FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TWRP + Root] Galaxy J7 Refine (8.0) (Boost/Sprint)

132 posts
Thanks Meter: 60

By ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆, Senior Member on 30th March 2019, 09:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
TWRP has been successfully ported to the Galaxy J7 Refine (SM-J737P) (Oreo 8.0)
ROOT METHOD POSTED BELOW IN POST #2

Giving credit where credit is due:
@Dark98 for compiling the TWRP.img
@☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ providing device files + testing/porting
@topjohnwu for Magisk

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT in Odin flashable .tar format. Due to sporadic updates in security & Oreo, Odin won't be much help here.
This has been tested & confirmed working on device build R16NW.J737PVPU1ARG3. It should work on other versions.

UPDATE: This will work on any Oreo version as well, including the new April 1, 2019 R16NW.J737PVPS3ASC2 update.
The patched_boot.img.tar I've attached will not work if you are on a different version of Oreo. You must provide your own patched_boot.img.tar that coincides with your respective version.

Proof of port is in the screenshot below (I've underlined the device build)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-22-23-02-07.png
Views:	876
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	4733511 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190330_001913.png
Views:	916
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	4733510

There is a downside & an upside:
- The downside is that after you flash TWRP & reboot, you will lose root.
- The upside is that TWRP will remain so all you need to do to regain root is flash the Magisk-v18.1.zip in Recovery.

Procedure:
- In order to flash, you need an app that will do so without booting into recovery. Flashify.apk is the ideal choice for this procedure.
- Flash TWRP in Flashify but do not reboot from the app itself. Power off your device & boot into [TWRP] Recovery manually.

PAY ATTENTION TO THESE NEXT FEW STEPS!!!
- Extract the twrp.img from J737P_TWRP.zip
- Flash through Flashify, then boot into TWRP for the first time
- Now that you have booted into TWRP the first time, Swipe to allow modifications
- Navigate to Wipe > Format Data > type yes when prompted (this will not delete any files you have in your Internal Storage)
- Once the format is completed, go to TWRP home screen & Reboot > Power Off
DO NOT REBOOT TO SYSTEM
- Once device powers off, reboot back into TWRP (yes you will boot into recovery twice)

If you fail to immediately boot back into TWRP, you will brick & have to start over. The fiirst reboot is to clear out (wipe) the /Data partition to make room for your new recovery. Wiping will not delete any internal storage items. However, it will return a value of 0 for /Data. The second boot is to secure TWRP as your new Recovery, as well as fix the /Data return value.

- Now that you have secured TWRP, go ahead & make a TWRP backup as a safety precaution before you reboot. The backup could be considered "stock" with TWRP as the Recovery. The reason being is that you will lose root after formatting /Data. No worries, you will get it back.

After creating the backup, follow these next steps very carefully!!

You will now flash Magisk-v18.1 to regain root. With the new security measures Samsung put in late 2017, you will need to flash 2 .zip files after to ensure that root sticks.

YOU NEED TO FLASH THESE FILES IN ORDER. DO NOT WIPE CACHE AFTER EACH FLASH. DO NOT REBOOT AFTER EACH FLASH. FLASH EACH PACKAGE ONE AT A TIME. WAIT UNTIL THE 3RD FLASH IS COMPLETE & THEN REBOOT DEVICE. IT WILL TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES SO BE PATIENT.

(Still in TWRP)
- Go to Home & select Instal
- In this order, flash one at a time:
Magisk-v18.1(18100).zip
no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip
RMM-State_Bypass_Mesa_v2.zip

DO NOT WIPE THE CACHE

Screenshots of proper installation (in order):

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-22-20-51-15.png
Views:	922
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	4733522 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-03-22-20-51-24.png
Views:	894
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	4733523

- Reboot device normally. If you do not flash the dm-verity & RMM .zip files in order, you will bootloop & have to start over.
- When you get to your home screen, you will receive a notification to update Magisk. Update by either selecting the notification or manually through Magisk Manager.
- Allow Magisk to install the update; do not update through TWRP.

ĐØΠΞ
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ Ad-Free

30th March 2019, 09:31 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis

More
[ROOT] Galaxy J7 Refine (SM-J737P) (Oreo 8.0)

FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.

