COMPLETE Galaxy Gear Guide for 2017 (Root, Mod, etc.);

Search This thread

KcajBoy

Jan 10, 2017
Saint Petersburg
I spent several DAYS getting this watch to work properly (and by properly, I mean rooted and with a new mod).

You DO NOT need an approved phone for this to work! This will allow your watch to work with virtually any phone.

All you need is a Windows PC (with Odin and the Samsung ADB drivers, although these may not be necessary...), your watch, the charging cradle, USB cord and Wondershare (although there are alternatives to this...).

Because I am a new user and can't submit links, this next part is going to SUCK for you:

Here are things to download:
  • Samsung ADB Drivers - Google!
  • The Latest Version of Odin - Google!
  • Wondershare MobileGo for Andoid - Google it!
  • V700XXUAMK7 Firmware (Build Date: 13.11.2013 -> Region: BTU (United Kingdom) PDA: V700XXUAMK7 Changelist: 2124806 Android: 4.2.2 ) - Easy to Google
  • Null TWRP (You can find on this forum)
  • SuperSU ZIP FILE (Do not open) - (Google for "SuperSU Flashable Zip" )
  • THE REAL NULL ROM 23!!!! Working as of 1/10/2017 - THANKS TO dbest1010

There are several pitfalls that are introduced because of how OLD most of the information on here is.

First, when you turn on your watch, you may be wondering, how can I get into USB Debugging mode?

If you are stuck on a screen that is looking for a phone to connect to the device (and this may happen more than once during this process), then you need to know this VERY SIMPLE TRICK:

Press your finger over the area where the bottom of the screen is. An orange and black box should appear with some numbers/letters in it. Do this repeatedly. A LOT. Keep pressing it. Sometimes swipe up a little or down a little, it doesn't matter, just keep rubbing it like it was your lover. Before long (sometimes it takes a couple of minutes, seriously, do not give up), the phone will go to semi-normal operation.

This will allow you to go into the settings and hammer near the version area several times (unlocking developer mode), which on the previous screen will allow you to select for USB debugging.

I'm not sure why this trick is not explained very well elsewhere on these forums. Really, if you want pretty much zero functionality from the watch, you can stop here.

You may not have the "stock ROM" loaded on this watch. Fortunately, these are still easy to find. You want the BTU version if you are in the United States.

This step is important, because even if you do not NEED to do this, knowing how to do this may help you recover from a "soft brick", and get back on track.
  1. Put the watch into Download Mode.
  2. To do this, hold the power button until the "Rebooting" menu appears.
  3. Now, press the power button several times (4 or more)
  4. A new menu appears, use the power button to move down to "Download"
  5. Hold power button for 3 seconds, then release it
  6. Download mode will appear
  7. Connect the USB to your PC, then the cradle, then add the watch to the cradle
  8. Open Odin
  9. Leave everything as normal, and click on "AP"
  10. Select the V700XXUAMK7 file/image
  11. Run the process

This should get you the stock firmware rom loaded.

Here are some problems you may encounter during this phase:

When you connect the watch to the cradle, sometimes it shuts off or does something unintended. Make sure the cradle and usb are connected to the PC *before* trying to add the watch, rather than trying to plug the USB into the cradle once the watch is attached.

Odin may not "see" the watch as a device, or the installation process may not complete as desired.

MAKE SURE that Kies, Wondershare, ADB and all that other stuff is NOT RUNNING. By not running, I mean ctrl+alt+del and go to task manager in Windows and kill ALL instances of them, especially Wondershare. Do this before you think you got a bad image or something. This particular step gave me a headache for a while.

The watch should be booted with the regular firmware now. You may need to do that pressing trick on the main screen again to get it to do much else.

For installing the custom recovery ROM (this is NOT the custom ROM, but is needed and recommended to install null on your watch), you follow almost the same exact procedure as before.

EXCEPT,
1.) UNCLICK in the options for Odin "Auto Reboot"
2.) When you get to the part where you add the V700XXUAMK7 image file, instead, when you click "AP", add the Null TWRP file you downloaded previously.

