FORUMS

"The outer screen is almost useless. "

2,451 posts
Thanks Meter: 474

By seh6183, Senior Member on 20th November 2019, 07:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Before I bought the Fold, I read several reviews that all claimed the outer screen was too small to be of any use at all. I've found this to be totally untrue. I use the smaller screen more often than I do the inner screen. It's great for quick messaging, taking phone or video calls, and even reading news articles. I don't know what they were talking about lol

I figured I would make this post to let others know that the outer screen is very useful. I think the reviewers were just spoiled by the giant inner screen so they found the smaller outer screen "useless".

Using the phone closed with just the outer screen is actually more comfortable than anything I've used in years for one handed use. These days phones have become hard to handle with one hand, but the Fold when closed is not at all. Great when you're on the move or just want to be more discrete while reading something.

Cheers.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to seh6183 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seh6183 Ad-Free
21st November 2019, 07:54 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I agree 100%. The outer screen is what I use most of the time, If I am sat at home in the evening and want to watch some media (while the wife has something else on the TV!) or edit some photos, then I use the inner screen, everything else I use the outer screen. Maybe its because I can remember the days when a 4.6 inch screen would have been considered "large".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adesonic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adesonic Ad-Free
21st November 2019, 02:38 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I use the outer screen to control my music player quite often, but the keyboard is too small for me to use that screen for much else.
The Following User Says Thank You to samhall For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samhall Ad-Free
21st November 2019, 04:34 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 474

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhall

I use the outer screen to control my music player quite often, but the keyboard is too small for me to use that screen for much else.

If you look at the keyboard when typing it's fine and swipe works well too.
21st November 2019, 06:09 PM |#5  
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 66

Donate to Me
More
For me the outer screen suits me for most usage and when I need a bigger screen I flip it open..

As a result of using both screens my battery life is much better than on the note 10plus
The Following User Says Thank You to searley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift searley Ad-Free
22nd November 2019, 04:32 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
:good:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seh6183

Before I bought the Fold, I read several reviews that all claimed the outer screen was too small to be of any use at all. I've found this to be totally untrue. I use the smaller screen more often than I do the inner screen. It's great for quick messaging, taking phone or video calls, and even reading news articles. I don't know what they were talking about lol

I figured I would make this post to let others know that the outer screen is very useful. I think the reviewers were just spoiled by the giant inner screen so they found the smaller outer screen "useless".

Using the phone closed with just the outer screen is actually more comfortable than anything I've used in years for one handed use. These days phones have become hard to handle with one hand, but the Fold when closed is not at all. Great when you're on the move or just want to be more discrete while reading something.

Cheers.

absolutely correct.

pardon my partial vent, but this is what happens when these idiots make these "Review" videos, after only having used the device on Launch Day ffs.
for a bunch of "tech enthusiasts" whose job is to delve into a device, almost all of these reviews are cookie cutter, and just regurgitating spec sheets.
unfortunately, it's all about being first in this day. who cares, rifle out the content. end vent

back to the front screen, from all the fold videos i've seen, yes the thinner/narrower body is much better for one-handed use,
but almost everyone complains about typing, in which cases, is two handed typing.
i think only 2 reviewers have mentioned that it's very useful for a particular type of user: the keyboard swiping kind.

lastly, i didn't see any of these "two handed typing" people complaining about the keyboard on an iphone 3-4 with a 3.5" screen, when android phones of that time were already 5"+.
oh well i guess
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _sC For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _sC Ad-Free
22nd November 2019, 08:20 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
You are so right!
22nd February 2020, 12:51 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
100 percent agree with you come to think of it I'm using the small screen to type this haha
26th February 2020, 03:12 AM |#9  
Flag London/Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 11

More
The outer screen is handy for a quick reply specially on the road.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)