Development [DISCONTINUED][UNOFFICIAL][Q/A10][SM-J530F] /e/ OS for Samsung J5 2017 (j5y17lte) - BYE Google, HELLO Privacy!

Search This thread

francescum

Mar 29, 2016
Did you read my above answer? You must be on the latest build. I've also provided how to do the OTA ..

I think yes i have thé last build. No ?

And yes i have execute the command in a terminal for the OTA but no update.

2 screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-232913_Updater.png
    Screenshot_20210111-232913_Updater.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20210111-233104_LineageOS_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20210111-233104_LineageOS_Settings.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 100

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
I think yes i have thé last build. No ?

And yes i have execute the command in a terminal for the OTA but no update.

2 screenshot.
bad luck there was a small time slot where a build was online without enforcing. I have mentioned that in my automation channel, always a good idea to keep an eye on it.
Please flash the latest ROM which has the same date as yours in recovery manually.

Reactions: francescum

francescum

Mar 29, 2016
but now i have a problem with the sound when i make calls. my interlocutor does not hear me and on my side the sound cuts

I have reflashing a stock ROM 2 times with differrent in odin:
J530FXXS7CTF1_J530FXEF7CTG1_XEF
SM-J530F_FTM_J530FXXS7CTF1_J530FFTM7CTF1_J530FXXS7CTF1_J530FXXS7CTF1

and reinstall TWRP and your ROM, same problem ...

When i push the touch speaker the call sound work but only 3 or 4s, and if i re-push speaker touch he re-work, after push speaker touch sound reword but cut 3 or 4s after.

log : https://mensuel.framapad.org/p/x80hv8co6t-9l6m?lang=en

Last edited:

Taourer

Dec 24, 2020
Hello,
Maybe it's me but I'm not able to pass Magisk SafetyNet Check anymore.
Are you still able to pass it on your device?

Snakespeed

Feb 15, 2021
Are there any more detailed guides to flashing this? It seems I can only manage to bootloop the phone when flashing twrp unless there's something I'm missing.

steadfasterX

Recognized Developer
Nov 13, 2013
OnePlus 7T Pro
Are there any more detailed guides to flashing this? It seems I can only manage to bootloop the phone when flashing twrp unless there's something I'm missing.

you would:
1. you unlock the device (there are guides for that)
2. flash latest TWRP in ODIN
3. boot directly to TWRP after that (otherwise TWRP will be overwritten on android boot - if you missed to boot into TWRP you have to repeat that step)
4. doing a full clean as described in FAQ 2
5. flash this ROM

If you struggle in flashing TWRP tell us which TWRP version you try, what ODIN version, how you flashed it in ODIN (i.e. in which slot)
also ensure you match the requirement as in the OP regarding the stock firmware version first.

Taourer

Dec 24, 2020
Hello,
I'm having a problem with the Wi-Fi hotspot, it needs selinux in permissive mode to work.

ralf_shumway

Mar 1, 2021
Nice ROM, good job !
I ve needed to switch off SELinux to enable camera.
Only big issue so far is that the device is unlockable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

! DISCONTINUED !

There are several reasons for this but the most disappointing one is that /e/ stops development and most important: security patching for older Android versions way too quick (for me).

I've integrated the security patches manually (provided by great LOS devs) for some time now but that's not the way I wanted to go when I started with /e/. My hope with /e/ was that they(!) will do that as a minimum which turns out that I was wrong.

Besides this it does not fit my needs anymore as my main focus is privacy and security.
    There is so much more to do when it comes to this!
    For this reason I don't use and maintain this /e/ build anymore.

If you want to see what fits my needs check out AXP.OS for the J5.

! DISCONTINUED !

e-color.png

brought to you by the
    eFoundation-1-400x61.png

Code:
    /*
    * I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed (like it did for me...).
    * Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in the products you find here before flashing it!
    * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    * Your warranty will be void if you tamper with any part of your device / software.
    * Same statement for XDA.
    */

About /e/
    /e/ is an a mobile ecosystem (ROM + onlines services) that:

• is open source
    • is pro-privacy
    • is compatible with most existing Android applications
    • cares about usability
    • is as far as possible freed from shackles by Google and OEMs
    • already exists!
    It’s the alternative to the Apple/Google duopoly on the smartphone.