After a successful install ,the watch will still be on the "downloading" screen. It is safe to restart it now, however, and you can hold the power button down and then press it a few times during the "Rebooting" phase to change to recovery mode.

If you did this right, after a brief Samsung Logo, you will see the Null TWRP screen which has several nice options on there for you.

Now, what you should do, since you know that it worked, is you need to ROOT THE DEVICE.

Don't worry about no Impactor stuff or any of that crap. If you're like me, it will not work. Don't worry about ADB or any of that either.

Use your free trial of Wondershare (or your alternative method), and add the SuperSU ZIP file to the ROOT DIRECTORY of your SD card. With Wondershare, you do this by opening Wondershare, and then connecting the device via USB. Remember what I say, put USB to PC, then to cradle, then add the watch.

Why come your Wondershare no see the watch? Make sure you did the trick on the home screen (pressing the stupid box a thousand times) to get into the Settings and enable Developer mode (keep clicking the version) and USB Debugging.

DO NOT BOOT THE WATCH INTO DOWNLOAD MODE! What are you doing?! Just open the watch up and run it regular so you can see the time, make sure USB Debugging mode is turned on, and Wondershare should see the watch. Still having problems? Try for install those drivers I linked at the top for Samsung devices. You may not need to do this.

You are STILL having problems?! Make sure no other process similar is running. No Odin. No ADB. No Kies. No Impactor. Nadda! Ctrl+alt+del and get rid of all those type processes. Then try it again.

Now, to finish the root.

Once the file is transfer over, disconnect the watch again, and reboot into recovery mode.

Go to install and select that SuperSU zip file, it will install right from the zip.

As an extra added measure, go down into the advanced options of TWRP, the recovery mode, and press on the "fix permissions". I don't know, maybe this does not help, but it does not hurt it either.

Restart the watch regular, run the SuperSU program from the "apps" section, and everything should look fine, and your watch is now rooted.

Power back down and go into recover mode again.

NOW, important! Go to TWRP again and go to BACKUP. Create a backup.

This backup is useful from this point so you can recover a fully working stock version that is rooted, because the next step may cause you a lot of frustration.

DO NOT GO TO SOURCEFORGE!!! F0mey has a page on there for the NULL ROM, and it is not even for the same device! It has version all the way to 27. It doesn't matter if you download the oldest version on there is almost 1GB and it is NOT THE CORRECT THING FOR THIS WATCH.

Do not waste your time! I kept flashing all kinds of bogus stuff on my watch trying to get it to work. Some other guy has a Galactus Mod. Don't bother! It will not work!

If you're sitting there trying to install some bogus ROM, and getting stuck in reboot mode and everything, just use that recovery you made and then come back to this thread when you have some sense in your head.

Go back to the top and get the REAL Null Rom 23. This is a mirror somebody found hosted by Kent. it is only about 300MB, not no 900MB file like the stuff on F0mey Sourceforge page.

How to install it?

Well, the same way you moved that SuperSU file over to the SD card with Wondershare, what you can do, is move the null rom over to the SD card using Wondershare. Just move the ZIP, same way as with the SuperSU. Do not open it! Once it is on the watch, this is the easy part, go into the recovery mode again, go to install, and install it.

You'll know it is correct because on the very first screen, it will say the device it is made for before it installs. The other roms say i398 or something, which is NOT THIS WATCH.

It will have all kinds of options you can tap on with your grubby finger. The recommended settings are fine, you may want to tick some of the Google stuff, like the Play Store.

Anyhow, now the whole thing will take a few minutes to install/flash onto your device.

When it starts to boot up, what is this?! It gets stuck in a loop! Galaxy logo, over and over!

No!!! After so much work! This can't be happening!!

Don't worry, this sound stupid, but just connect the watch to the cradle with the USB connected to the PC. Don't do anything else. For some reason, now it will work and boot fine and you'll be able to unplug it later and do what you like with it.

