[RECOVERY][UNOFFICIAL][ROOT] TWRP for Galaxy A70

Search This thread

y.erenbektas

Aug 20, 2016
Istanbul
Samsung Galaxy A70
im in north america. the device is not carrier branded so I cant go by that either. im currently downloading this one / [up_vnROM.net]_A705MNXXU3ASJ1_A705MNOWO3ASJ2_ZTO_9.0_FULL.zip.qhtfqa4/ if its the wrong one let me know cause its at 53 percent.

Edit: this one failed to download at 73% trying again from the linked. fingers crossed :)

I actually fixed this by flashing latest official firmware after everytime I came from custom roms etc. and try to find vbmeta file im forum and try to flash it as ap, it can solve too sometimes. I know how are you feeling right now man.
@MarvinMod also, if you can't fix it, simply bring the phone to a samsung folder and want them to format it. They are plugging it to a computer and using a software which we cannot find online. They actually do this for free. But remember, this will delete your data.

Last edited:

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
I actually fixed this by flashing latest official firmware after everytime I came from custom roms etc. and try to find vbmeta file im forum and try to flash it as ap, it can solve too sometimes. I know how are you feeling right now man.

@MarvinMod also, if you can't fix it, simply bring the phone to a samsung folder and want them to format it. They are plugging it to a computer and using a software which we cannot find online. They actually do this for free. But remember, this will delete your data.

there are no Samsung dealers anywhere close in my state. I also am having issues downloading the stock rom. ive tried different downloads from sam mobile, updato, and the ones linked here and they all get almost done then say download error and stop. I have to goto work but does anyone have the BAA region on file host? im also not worried about data as the phone is new out of box.

y.erenbektas

Aug 20, 2016
Istanbul
Samsung Galaxy A70
there are no Samsung dealers anywhere close in my state. I also am having issues downloading the stock rom. ive tried different downloads from sam mobile, updato, and the ones linked here and they all get almost done then say download error and stop. I have to goto work but does anyone have the BAA region on file host? im also not worried about data as the phone is new out of box.

Use Samfirm program. It has no speed limit. As I remember you should know your model name and the country code of firmware you want. Try it with samfirm

y.erenbektas

Aug 20, 2016
Istanbul
Samsung Galaxy A70
I have tried many different firmware for the sm-a705mn and non of them will pass with odin. what would happen if I relock the bootloader at this point?

What is happening instead of passing (in Odin)? Is it giving error or just stucking. Please try the attached odin version and let me know if it worked. Because this version solved my problem and I really tried so much to find this a few months ago.

Relocking bootloader will limit you from flashing unofficial firmwares but it probably wont create a difference at this situation.

Attachments

• Odin3-v3.13.3.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 39

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
What is happening instead of passing (in Odin)? Is it giving error or just stucking. Please try the attached odin version and let me know if it worked. Because this version solved my problem and I really tried so much to find this a few months ago.

Relocking bootloader will limit you from flashing unofficial firmwares but it probably wont create a difference at this situation.

odin will start to flash then almost immediately red fail saying
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/006>
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
sometimes depending on which AP I load, odin will either stop responding or close. but if I remove the .MD5 it will load but still get same error msg when I start. If I try to flash anything other then a stock firmware (even though it fails), the phone will display in download mode a red message saying: Only official released binaries are allowed to be flashed(vbmeta)

I will give your odin a shot and also wanted to give some updates. I took my imei number and plugged it into samsungs imei checker and found that my region is Trinidad and Tobago. I was way off on the firmware region beings I had to guess till now and been trying ones at random that all failed. I used samfirm software to find correct firmware region and am currently downloading. I seen in other threads that flashing other regions didn't matter and would work. I don't know if that's 100% true but hopefully the correct firmware does the trick. ill report back when I have more. :cowboy:

Edit: here is the link to the imei checker I used. https://www.imeipro.info/samsung_imei_check.html

Last edited:

y.erenbektas

Aug 20, 2016
Istanbul
Samsung Galaxy A70
I will give your odin a shot and also wanted to give some updates. I took my imei number and plugged it into samsungs imei checker and found that my region is Trinidad and Tobago. I was way off on the firmware region beings I had to guess till now and been trying ones at random that all failed. I used samfirm software to find correct firmware region and am currently downloading. I seen in other threads that flashing other regions didn't matter and would work. I don't know if that's 100% true but hopefully the correct firmware does the trick. ill report back when I have more. :cowboy:

Good luck! The region doesnt need to be the same. For example, I am living in Turkey and the purchased this phone with Turkey firmware but then I flashed Ukraine firmware (the model is same) for earlier updates.

Since you download the correct firmware which is for the model of your device, region shouldn't be an issue.

I'm waiting to hear good news from you ◇

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
Good luck! The region doesnt need to be the same. For example, I am living in Turkey and the purchased this phone with Turkey firmware but then I flashed Ukraine firmware (the model is same) for earlier updates.

Since you download the correct firmware which is for the model of your device, region shouldn't be an issue.