... so again and just to be clear: /e/ is not just a ROM, it is more a complete privacy ecosystem and consists of:
    • an installable mobile operating system for smartphones, which is forked from Android and strongly “ungoogled”
    • a set of sorted and improved default open source applications
    • various online services that are linked to the mobile operating system, such as: a meta search engine for the web, drive (with synchronization), mail, calendar, notes, tasks.

Features

• Based on the stable Lineage OS
    • microG fully pre-installed with Signature Spoofing in restricted mode!
    • All features described on the /e/ page: What is e
    • All features and fixes of LineageOS
    • My builds come with full OTA update support:)
      ... you know that thing which informs you that a new update is there and where you just click to download + install ;)

Difference from pure /e/

• UNOFFICIAL builds (having the tag UNOFFICIALin ROM filename):
      • There are no differences. its pure /e/. just an unofficial build (this ROM is currently still in progress to get approved by /e/ for official builds)
      • Note (2022-09-09):
        This project was in the transition to become official which got stuck due to build issues on /e/ site. Because of that I stopped building UNOFFICIAL as they made no sense when my code becomes official and just providing CUSTOM builds atm. As the process to become official takes longer then expected I will likely build UNOFFICIAL again in the (hopefully) near future.
      • Note (2022-11-22):
        All open issues have been fixed, first official test builds finally work as they should. the current progress becoming official can be tracked here
        I won't build a new UNOFFICIAL release atm in the hope this process will be finished soon
      • the camera will have a stretched preview as it is pure /e/ and so my modification (see CUSTOM) won't apply there.
        You can always install the fixed cam version from here (opencamera_sfX_j5_fixPreview.apk) though and install in parallel to the stock one (the reason why I changed the package id for that modded one to "foundation.e.camera.j5").

• CUSTOM builds (having the tag CUSTOM in ROM filename):
      • The following apps are included: click
        • A note about Google Play Store / Phonesky: Phonesky is THE original Google Play store - "just" modified that it works without the Google service dependencies. It is still the original google play store though.
          Besides the fact this Play store works on the microG backend it allows to use paid apps - which is something some users requested.
        • Google Play Store / Phonesky can be easily disabled in the App settings screen (must be re-done after every upgrade though).
      • The stretched camera preview (photo & video recording) is "fixed" (since v1.5):
        • Unfortunately this works for the /e/ STOCK camera app ONLY so if you install any other camera app you will have that stretched preview there again
        • For those being curious: the code changes can be found here always.
        • the app package id has changed to "foundation.e.camera.j5" to allow a parallel install with the stock cam version (on OFFICIAL and/or UNOFFICIAL builds)

Known issues:

Keep in mind that this is brand new stuff so it may (still) contain unknown issues!
    So back up regularly and frequently!

• When your current STOCK firmware or the latest you had flashed is not PIE (Android 9) then flash the following STOCK version: J530FXXS7CTF1 (pie)
    • selinux: permissive (will be set to enforcing once I got some user feedback if my build working as stable for others as for me)
    • Camera preview is "stretched". This affects the preview only, pictures taken are fine. sorry there is no known way to solve that afaik.
    • If you find a bug not listed let me know and SHARE LOGS! -> READ FAQ#1 for how to provide proper logs.

Requirements
    • Latest TWRP or SHRP build.
    • This ROM has been tested with stock firmware J530FXXS7CTF1 . If you use an older one switch to this first. If you have a newer one things might not work for you (like cam etc)
    • Do a full (i.e. Nandroid) backup before doing anything!