You will have to do the trick of rubbing the main screen again, with the orange and black box. Sorry, it takes forever, I know. Don't give up. Once you are done, you can connect it with your phone or whatever device.

Make sure to turn on Bluetooth on your phone, and you should be able to see the device (if not play with the bluetooth settings on the watch). Pair the devices, which requires tapping something on both screens.

Most likely, your phone also has an option under "hotspots and tethering" to allow bluetooth sharing of the internet with the watch. Once you enable that, go to the watch, and go to the bluetooth settings where the phone is connected to it, there is options in there for internet sharing with the device over bluetooth (just enable it, it is an on/off toggle).

What did I forget? This is only version 0.01 of this tutorial for you. If you need some more advices, you can write me. I may not check often, but that is life. You can find my email probably from my profile, also.

Last edited:

duynsy44

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2014
Dude..... I love you !!!! I thought id never see the gear null rom ever again. Thx bro ;)

j19m03r98

Feb 14, 2017
Help

Good post, i have a question, this only work in android 4.3? i have 6.0 and the gear say error connection, thanks and sorry for the bad english

-seam-

Feb 23, 2017
the recovery mode text is so small i cant read it. its stuck at the top portion of the screen. any help? i feel like i wasted money buying this. there is zero support here. :(

Last edited:

tamcswain

Mar 10, 2017
Thank you for this! This is very helpful!

Bad news, though... The Null 23 link isn't being hosted again. Anyone know a valid link to the VALID Null 23 rom?

Reactions: Jc Lee

Jc Lee

Feb 7, 2012
I need the Null_23.zip too! :(

Bad news, though... The Null 23 link isn't being hosted again. Anyone know a valid link to the VALID Null 23 rom?

I have same situation!! That link is not working anymore so i'm waiting the Null_23.zip custom rom for Galaxy Gear 1 which i got it 2 days ago! :(

Anyone have the Null_23.zip Samsung galaxy Gear's custom rom for share it to us?

tamcswain

Mar 10, 2017
I have same situation!! That link is not working anymore so i'm waiting the Null_23.zip custom rom for Galaxy Gear 1 which i got it 2 days ago! :(

Anyone have the Null_23.zip Samsung galaxy Gear's custom rom for share it to us?

If you find something, let me know! I will do the same. I message fOmey (the Null 23 rom creator) and he confirmed he doesn't have it anymore or any links. I also asked to confirm the Null 23 roms on sourceforge.net are incorrect since they are almost 1gb in size and states in the rom installation "i9300" which is the galaxy s III phone.

phi11yphan

Dec 16, 2007
I spent several DAYS getting this watch to work properly (and by properly, I mean rooted and with a new mod).
Because I am a new user and can't submit links, this next part is going to SUCK for you:.

My gen 1 still works on null 23, but I got a nostalgic kick out of reading your write up. Nice job. Took me back to some good - although often frustrating - days. F0mey did nice to infuse new life back into this classic.

I came to see if anything better was out here since I last visited a good while ago; but not really. Maybe it's time to finally buy something new, and retire this one to a time capsule. (Next to the Casio calculator, $1 g-shock, nelsonic pacman/frogger, stainless mickey mouse, blue gobot/transformer, and gray fighter jet. I wish. Those didn't survive.)

Gear 1 won't connect with Samsung S8

I don't know if I am in the right place but I try and hope you wil tell if I am or not.
My watch Gear 1 always worked with my Samsung S7Edge. No problems. Now I have a Samsung S8 and it won't connect. My Sansung S8 finds my Gear1, but when I have to confirm on my Gear1 it tells me to reset the Gear 1 to its factory settings. It resets, but only starts and I cannot confirm anywhere the number that appeared on the phone. Somebody can help me?
Thanks in advance.

jaydoeno1

Sep 5, 2017
Only acknowledge on phone not on watch

I don't know if I am in the right place but I try and hope you wil tell if I am or not.
My watch Gear 1 always worked with my Samsung S7Edge. No problems. Now I have a Samsung S8 and it won't connect. My Sansung S8 finds my Gear1, but when I have to confirm on my Gear1 it tells me to reset the Gear 1 to its factory settings. It resets, but only starts and I cannot confirm anywhere the number that appeared on the phone. Somebody can help me?
Thanks in advance.

