[Discussion] State of the Grand 2 - What we were and what are we now

Search This thread

Dankie001

Mar 9, 2016
Surrey
@WaseemAlkurdi Sir, i was wondering if i could get along with you on Telegram or Hangouts. I wish to work along with you. As i told before, just like you I'm also willing to contribute to make G2 get back to its feet once again.
My knowledge and resources for Source building are limited but i can port Roms, I already, ported MIUI 8(6.0.1), Flyme 6(6.0.1), and Hexagon(7.1.2) for G2 but all 3 of them stuck on logo. And my knowledge with Logcats and fixing is limited. Maybe we can boot them together.
Not bragging about anything but me and my friend are actually the first on this planet to boot a Flyme 6 without official support(For Core Prime). Me and my friend have made some significant ports for Core Prime already And i believe i can do something similar for G2 as well.
So i think we should work together.
Not just Waseem sir, but anyone willing to put in some work and has experience may contact me via PM
Posted Some SS of of my progress so far.
2d47f6152fd572aa9fe81e64c938b32c.jpg
2a4e8b87863509fa0d2cfa31afe19676.jpg
c660b3ad912364d796687bf81cac22a1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mahmmoud1231

mahmmoud1231

Jun 7, 2016
@WaseemAlkurdi Sir, i was wondering if i could get along with you on Telegram or Hangouts. I wish to work along with you. As i told before, just like you I'm also willing to contribute to make G2 get back to its feet once again.
My knowledge and resources for Source building are limited but i can port Roms, I already, ported MIUI 8(6.0.1), Flyme 6(6.0.1), and Hexagon(7.1.2) for G2 but all 3 of them stuck on logo. And my knowledge with Logcats and fixing is limited. Maybe we can boot them together.
Not bragging about anything but me and my friend are actually the first on this planet to boot a Flyme 6 without official support(For Core Prime). Me and my friend have made some significant ports for Core Prime already And i believe i can do something similar for G2 as well.
Not just Waseem sir, but anyone willing to put in some work and has experience may contact me via PM

Hi happy to see more developers active
When you flash other stable rom's Does your phone boot because the booting problem could be from your device

Reactions: Dankie001

mahmmoud1231

Jun 7, 2016
Ofc it boots with other Roms. Hahaha dude. If i can port Hexagon 7.1.2 then ofc i have that much knowledge atleast????

Sent from Suplex city to B*****s all over the world
OK I think I can help in generally bootloop comes from an fault in the (build.prop) file, or in the boot.img file and I think the problem is in the boot.img file
Because 2 months ago I was trying to flash blisspop rom when I flashed it I got a bootloop so I flashed the cm12.1 boot.img file and I was amazed when I saw it booted so try that step .

Reactions: Dankie001

WaseemAlkurdi

Apr 3, 2014
Amman
2d47f6152fd572aa9fe81e64c938b32c.jpg
2a4e8b87863509fa0d2cfa31afe19676.jpg
c660b3ad912364d796687bf81cac22a1.jpg

I would be honored to accept that offer ... I will PM you at the end of July to get started.
You seem to know some stuff ;)

parroted.dev

Jun 14, 2017
Hanoi
I want to ask some question about developing an Android's ROM

First, what development skill that required when developing an Android ROM?
Secondly, how to start developing Android, and should I reverse engineer a stable community ROM?
And finally, what does it take to create a fully functional and stable ROM?

I'm very interested in developing a truly working ROM since I was about 13 yrs old - with an HTC Desire, but for some reasons, I just cannot begin that journey. Now I have truly wanted to create a ROM and also contribute to the development of the G2. I'm ready to begin that journey with the G2.

Hope that the community will revive again and hope that one day, G2 will be the next Desire. And I also hope that when I start developing ROM, I will get the community support and contribute

Reactions: mahmmoud1231

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A little about myself and the ethos I have to talk

I am Waseem Alkurdi, developer and owner of a Grand 2 since July 2014, and one of the earliest contributors to the community (Does anybody remember The Ultimate S5 Mod or MicroKat?).
    I have a little mission to complete before taking my Grand 2 out of active service as a daily driver (NOT GOING TO DESERT IT THOUGH, EVER) which is building every next Android version from AOSP/CM (Lineage) sources (starting from Android O until the last version of Android that boots on 1.5 GB of RAM) and porting something significant to this beaut (I'm talking about OEM ROMs, but tips are welcome!)

What the Grand 2 was one day

The Grand 2 was the utopia of an Android device community turned real.
    The community was rolling out ROM after ROM, mod after mod, and everybody was excited ...

First, @balliboxer rolled out the first TouchWiz (Android 4.3-based) rooted ROM for the device, and that was May 2014 if I remember. It was the first victory for the community, as everybody thought that the device could never see root because of the Qualcomm SecureBoot technology, which apparently got everybody thinking about a locked bootloader, which was not the case. (If anybody has a Grand 2 on 4.3, boot into Download Mode and you'll see what I mean: QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLED in blue letters).