I'm waiting to hear good news from you ◇

its still downloading so in the meantime I wanted to talk a bit about the regions to get clarification. on my galaxy s5 that is sm-g900t, its region usatmo. if I tried to flash any other region, it would fail. the difference between my s5 and the a70 is the s5 was t mobile branded and the a7 is unbranded. does that make a difference?

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

@curiousrom
@y.erenbektas
update! update! First I give major thanks to all who helped me and you will not be forgotten! Success on unbricking!!! The problem was NOT the region, it was Odin. the version I have is 3.10.6 and apparently corrupted but still somewhat worked. I used the version 3.13.3 from y.erenbektas post and every region I downloaded now passes and phone boots normally. now time to try this again lol.

Another update, TWRP installed successfully! when flashing TWRP, make sure you setup device after flashing vbmeta and connect to internet. enable dev options and make sure oem unlock is greayed out. reboot to download mode, then flash twrp, reboot into recovery and done.

And another update and moving on to the los 16 and 17 threads. twrp is working and los 16 installed. all is running smoothly so far.

Last edited:

y.erenbektas

Aug 20, 2016
Istanbul
Samsung Galaxy A70
its still downloading so in the meantime I wanted to talk a bit about the regions to get clarification. on my galaxy s5 that is sm-g900t, its region usatmo. if I tried to flash any other region, it would fail. the difference between my s5 and the a70 is the s5 was t mobile branded and the a7 is unbranded. does that make a difference?

---------- Post added at 01:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

@curiousrom
@y.erenbektas
update! update! First I give major thanks to all who helped me and you will not be forgotten! Success on unbricking!!! The problem was NOT the region, it was Odin. the version I have is 3.10.6 and apparently corrupted but still somewhat worked. I used the version 3.13.3 from y.erenbektas post and every region I downloaded now passes and phone boots normally. now time to try this again lol.

Another update, TWRP installed successfully! when flashing TWRP, make sure you setup device after flashing vbmeta and connect to internet. enable dev options and make sure oem unlock is greayed out. reboot to download mode, then flash twrp, reboot into recovery and done.

And another update and moving on to the los 16 and 17 threads. twrp is working and los 16 installed. all is running smoothly so far.

That's great, now I am sure that the other versions of Odin has some problems with our phone's latest firmwares. You're welcome ^^

senseijtitus

Oct 17, 2015
Kochin
OnePlus 11
Can't be A70 TWRP installed via fastboot ? Like on most android phones . (I have A70 since one week) .
Samsung phones are not like other android phones. They use different system and boot structure. Download mode is a substitute for fast boot mode in samsung phones.
That's why odin is used in samsung where adb shell is used for other devices.

Reactions: sebx_g1

Nidzap

Jan 9, 2013
can someone help me with my problem? odin says PASS but nothing happens i repeated all 10 times , i cant get to twrp just system recovery,i really want to try lineageos 17 but i cant flash recovery

Last edited:

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
can someone help me with my problem? odin says PASS but nothing happens i repeated all 10 times , i cant get to twrp just system recovery,i really want to try lineageos 17 but i cant flash recovery

when you flashed twrp, did you do it in download mode or while booted into the rom? could you explain the steps you took and device model?
here is how I did mine, SM-A705MN.... boot device and setup by skipping everything, connect to a network either by wifi or network data. enable dev options and check oem unlocking, reboot to download mode and choose option to unlock bootloader. after reboot, setup phone again and connect to network, enable dev options and make sure oem unlock is grayed out. reboot to download mode and flash vbmeta. reboot to recovery and wipe data then reboot and set up phone once again checking that oem unlock is greyed out. boot to bootloader and flash the twrp recovery file that you pack from .zip to .tar. I used peazip. and reboot to recovery. you should be in twrp. Make sure in odin, you uncheck auto reboot. when flashing is complete hole vol up, down and power till reboot then hold vol up when screen goes blank to reach recovery.

Note: make sure you connect to a network before going into dev options and make sure you enable dev options everytime. you will not see the option for oem unlock unless you connect to a network. you must have dev options enabled and oem grayed out or this will not work. Also make sure your odin version is 3.3.1-0 or above. while doing wipes, do not wipe vendor.

Reminder: Do not flash anything while booted into a rom. flash only in download mode or in twrp.

Last edited:

w1ll1m

Jul 15, 2010
Stuck on step 4 : Can't flash twrp.

Download recovery.zip > extract
Open recovery.img wwith 7zip add to archive > recovery.tar
Add recovery.tar to AP in Odin. Boot A70 to download mode.
Flash... Stuck on File analysis.

Anyone send me their tar file.

Last edited:

kac222

Nov 13, 2012

MarvinMod

May 20, 2015
Samsung Galaxy A70
Stuck on step 4 : Can't flash twrp.

Download recovery.zip > extract
Open recovery.img wwith 7zip add to archive > recovery.tar
Add recovery.tar to AP in Odin. Boot A70 to download mode.
Flash... Stuck on File analysis.

Anyone send me their tar file.

its too big to upload here so im uploading mine to google drive and will post link here when its ready.

Edit: Nvm, lol looks like @kac222 beat me to it. good luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: w1ll1m

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Team Win Recovery Project 3.x, or TWRP3 for short, is a custom recovery built with ease of use and customization in mind. Its a fully touch driven user interface no more volume rocker or power buttons to mash. The GUI is also fully XML driven and completely theme-able. You can change just about every aspect of the look and feel.