You just have to acknowledge on the phone not on the watch. Just had that issue with an old S3

langsalang

Jun 19, 2012
Battery life is terrible in null did that last year and went back to tizen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KRONIKHAZE69

Feb 4, 2018
A very Simple Trick - access debug mode without phone

Great guide, feels like im getting somewhere now. Slightly easier way of accessing Samsung Gear without pairing with another phone is to- On the install Samsung Gear screen(on your watch) try tapping 10-15 times on the white gear watch picture on the top left. This will bring up some message at the bottom about 'bluetooth 3 second press' whereafter you long press for 3 seconds on same picture. Watch is unlocked much easier than 'making love' and swiping up and down to get into settings haha ;)

One question though. After installing stock rom should my software version not change in gear information settings?It seems that I am having trouble with 100% correct drivers because wondershare cant connect to my device, although it shows up in my file explorer is official latest samsung drivers fine or should i download fastboot drivers?. (any reliable links to stock rom,recovery,usb drivers and custom rom would be greatly appreciated,feels like im having trouble with the correct zip files)

spannernick

Feb 7, 2010
London
I had a hard time getting all the files together so I have made a zip up and it has every file you need,even the firmware V700XXUAMK7,I added that cos on the Samsung Firmware website on slow download it took me 2 hours to download it and it like only 411 mb.

Super SU v2.85 in it there and works fine ,use Impactor_0.9.14,run Impactor.exe and click start and wait for it to finish then connect using Wondershare MobileGo and install the supersu-2-82.apk,Google play on Wondershare MobileGo don't work cos it can't find the device cos Google Play is not on the Gear 1 ,click on supersu app on the Gear 1 and it will ask you to update root files,just click on normal and it will update it and done,you have root on Gear1 now.. :)

Here is the files in a zip.. Hope this helps sommeone,it would of helped me.. :) its on Mega.. here https://mega.nz/#!sAxinCDa!GR47wt4cQ6g74Ya_9An0bfmf2mel1o8dV0sNiqK3A6M

Reactions: oile and mpore14

paulino633

Jan 2, 2010
Luanda
Samsung Galaxy Gear
I had a hard time getting all the files together so I have made a zip up and it has every file you need,even the firmware V700XXUAMK7,I added that cos on the Samsung Firmware website on slow download it took me 2 hours to download it and it like only 411 mb.

Super SU v2.85 in it there and works fine ,use Impactor_0.9.14,run Impactor.exe and click start and wait for it to finish then connect using Wondershare MobileGo and install the supersu-2-82.apk,Google play on Wondershare MobileGo don't work cos it can't find the device cos Google Play is not on the Gear 1 ,click on supersu app on the Gear 1 and it will ask you to update root files,just click on normal and it will update it and done,you have root on Gear1 now.. :)

Here is the files in a zip.. Hope this helps sommeone,it would of helped me.. :) its on Mega.. here https://mega.nz/#!sAxinCDa!GR47wt4cQ6g74Ya_9An0bfmf2mel1o8dV0sNiqK3A6M
Is not available anymore

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You DO NOT need an approved phone for this to work! This will allow your watch to work with virtually any phone.

All you need is a Windows PC (with Odin and the Samsung ADB drivers, although these may not be necessary...), your watch, the charging cradle, USB cord and Wondershare (although there are alternatives to this...).