Then came the official KitKat update: Of the most important changes was that the dreaded QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT:ENABLED line was replaced with a red UDC:START in red letters). Does that mean that technology was disabled? Only God knows.

With the KitKat update came GenNxt, another ROM by @balliboxer, and one of my first projects, the Ultimate S5 Mod. The mod exploited the S5 code hidden under the stock ROM to "transform" the device into an S5 look-alike.

But my mod has lost the limelight when @balliboxer and @aapav01 came out with the S5 mini port ROM. The ROM was not a lookalike, it was the real deal, and was a hit to Samsung itself and their corporate policy of not updating the UI design of older devices.

Then came the 4.4.4 port from the S3 Neo, another device with the same SoC as the Grand 2. It hadn't received much attention though, as the S5 mini port took it all.

At about the same time, I released MicroKat, a barebones ROM based on stock. It has received some attention from people whom I call "purists", those who like everything pure without the garbage that sticks to stuff at times, and from people who wanted the most performance of their devices.

Later on, a stream of ROMs came: A bombshell of 4.4.4 CyanogenMod 11, CyanognenMod 12 by @mukulsoni, another S5 mini port, this time using Lollipop TouchWiz, and CyanogenMod 13, and later, 14, by @adityaupreti, ResurrectionRemix M by @buggatty, and some Nougat ROMs by @SoUnd001, among more. With each ROM came a surprise.

Where the Grand 2 stands today

We, folks, have passed the climax of the story of our Grand 2. Way long ago, to be honest. We have hit the climax in those ol' times when the team of contributors ported ROM after ROM, when Android Lollipop from source was nothing to this community, and when the Lollipop port from the S5 Mini was being downloaded like nothing the Internet has ever seen

Folks, this device is officially dead.
    But is the Snapdragon 400 SoC archaically old?
    Heck, no!
    Is 1.5 GB of RAM dead?
    Heck, no!

What killed the Grand 2 is nothing but the childish bickering of the community.
    Yep, the whole community, myself included.
    When the same generous developers of our community and all of XDA turn into selfish, egoistic bullies, because of their impatience with some kids, yeah, kids, babies, children who have not been taught respect by their families, who are equally rude, that's what we get, the current state of the Grand 2.
    I am not referring to one incident, but to a collective of incidents.

What is supposed to happen

Quite nothing could be done.
    Well, quite nothing could be done to a community which has brought itself down.
    Speaking for myself, I will aim at my goals, listed above, no matter what. But for other developers, all of which are of higher order than I am, please give this community a second chance.

I have a word for them (especially @adityaupret i:)
    The Grand 2 community is at risk of collapsing prematurely. One hand cannot clap, as we Arabs say. However, all of our hands can work together for the prosperity of the community. Do you want to save this community?
    SoUnd001 is still active as he said earlier(but he deleted his recent TW MM port so i rather doubt it), i am trying to make MIUI 8. Another friend of mine is working on FlymeOS.
    Other than that there are no projects/devs active. If i succeed with MIUI & my friend also succeed with FlymeOS then we will work on more projects and try to keep the developement alive.
    Are you also working on any project???

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk
    First,we should say thanks to all DEVs who help people to transform and make their G2 a uptodated smartphone
    G2,as said @bravoInc ,survived a long time without samsung support..BUT,what we say for someone who lived a long time??a grandma(i think phones are female :D)...what we do for grandmas??WE HELP HER TO LIVE MORE AND MORE AND MORE!!
    This community need to still alive
    More Noobs need to make effort and be DEVs (lik me i think =]])
    after a month i will buy a Note5 , but this will not make me forget G2 ,i will learn,and make G2 shine
    AND,a important thing,noobs who act like DEVs destroy our community!! No one listen to them!!
    Yes i am a noob, but i didnt say wrong and false thing about G2
    i am noob(not a noob but not a dev, we need to create a word for this XD)
    REGARDS,just me
    @WaseemAlkurdi bro Glad to see you after long Time.... i dont know whether u remember me or not but i remember u from the effort u took for CM11....
    We still expecting u to return to development..... Aditya Upreti will be always be helpful for our Device as my knowledge is concerned...(may be its false) .....

Once upon a time balliboxer ruled Grand 2 and then aapav ruled and then aditya ruled and now its dethroned... its set as free for someone whom we r waiting to enthrone to rule Grand 2 Developments back....
    Worse news guys. SoUnd001 left Grand 2 & moved on to J5 developement. He even deleted his device tree. He and aditya got some problems thats why he left :(
    So in my opinion we must setup a device tree if developement has to be continued. @Hammerhead2502 @WaseemAlkurdi & all other people willing to join hands to keep the developement alive please do something :'(

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

For me, and once again, I will be fully dedicated as of Jun.-Jul. 2017, not a day before that.
    And although what SoUnd001 did of removal of trees was rude and unethical in open-source community terms, it is totally his right as his own effort and mental work. Being his right though, does not justify the action, and again, he is not the only one with the mental ability and skill needed to start building Android.