to the 'Install via ADB' section.

Edit: another thing is that touch isn't working in current version after installing twrp in latest firmware versions (but does work when booted), also as pointed out in OP decryption still isn't added so can't do full nandroid backups or work with internal storage.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dahenjo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dahenjo Ad-Free
18th May 2019, 05:54 PM |#9  

More
Okay, thanks.
Going to give it a go shortly.
22nd May 2019, 09:17 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
will it make its way to the 'official' download page? https://twrp.me/Devices/Motorola/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lupask For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lupask Ad-Free
22nd May 2019, 01:48 PM |#11  

More
I must be doing something wrong, I have a couple of ideas but I'm afraid to try any of them in case I brick it.
I am getting FAILED (remote failure)
Quote:

C:\G7Plus>adb reboot bootloader

C:\G7Plus>fastboot boot twrp-3.3.0-lake.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 1.576s]
booting...
(bootloader) permission denied!
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 1.607s

Model
moto g7 plus XT1965-3