This tutorial will be divided into three section upgrade, downgrade and rooting.
Upgrade to Android 6.0
As Samsung has started rolling out android 6.0 for J5 (2015) model. It will be available to all the regions sooner or later on most of the models of J5. Incase if you are not getting OTA update of android 6.0 on your country and are curious to try Android Marshmallow, you can try to flash android 6.0 available for other country. For example: If you have J500H model and android 6.0 for J500H is available for some other countries but not in your country than you can download android 6.0 firmware of those countries and flash it through Odin.
Note: The model number of J5 should be same for example you cannot flash J500F firmware to J500H ,
you can only flash firmware of J500H to J500H, countries or area does not matter as long as the
device model is same.
1. Go to the link below and search for firmware for your device. (Eg: Galaxy J500H)
2. You will find firmware for various regions and android version. Download the android 6.0 firmware for your
region. If you don’t get android 6.0 for your region than download android 6.0 available for any region as you
3. Download odin from the link below.
4. Backup any necessary things like apps, contacts or files as you may loose them.
5. Now follow the instruction given below and flash android 6.0 to your j5.
Download & Install Galaxy USB Driver on your computer,
Enable USB debugging on your Galaxy J5 smartphone and OEM unlocking.
Your phone battery should be at 80% or above.
How to Install Stock Rom on Galaxy J5
1 . After downloading the Galaxy J5 Firmware and Odin software files from the download section.
2. Extract/unzip both files on your computer.
3. Now, boot your Samsung Galaxy J5 into download mode. To do that turn off the phone, after the phone is off,
press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time.
4. Connect your Galaxy J5 to your computer using USB Cable and wait till Odin software detects it. Once, Odin
software detects your phone, you will see the Added message on Odin.
5. Before installing the stock firmware on Galaxy J5 make sure that both Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time are selected.
Then, click on the AP button on Odin software and select the stock Rom where you have previously extracted it.
Now click start button. Odin will start flashing.
6. In the end, on the Odin software the pass message should be displayed and your Samsung Galaxy J5 will
7. Congratulation you have upgraded to android 6.0 Marshmallow.
Detailed tutorial for flashing via Odin:
2. USB driver
Downgrade to Android 5.1.1
Incase if you don’t like android 6.0 and want to downgrade you can downgrade to android 5.1.1 by following these
1. Download 5.1.1 firmware for your region from the given link.
2. Follow the steps provided in above upgrade tutorial and flash the firmware using the Odin.
For rooting your J5 on Android 6.0 as well as Android 5.1.1 follow these steps.
1. Download the TWRP recovery from the link below.
Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) ( Thanks @Nick Verse for TWRP recovery)
Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) (Thanks @ganesh varma for TWRP recovery)
2. Download Supersu zip from the link below
For Marshmallow Users if you are facing bootloop after flashing supersu.zip . Flash the supersu file given in the link below.
https://mega.nz/#!zNVBhKjb!FZFKq6vaI...OHtdYY_TKt-6Qs (Thanks @jka_dark28 for link)
3. Now flash downloaded TWRP via Odin. (Follow the same process to Flash)
4. Transfer supersu zip file to your sd card.
5. After flashing TWRP. Reboot to recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power Button.
6. Now in TWRP select install, locate your Supersu zip file and flash it.
7. Than reboot your device. Congratulation you have rooted your device.
Note: Flashing TWRP and Supersu will void your warranty. So think before you flash. After flashing
TWRP do a nandroid backup first before flashing anything (even supersu file) so that if anything
goes wrong you can restore back.
And most important do everything on your own risk. I will not be responsible to any damage made to your device. But if you follow the process carefully you will not face any problem.
Hope this tutorial will help you all who don't have idea about these things.
Do write your comments and Hit thanks if it helped you.