Post Reply Email Thread
How to root the j2 core sm-j260g machine for help
16th April 2019, 01:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc12854

How to root the j2 core sm-j260g machine for help

Quick brief. Your device doesn't have TWRP, so lets go a tedious way. So please bear with me.
I'll make use of Patch Boot Image method provided within Magisk. This process might* require factory reset, so backup your data.
(*): For best result, please do.
of course this trips Knox
Quote:

0. Preparation.
You need:
> Your Phone ofcourse. Plus USB cable. Unlock phone's Bootloader first:
+ Go to Settings > About Phone > Software Info > Build Number. Press that a few times until "You are now a developer" Toast appears
+ Head back to Settings, scroll down. Developers Settings should be available.
+ OEM unlock should be available to toggle. Toggle it on. Bootloader should* be unlocked.
(*) Confirmed working.

> A Windows PC, Odin and Samsung Driver installed as per instruction: https://updato.com/how-to/how-to-ins...are-using-odin (at How to use Odin to flash firmware update, Part 1 and 2)

Quote:

1. Extract boot image.
<!> Assuming you haven't make any changes to boot (which should be without root and twrp)
> Check your firmware: should be in Settings > About Phone > Software Info > Build Number. It will be in form of <codename of Android version> . J260G <...> . Take note of the latter. Thats your firmware.
> Get to a known site for distributing Samsung firmware (SamFirm or Updato). Search and download one for your device that have the EXACT name as the firmware you noted above and for your country.
> Extract your downloaded file, then the AP_ file.
>+ There will be a file named boot.img.lz4, extract it again (tks @dolphindrive for info)
>> Boot.img should be available for you.

Quote:

2. Download Magisk, Patch Boot image.
> Get latest Magisk zip and Magisk Manager apk (for general users, here is the link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445 )
> Connect your phone to PC, allow MTP.
> Send the boot.img, Magisk zip and Magisk Manager apk to your phone.
> On your phone, navigate using My Files to the apk. Install Magisk Manager using the apk file.
> Open Magisk Manager
> Go to settings > patched boot output format > .img.tar (we will flash with Odin)
> Then Install Root > Patch Boot Image. Supply your boot image then follow the instructions.
>> Patched Boot image ( .img.tar ) will be available

Quote:

3. Flash Root-patched boot
> Copy the patched file to your PC
[> At this point, I recommend factory reset your phone for best result, though I guess this is not needed]
> Reboot your phone in Download Mode (Power off, then Power + Volume Down button)
> Open Odin on your PC. Click AP, then select patched boot image file.
> Flash it
>> You should have root by now. Check Magisk Manager.

Pretty long eh.. Just feel bored doing Lineage testing for my J2 Prime :P
P/S: J5 Prime has the exact same chipset. Maybe ask 'em for TWRP port. Much easier that way!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prove N. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prove N. Ad-Free
18th April 2019, 06:49 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mobie TRương
Thanks Meter: 34

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prove N.

Quick brief. Your device doesn't have TWRP, so lets go a tedious way. So please bear with me.
I'll make use of Patch Boot Image method provided within Magisk. This process might* require factory reset, so backup your data.
(*): For best result, please do.
of course this trips Knox

Pretty long eh.. Just feel bored doing Lineage testing for my J2 Prime :P
P/S: J5 Prime has the exact same chipset. Maybe ask 'em for TWRP port. Much easier that way!

Do not report errors
18th April 2019, 10:46 AM |#4  

More
Quote:

Do not report errors

Please use proper English, thankyou
Does that means Root is success?
E: I really doubt that since Samsung include a RMM lock on 2018+ devices
20th April 2019, 02:01 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Please use proper English, thankyou
Does that means Root is success?
E: I really doubt that since Samsung include a RMM lock on 2018+ devices

Hello! I tried using the method you explained to root my device (also a J260M), did everything as you said, but I get this error when trying to patch boot image, can you help me? Thank you!

- Copying image to cache
- Device platform: armeabi-v7a
- Downloading zip
. . . 100%
- Unpacking boot image
- Checking ramdisk status
- Stock boot image detected
- Backing up stock boot image
- Patching ramdisk
- Repacking boot image
! Unable to repack boot image!
! Installation failed

20th April 2019, 03:19 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_drive

Hello! I tried using the method you explained to root my device (also a J260M), did everything as you said, but I get this error when trying to patch boot image, can you help me? Thank you!

- Copying image to cache
- Device platform: armeabi-v7a
- Downloading zip
. . . 100%
- Unpacking boot image
- Checking ramdisk status
- Stock boot image detected
- Backing up stock boot image
- Patching ramdisk
- Repacking boot image
! Unable to repack boot image!
! Installation failed

Too generic im afraid. Could you send me your boot.img file?

I'll do a blind test for j260g later (my network is so bad lol).
The Following User Says Thank You to Prove N. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prove N. Ad-Free
20th April 2019, 05:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Too generic im afraid. Could you send me your boot.img file?

I'll do a blind test for j260g later (my network is so bad lol).

Yes! The PDA is J260MUBS2ARJ8 so I downloaded the firmware and extracted the boot.img

I don't know or I think I can't upload files yet (or post external links), I've sent you a DM with the link

Thank you!
21st April 2019, 01:51 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindrive

Yes! The PDA is J260MUBS2ARJ8 so I downloaded the firmware and extracted the boot.img

I don't know or I think I can't upload files yet (or post external links), I've sent you a DM with the link

Thank you!

Interesting.
So you sent me boot.img.LZ4 (which is a compressed file). I guess this is default for Oreo+ Samsung firmware.
Anyway, try extracting it to boot.img then try again in Magisk Manager?
The Following User Says Thank You to Prove N. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Prove N. Ad-Free
21st April 2019, 02:26 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mobie TRương
Thanks Meter: 34

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Interesting.
So you sent me boot.img.LZ4 (which is a compressed file). I guess this is default for Oreo+ Samsung firmware.

Can you download boot j260g to help me make a file boot twrp j2 core j260g in the file of the line j260g
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vM...dddK2WWjCe8RPH
21st April 2019, 05:17 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Interesting.

Awesome! It did work, I actually never paid attention to that .lz4 extension (didn't knew it was a compressed file, I even tried deleting that part so I would get the .img directly lol ) But it worked, already flashed the patched boot img and the phone is rooted

You're the best! Thanks for the help!

Quote:

Can you download boot j260g to help me make a file boot twrp j2 core j260g in the file of the line j260g

So in your case the boot image to patch would be this one (decompressed): mediafire . com/file/rh96fd9931ikxkf/boot.img/file
The Following User Says Thank You to dolphindrive For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dolphindrive Ad-Free
21st April 2019, 01:00 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphindrive

Awesome! It did work, I actually never paid attention to that .lz4 extension (didn't knew it was a compressed file, I even tried deleting that part so I would get the .img directly lol ) But it worked, already flashed the patched boot img and the phone is rooted

You're the best! Thanks for the help!

So in your case the boot image to patch would be this one (decompressed): mediafire . com/file/rh96fd9931ikxkf/boot.img/file

Im glad it works in your favor! So in the process did you (have to) factory reset?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)