Code:
    [I]#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this recovery
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */[/I]

I’d recommend to read everything in this post, if you care about your expensive phone.

Let’s start with the installation process
    1. If you already unlocked your bootloader, start with step 3.
      If you are already rooted, start with step 4.
      If you already installed a previous version of TWRP, start with step 4.
      If you already have TWRP installed and just want to root, start with step 5.
    2. First you need to unlock your bootloader. You can do so by enabling developer settings first, enable oem unlocking, then shut down your phone, hold volume up and down at the same time and while holding them plugin your charger. Your phone now should show a green screen with instructions to unlock the bootloader. Just follow them and after the unlocking your data should get wiped. After that your device will boot up and land in setup screen. Do not setup anything, just skip as much as possible, because your phone will get wiped again. Enable developer settings and make sure oem unlocking is greyed out and enabled. (If it does not show up, connect to a network first!)
    3. Now you need to overwrite vbmeta partition, so you can flash third party partitions. Download vbmeta.tar then go into download mode on your device. Put vbmeta.tar to AP in Odin, click start. This should finish pretty quickly, so pay attention when your device reboots, because you need to boot into recovery (Hold power and volume up after the screen turns black). When booted into recovery, wipe your data and reboot normally into system. Now you can setup your phone as usual and make sure oem unlocking is still greyed out and enabled!
    4. Time to flash recovery. Download (link is at the end of this post) the latest version as zip and extract it. You should end up with one single file named recovery.img. Pack it as tar with 7zip or any other compression tool you prefer. This packed tar file should only contain recovery.img and nothing else, also make sure the name is still recovery.img, otherwise Odin will refuse to flash it. In Odin put the tar file in AP and simply hit start. Congrats you now have TWRP installed!
    5. (Optional) You might have lost root access by flash TWRP if you followed this standard guide for rooting. If you did lose it and want to gain root access again (you can also root your device with this method, even when you never rooted your device), download the latest Magisk Manager from the canary channel and install the apk to your phone.
      • If you are on stock:
        Push the recovery.img file you just download for TWRP to your phone. Open Magisk Manager and hit install and patch a file. Select recovery.img and Magisk should start the patching process. Once Magisk is done, boot into TWRP. Backup your boot partition first and afterwards go into install and then hit install image on the bottom right of the screen. Select /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img and install it to boot. Now reboot and Magisk should work. If you run into issues after this, go into TWRP and restore the boot partition you backed up previously.
      • If you are on an AOSP based rom:
        Reboot to TWRP. Create a backup with boot partition. Reboot back to system, then open Magisk and hit install and patch a file. Locate the TWRP backup folder and look up your backup you just created. Select boot.emmc.win for patching. Once Magisk is done, reboot back to TWRP. Go into install and then hit install image on the bottom right of the screen. Select /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img and install it to boot. Now reboot and Magisk should work. If you run into issues after this, go into TWRP and restore the boot partition you backed up previously.

So that was the easy part. The hard part is to completely read these following points!

• Encryption/Decryption
      Decryption works on this TWRP release, but only partially. That means you have to open the Settings Application first on your phone and disable a feature called strong protection. You can find it in Settings->Biometrics and security>Other security settings. It doesn’t matter when you disable it. Flash TWRP first and disable it, fine. Disable it and flash TWRP afterwards, fine. Never disable it, also fine, TWRP just fails to decrypt your data, but won’t do any harm. When this feature gets turned off, the device will generate a key which doesn't require any authentication for decryption, currently only this allows TWRP to decrypt the data partition successfully. This only applies to stock roms though, if you are using an AOSP based rom, then you don't have to do any of this.
    • Disabling decryption
      Disabling decryption will create many problems. First TWRP will refuse to unmount system partition and thus you might run into problems flashing various zips. So I advise you to not disable decryption. If you still want to disable it you have to open terminal in TWRP and type in "stop servicemanager" everytime you want to unmount the system partition.

Backup and Restore
    Because of encryption it's more complicated to backup your data partition.
    If you want to backup data you have to make sure TWRP successfully decrypted your internal storage, otherwise you will run into problems backing up.
    Restoring is even more complicated. Every time you set up a rom, new crypto keys will be generated and you can't backup these. That means if you want to restore data you have to restore the whole rom first excluding data. Format data partition completely, boot it up, then go back to TWRP and restore data. You will lose your internal storage, so I'd recommend you move important stuff to external storage.

Developers specific details

Credits

Downloads
    https://github.com/Grarak/android_device_samsung_a70q-twrp/releases (Also changelog)
    Note The download is a zip file, unpack it and you will get the recovery image. To flash it in Odin pack it as tar with 7zip or a compression tool of your liking.
    nice work, I'll buy the phone in this 2 days to start some works.
    New release:

https://github.com/Grarak/android_device_samsung_a70q-twrp/releases/tag/3.3.1-7

This supports Android 10, but decryption will not work
    New version released.
    Should fix decryption on AOSP based ROMs.