Installation
    1. Full clean install as described here (FAQ #2) is highly recommended. DO NOT REPORT ISSUES when you have skipped that step!
    2. Flash /e/
    3. Optional (if you want root): Flash Magisk
    4. Flashing OpenGapps ????? NO No no! you don't want that on a google-free phone! /e/ contains everything you need to live without Google! So flashing OpenGapps on /e/ is like using a bit more secure LOS but that's not the point of /e/. Either try without or go with LOS (imho).
    5. Boot it (will take a bit on first boot!!! be patient!)
    6. Enjoy the most easy way to have a privacy focused and google-free phone!

Download

Get your builds from my leech server (new installs or re-installs)
    https://leech.binbash.rocks:8008/e-os/a10/j5y17lte/

If you have a previous version of my(!) /e/ Q installed already and just want to update to a newer release:
    Android settings -> Updater (yes my builds have built-in OTA support!)

Note:
    1. Builds are updated as soon as possible. There is no build cycle.
    2. Information pertaining to your device is displayed accordingly.
    3. The current build is the latest for your device.

Changelogs

• search results from this thread: click

Support

Of course in this thread but also by Telegram. I have created a generic group for all stuff around Android : here
    and another one if you want to keep up2date whenever I build something (TWRP, SHRP, LOS, /e/, ...): here

Credits
    • nailyk :)
    • Astrako, wth.. you did an AWESOME job for this SoC!
    • LineageOS (the base of /e/)
    • The /e/ foundation and all related devs making this experience possible!
    • The Exynos7870 Team
    • and more..

Sources

XDA:DevDB Information
    j5y17lte_eos-q_unofficial, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    steadfasterX, nailyk, Astrako for ALL Q porting stuff!!! and: ananjaser1211,DarkLord1731,Exynos7870 Team (github)
    Source Code: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.x
    ROM Firmware Required: only tested on PIE bootloader - so upgrade if you are on Oreo or older
    Based On: Lineage OS

Version Information
    Stable

Created 2020-10-01
    New build up. yea I said I don't maintain this OS anymore and this is still true but well:

- I've updated /e/ to latest supported version v1.17. Version 1.18 and later is for newer android versions only (one of the reasons why I cannot recommend /e/ anymore)
    - manually added all backported security patches up to November (the more important reason why I cannot recommend /e/ anymore). December patches for A10 arent ready yet
    - fixed /cache boot debugger (generating boot log in /cache/boot_debug )
    - hopefully fixed a call bug (no audio in call)
    - FDroid repos*: added Threema and Futo.org (checkout Futo Voice input a privacy friendly speech to text helper)

the december sec patch is quite heavy and contains important fixes so I will provide another build as soon as its backported (note: those backports are not by /e/ but the LineageOS community. /e/ leaves its users out in the rain.)

* to activate the new added FDroid repos you need to clear the app storage of the FDroid app (just cache is not enough). Afterwards you can enable the new added repos in the manage repositories section

Sent from HD1911 using ReLabs
    Update: Thanks a lot for your dedicated development.
    Tried eOS 0.15, 0.21, 0.23, 1.0 and had Calling Issues like unable to hear someone on receiver and mic wasn't working.
    But finally I don't know what magic you did but eOS 1.2 unofficial Is working like a charm, Calls working (can hear others and speak to them without stutering), Banking apps working no bugs except stretched camera preview( but photo taken is normal) . Time to make You Rom Official. This is now my daily driver.
    Also in previous versions of this rom, the sound through speakers was really low but now sound through Speakers is normal. Big Thanks Again.
    No ROM - regardless if its stock or custom - is bug free ;)
    Hey steadfasterX,

thx for your work. I tried your build on a j5 and it works wonderful!

I have aquestion regarding updates: as I thought it would work, I would look at my "Updater" App and will see if there is a new version. But now I got an automated system message that there are new updates, but they seem to be directly from e. I am a bit confused. The system meessage let me download: e os 0.19 (27.09.2021) and e os 0.18 (8.08.2021). Are these messages for your version?

thanks and best regards
    Vik iA
    You can check where the update is coming from like this:
    In the updater app,
    long press the update.
    Option to "Copy URL" pops up.
    Select it,
    then paste clipboard contents somewhere.
    Check if the update is coming from
    where you expected.