Because I am a new user and can't submit links, this next part is going to SUCK for you:

Here are things to download:
    • Samsung ADB Drivers - Google!
    • The Latest Version of Odin - Google!
    • Wondershare MobileGo for Andoid - Google it!
    • V700XXUAMK7 Firmware (Build Date: 13.11.2013 -> Region: BTU (United Kingdom) PDA: V700XXUAMK7 Changelist: 2124806 Android: 4.2.2 ) - Easy to Google
    • Null TWRP (You can find on this forum)
    • SuperSU ZIP FILE (Do not open) - (Google for "SuperSU Flashable Zip" )
    • THE REAL NULL ROM 23!!!! Working as of 1/10/2017 - THANKS TO dbest1010

There are several pitfalls that are introduced because of how OLD most of the information on here is.

First, when you turn on your watch, you may be wondering, how can I get into USB Debugging mode?

If you are stuck on a screen that is looking for a phone to connect to the device (and this may happen more than once during this process), then you need to know this VERY SIMPLE TRICK:

Press your finger over the area where the bottom of the screen is. An orange and black box should appear with some numbers/letters in it. Do this repeatedly. A LOT. Keep pressing it. Sometimes swipe up a little or down a little, it doesn't matter, just keep rubbing it like it was your lover. Before long (sometimes it takes a couple of minutes, seriously, do not give up), the phone will go to semi-normal operation.

This will allow you to go into the settings and hammer near the version area several times (unlocking developer mode), which on the previous screen will allow you to select for USB debugging.

I'm not sure why this trick is not explained very well elsewhere on these forums. Really, if you want pretty much zero functionality from the watch, you can stop here.

You may not have the "stock ROM" loaded on this watch. Fortunately, these are still easy to find. You want the BTU version if you are in the United States.

This step is important, because even if you do not NEED to do this, knowing how to do this may help you recover from a "soft brick", and get back on track.
    1. Put the watch into Download Mode.
    2. To do this, hold the power button until the "Rebooting" menu appears.
    3. Now, press the power button several times (4 or more)
    4. A new menu appears, use the power button to move down to "Download"
    5. Hold power button for 3 seconds, then release it
    6. Download mode will appear
    7. Connect the USB to your PC, then the cradle, then add the watch to the cradle
    8. Open Odin
    9. Leave everything as normal, and click on "AP"
    10. Select the V700XXUAMK7 file/image
    11. Run the process

This should get you the stock firmware rom loaded.

Here are some problems you may encounter during this phase:

When you connect the watch to the cradle, sometimes it shuts off or does something unintended. Make sure the cradle and usb are connected to the PC *before* trying to add the watch, rather than trying to plug the USB into the cradle once the watch is attached.

Odin may not "see" the watch as a device, or the installation process may not complete as desired.

MAKE SURE that Kies, Wondershare, ADB and all that other stuff is NOT RUNNING. By not running, I mean ctrl+alt+del and go to task manager in Windows and kill ALL instances of them, especially Wondershare. Do this before you think you got a bad image or something. This particular step gave me a headache for a while.

The watch should be booted with the regular firmware now. You may need to do that pressing trick on the main screen again to get it to do much else.

For installing the custom recovery ROM (this is NOT the custom ROM, but is needed and recommended to install null on your watch), you follow almost the same exact procedure as before.

EXCEPT,
    1.) UNCLICK in the options for Odin "Auto Reboot"
    2.) When you get to the part where you add the V700XXUAMK7 image file, instead, when you click "AP", add the Null TWRP file you downloaded previously.

After a successful install ,the watch will still be on the "downloading" screen. It is safe to restart it now, however, and you can hold the power button down and then press it a few times during the "Rebooting" phase to change to recovery mode.

If you did this right, after a brief Samsung Logo, you will see the Null TWRP screen which has several nice options on there for you.

Now, what you should do, since you know that it worked, is you need to ROOT THE DEVICE.

Don't worry about no Impactor stuff or any of that crap. If you're like me, it will not work. Don't worry about ADB or any of that either.

Use your free trial of Wondershare (or your alternative method), and add the SuperSU ZIP file to the ROOT DIRECTORY of your SD card. With Wondershare, you do this by opening Wondershare, and then connecting the device via USB. Remember what I say, put USB to PC, then to cradle, then add the watch.

