[RECOVERY][ROOT]TWRP 3.3.1-1 Galaxy J4+/J415F/FN/G/DS

15,110 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,873

By ashyx, Recognized Contributor on 8th December 2018, 04:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Unofficial release -TWRP recovery for the Galaxy J4 plus 2018 - SM-J415 MSM8917

TWRP 3.3.1-0 Released
May 22, 2019
TWRP 3.3.1-0 is out now for most currently supported devices.
What's new in 3.3.1-0:
* Fix selinux issues during formatting - dianlujitao
* Various fixes for toybox and toolbox builds - CaptainThrowback and bigbiff
* Flash both A and B partitions when installing a recovery ramdisk - Dees_Troy
* Add option to uninstall TWRP app from /system - Dees_Troy
* Create digest for subpartitions - bigbiff
Want to get notifications when we release new versions of TWRP? Install the TWRP app and select your device!
We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by a handful of people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance!

Update - 17/8/2019
TWRP 3.3.1-1 OO/PP build released
Current status - Beta
Treble supported
Bugs: brightness slider

You flash this at your own risk. Please ensure you have the stock ROM to hand downloaded from SAMMOBILE in case of problems. This will trip the knox counter.

NOTE: ON ANDROID 5.1.1> DEVICES IT IS NECESSARY TO GO TO:
Settings -> Developer Options -> OEM unlocking
AND ENABLE OEM UNLOCK FIRST OR YOU MAY ENCOUNTER 'BLOCKED BY FRP LOCK' WHEN FLASHING.

*****INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:*****

Flash with ODIN in the AP slot.

1. Put your device in DOWNLOAD mode.
(Plug in the USB cable and then hold POWER + VOL DOWN + VOL UP)

2. Load the respective file below into the AP slot, uncheck Auto-reboot(not required for twrp_3.3.1-1) and hit start.

twrp_3.2.3-1_sm-j415f_30319

twrp_3.3.1-1_j415x_17819

3. After flashing and ODIN reports PASS immediately force reboot to recovery. (Not required for twrp_3.3.1-1 as it should auto reboot to recovery). You should now see TWRP recovery.
Do NOT let the device boot to the OS.

4. Flash the V3 RMM bypass zip
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=627

NOTE: FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE STEPS ABOVE IMPLICITLY WILL RESULT IN STOCK RECOVERY REPLACING TWRP AT FIRST BOOT AND BECOMING RMM LOCKED FOR 7 DAYS.

I ALSO SUGGEST BACKING UP ANYTHING YOU NEED ON INTERNAL STORAGE. AT SOME POINT YOU MAY EXPERIENCE A 'VERIFICATION FAILED MESSAGE' .
THIS IS NORMAL, BUT WILL REQUIRE THE DATA PARTITION TO BE FORMATTED IN TWRP.

5. Reboot to TWRP (Do not boot to the OS yet)

***** ROOT INSTRUCTIONS:*****

OREO ONLY

1. Flash the Forced encryption disabler patch. This is only required if you wish to have full functionality in TWRP.
Flashing this will disable Samsung's forced encryption. Disabling encryption will allow TWRP to mount the data partition.
After flashing the patch it is necessary to *FORMAT* (not wipe) the /DATA partition using the FORMAT DATA button under the wipe options.
PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON INTERNAL STORAGE AND FACTORY RESET THE DEVICE, SO BACK UP ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP.
J4+J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler

2. To root I suggest installing the latest Magisk beta as this is a currently supported project, SuperSu is no longer getting active development.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

(NOTE: The DEFEX patched Oreo kernel below may be needed for full root support if certain apps do not work with root):
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=1395089523397921797

3. Enjoy your rooted device.

PIE ONLY

1. Due to some new securities in Samsung's latest Pie kernels, root will not work with the stock kernel. The patched kernel below is required to gain root on Pie.

Features:
Dmverity, proca, five and defex disabled.
OTG and NTFS file system support.
Selinux permissive switchable.

This kernel may require the U4 bootloader.
(NOTE: flashing a custom kernel on PIe breaks the lockscreen. Ensure NO lockscreen is enabled before installing the kernel.)

J415FXXU4BSF7_patched_boot_318919

2. To root I suggest installing the latest Magisk beta as this is a currently supported project, SuperSu is no longer getting active development.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445

3. If you wish to have access to internal storage /DATA in TWRP then encryption will need to be disabled. See step 1 of the Oreo root instructions then instead of installing the J4+J6+_oreo_forced_encryption_disabler install the zip below with TWRP:
Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_Quota_08.02.2019

3. Reboot.
The device will take a good 10 mins to boot first time.
Enjoy your rooted device.

DEVICE TREE: soon

PLEASE DO *NOT* DIRECT LINK TO THESE FILES. PLEASE LINK TO THIS POST

Credits: Me, my tester @kapmino269 [MENTION=6037748]Zackptg5 for the DM-VERITY & FORCEENCRYPT DISABLER @teamwin, @corsicanu for RMM V3 bypass zip.

