FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[sm-g360t1] Easy fix if stuck in recovery loop!!(no flashing, no pc needed!!)

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By kddavidson72, Junior Member on 8th November 2016, 10:26 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
*Standard Disclaimer*
[THIS INFO IS PROVIDED AS IS WITH NO IMPLICATION OF WARANTY. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING RESULTING FROM YOUR CHOICE TO USE, OR NOT TO USE, THIS INFORMATION.]

So like an idiot I issued a reboot recovery command in terminal, & of course got stuck ina recovery loop. In case you don't know what that is, your phone only boots into recovery (TWRP in my case), not into the rom. Well while trying to fix myself out of it without odin flashing stock, I stumbled uppon a fix.

*NOTE: I'm rooted with Slim Pickens rom flashed. IDK if you need be as well, but since you need to be rooted and trying to get into custom recovery in order to get yourself stuck in a recovery loop, I assumed you're also.

In TWRP:
First, mount your system partition rw in mounts.
Then go to Advanced and open a Terminal.
Issue the command: grep -r recovery /sys
It will result in a kernel panic, and reboot itself; INTO THE ROM!!

How I stumbled uppon this tidbit: I was trying to find out which block partition belonged to recovery so I could dd a copy of my TWRP, and dd the stock in its place. But I couldnt remember the cmd for the partition names. It something like ls -a /sys/devices/platform/by-name or some crap but after a few stabs in the dark and no luck Im like well its gotta be in refferenced in /sys somewhere so I'll just grep it.
And shazzam...

*PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS DID OR DIDNT WORK FOR YOU. MAYBE MY PHONE IS JUST UNIQUE.
But I've done it 3 times since I discovered this, and it worked everytime. (I wanted to be sure it wasnt a fluke before posting.

Hope this helps somebody...
cheers
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kddavidson72 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kddavidson72 Ad-Free

8th November 2016, 10:10 PM |#2  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Will try this later when I get home (just in case so I around my computer) and will report back. I would try now but this is my daily driver and need for work so can't risk being stuck in recovery loop. Man it will be awesome if this works like I think it will. This will save people lots of headache if it works. Fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using XDA Labs
3rd August 2017, 08:17 PM |#3  
Flag Hartford, CT
Thanks Meter: 14

More
While this works, it doesn't fix the actual problem. Whats the fix, flash firmware via odin?
5th June 2018, 10:28 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Worked for me- everything i did kept booting to twrp no matter what. Did this worked but didnt do anything at first so looked away put phone down then it was on metro screen.. thanks man as i been truing to restore this as pc wont reconize it and not one person seems to know how to fix it, then this happened so atleast i got it on again, still no wifi and cant be seen by pc but the booting to twrp everytime i try to restart or anything issue has went away for the moment at least thanks to you

Thank you
25th January 2019, 08:01 PM |#5  
Flag gresham oregon
Thanks Meter: 4

More
This method worked perfectly as instructed on my Galaxy Core Prime. Thank you sir
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)