Why come your Wondershare no see the watch? Make sure you did the trick on the home screen (pressing the stupid box a thousand times) to get into the Settings and enable Developer mode (keep clicking the version) and USB Debugging.

DO NOT BOOT THE WATCH INTO DOWNLOAD MODE! What are you doing?! Just open the watch up and run it regular so you can see the time, make sure USB Debugging mode is turned on, and Wondershare should see the watch. Still having problems? Try for install those drivers I linked at the top for Samsung devices. You may not need to do this.

You are STILL having problems?! Make sure no other process similar is running. No Odin. No ADB. No Kies. No Impactor. Nadda! Ctrl+alt+del and get rid of all those type processes. Then try it again.

Now, to finish the root.

Once the file is transfer over, disconnect the watch again, and reboot into recovery mode.

Go to install and select that SuperSU zip file, it will install right from the zip.

As an extra added measure, go down into the advanced options of TWRP, the recovery mode, and press on the "fix permissions". I don't know, maybe this does not help, but it does not hurt it either.

Restart the watch regular, run the SuperSU program from the "apps" section, and everything should look fine, and your watch is now rooted.

Power back down and go into recover mode again.

NOW, important! Go to TWRP again and go to BACKUP. Create a backup.

This backup is useful from this point so you can recover a fully working stock version that is rooted, because the next step may cause you a lot of frustration.

DO NOT GO TO SOURCEFORGE!!! F0mey has a page on there for the NULL ROM, and it is not even for the same device! It has version all the way to 27. It doesn't matter if you download the oldest version on there is almost 1GB and it is NOT THE CORRECT THING FOR THIS WATCH.

Do not waste your time! I kept flashing all kinds of bogus stuff on my watch trying to get it to work. Some other guy has a Galactus Mod. Don't bother! It will not work!

If you're sitting there trying to install some bogus ROM, and getting stuck in reboot mode and everything, just use that recovery you made and then come back to this thread when you have some sense in your head.

Go back to the top and get the REAL Null Rom 23. This is a mirror somebody found hosted by Kent. it is only about 300MB, not no 900MB file like the stuff on F0mey Sourceforge page.

How to install it?

Well, the same way you moved that SuperSU file over to the SD card with Wondershare, what you can do, is move the null rom over to the SD card using Wondershare. Just move the ZIP, same way as with the SuperSU. Do not open it! Once it is on the watch, this is the easy part, go into the recovery mode again, go to install, and install it.

You'll know it is correct because on the very first screen, it will say the device it is made for before it installs. The other roms say i398 or something, which is NOT THIS WATCH.

It will have all kinds of options you can tap on with your grubby finger. The recommended settings are fine, you may want to tick some of the Google stuff, like the Play Store.

Anyhow, now the whole thing will take a few minutes to install/flash onto your device.

When it starts to boot up, what is this?! It gets stuck in a loop! Galaxy logo, over and over!

No!!! After so much work! This can't be happening!!

Don't worry, this sound stupid, but just connect the watch to the cradle with the USB connected to the PC. Don't do anything else. For some reason, now it will work and boot fine and you'll be able to unplug it later and do what you like with it.

You will have to do the trick of rubbing the main screen again, with the orange and black box. Sorry, it takes forever, I know. Don't give up. Once you are done, you can connect it with your phone or whatever device.

Make sure to turn on Bluetooth on your phone, and you should be able to see the device (if not play with the bluetooth settings on the watch). Pair the devices, which requires tapping something on both screens.

Most likely, your phone also has an option under "hotspots and tethering" to allow bluetooth sharing of the internet with the watch. Once you enable that, go to the watch, and go to the bluetooth settings where the phone is connected to it, there is options in there for internet sharing with the device over bluetooth (just enable it, it is an on/off toggle).

What did I forget? This is only version 0.01 of this tutorial for you. If you need some more advices, you can write me. I may not check often, but that is life. You can find my email probably from my profile, also.