Please note I don't own this device and spend a lot of my free time bringing these builds for you to use and benefit from.

FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED PLEASE.
THANKS.

DONATE ME HERE IF YOU WANT TO BUY ME A BEER OR HIT THE THANKS BUTTON IF I HELPED YOU

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ashyx Ad-Free
9th December 2018, 12:35 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapmino269

Thank you very much for building twrp but there are bugs :
1- After I make steps all is done I power off it but when I open it isnot boot & i see a message All the words I understood that "you flash unauthornized boot.img & recovery img and return the phone to the company to fix the phone" and phone didnot boot I recognize that when I open internet in phone samsung detect the change in phone so i solved it by:
I repeat the steps but after i connect to internet , i activate magisk and close wifi and download afwall on my sdcard from appkpure by pc and install the app an enable firewall and solved but there message that rules not apply but in fact it is applied and all is done . SOLVED
2-When I close phone and recharge it, it isnot recharged but it continue rebooting not to system but just recharge windows and poweroff and agian to recharge window And so on .
I coulding solve but I sure the error is in boot.img or in another . NOT SOLVED
Sorry for my english.................

Thanks for all the info, but does TWRP actually boot?
9th December 2018, 12:53 PM |#3  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Twrp is very very good and backup and restore and mount are good but there are bugs in system not in recovery addition the last:
3- the percentage of battery when charging,it isnot change . NOT SOLVED
What is the reason ?

Percentage doesn't change in twrp or when power off?
9th December 2018, 07:15 PM |#4  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

SORRY MR ashyx there isn't bugs in system my charger was cut and it is the reason of rebooting to recovery. But bugs in recovery brightness control and backup encryption.
And your build is good ask twrp.me to make it official.

You will need to Format (not wipe) /data to remove encryption and mount the data partition. Samsung encryption isn't supported yet by TWRP.

Brightness isn't a deal breaker, but I'll look into it.

Could you do me a favour and post the recovery.log so I can check it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to ashyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ashyx Ad-Free
9th December 2018, 09:45 PM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

And I forget said that all afwall versions above 2.9.9 doesn't work and Samsung will lock the phone and you should download afwall with date 5/2018

What do you need AFwall for?
10th December 2018, 12:26 AM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

To prevent Samsung apps detect the change on the boot.img and recovery.img and so on and I told you at first that after flashing and activate magisk I set wifi on and when I power off the device and open it ,I couldn't open phone on any mode ,there is message apear to me told if I boot to system it said as I remember and I understand that "there is boot.img flash to phone by unauthorized way please return device to company or someone you buy the device from him to fix the phone " and replacing when reboot recovery boot.img by recovery. img and as I remember the screen was blue and the text was written in black and red. so I flash sammobile stock with Odin and repeat your twrp installing steps and activate magisk and close wifi and put afwall 2.9.9 (above versions didn't work ) and the error didn't appear again .

I don't think that you need AFwall. When you see that message boot to TWRP and format your device, install Magisk and the Oreo encryption disabler.
This should prevent this message appearing again.
Also disable securitylogagent apk.
14th December 2018, 04:50 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Can this be used to flash GSI?
14th December 2018, 10:24 AM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Grewal

Can this be used to flash GSI?

As posted in the OP :

Quote:

Update 8/12/2018

Current status - Beta (Tested working)
Treble supported
Bugs: brightness slider

15th December 2018, 10:15 AM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

sorry I see another error in restore in TWRP .
all partitions restored but when I finish restore twrp said unable to mount /system and I couldn't reboot system

Have you tried backing up only system again then immediately restoring?
Also which media are you restoring from?
Also need the recovery log after failure.
15th December 2018, 05:12 PM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

A1 :No , I will try backup system and system image only.
A2 :I restore from usb otg .
A3 :It success in restore efs boot vendor and others but system not mount and tried to return system again .
££i flash sammobile rom and install magisk as you tell and restore all phone partitions Except system and system image ££ The phone open again.
###I will try restore system again and i will sent you recovery.log BUT WHICH MEDIA I SHOULD USE USB OTG OR SDCARD ###
I am sorry for disturb.

Can you try backing up just system, not system image to internal storage then try restore?
15th December 2018, 07:18 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

ok, I will try .
I would ask you about something else but sending you private message unanable I need to ask you but i couldnot because the question is about something else twrp for j415f how to send the issue to you

If it's related to this device then just post it. I don't accept pm's.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)