Name:	Screenshot_20190324-121349_Root Check.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	4733553 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190322-030521_Magisk Manager.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	4733552
I have given you a freebie by providing the patched_boot.img.tar, thus saving you a few steps

All files needed are uploaded to my Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...hRFniecO_0dBDc

NOTICE: Patched_boot.img.tar is solely for the J737PVPU1ARG3 software version. Any attempt to flash to a different version will result in a bootloop. You must patch + flash your own stock boot.img if you are on a different software version.

YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING
- In the Bli5zkrieg.zip you extracted, load up Odin_v13.1 (non-patched)
- Load only the BL/AP/CP files from your stock firmware into Odin
- As soon as the flashing process ends, you must reboot quickly back into Download Mode. You have to be quick. If you allow the device to begin booting up, it makes the rooting process more difficult.

Assuming you followed directions...
- Close Odin_v13.1 & unplug your device while still remaining in Download Mode
- Launch Odin_v13.1 [Patched] & load up the patched_boot.img.tar in the AP slot
- Reconnect device & proceed to flash
- Device will reboot with "Verification Failure" so you must reset (this is part of root) (it does not activate FRP lock)
- When device reboots to Setup Wizard, skip through it. Do not add any accounts (Google or Samsung). Do not consent to giving any device data for whatever purposes (they will ask twice; look carefully)
- On the home screen, unlock Dev Options &allow USB Debugging. OEM should already have been unlocked
- Connect device to your pc & in the ZeeToolz folder you extracted, run CMD.exe
- Input adb devices to ensure proper connection
- Input adb install -r MagiskManager-v7.0.0.apk to install MM to your device
- Open MagiskManager & make sure everything is good to go (see attached screenshot)
- If everything is done properly then you will see a superuser tab in the left side-bar, indicating root access

ĐØΠΞ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ Ad-Free
2nd April 2019, 03:24 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanks for making / working on this man. Running butter smooth on my SM-j737P (J737PVPU2ARJ2.)

note: I had to use an sdcard to store the proper files to be able to flash in twrp. adb sideload nor mtp would not work while in twrp during the initial install.

I used the files below.
Root Files (patched boot image): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xan...Kh_KvjyXY/view
Unbrick Files (stock J737PVPU2ARJ2) : https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410932744536992025

Cheers!
3rd April 2019, 05:50 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinehumane

Thanks for making / working on this man. Running butter smooth on my SM-j737P (J737PVPU2ARJ2.)

note: I had to use an sdcard to store the proper files to be able to flash in twrp. adb sideload nor mtp would not work while in twrp during the initial install.

I used the files below.
Root Files (patched boot image): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xan...Kh_KvjyXY/view
Unbrick Files (stock J737PVPU2ARJ2) : https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410932744536992025

Cheers!

No problem man. I didnt think to test sideload or mtp as I always use an SDcard (comes in handy lol). It was a tad bit tedious to get the whole process down due to Oreo. That being said, ensure that you have a backup. Editing any part of the system (ie. Build.prop) will result in failure. I installed the Time Zones update & it failed. As far as MagiskSU goes, I like the Modules but prefer SuperSU root. Will see about incorporating it in the near future
6th April 2019, 01:25 AM |#5  
Flag Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thanks Meter: 17

More
This is likely a silly question, but I downloaded and installed flashify, have put the TWRP.img on the SD Card, but for some reason, flashify won't go further than giving me the option of flashing a recovery... one tap and the app is frozen....

So, is there another app that will flash the image, so as to follow the directions in the OP? Flashify doesn't seem to be happening for me. Can't seem to find one that doesn't do a root-check first, refusing to do the deed if root isn't there yet?

Trying from square 1, to the point that I did a total backup, factory reset, and am starting with a reset phone.
6th April 2019, 01:31 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljulian

This is likely a silly question, but I downloaded and installed flashify, have put the TWRP.img on the SD Card, but for some reason, flashify won't go further than giving me the option of flashing a recovery... one tap and the app is frozen....

So, is there another app that will flash the image, so as to follow the directions in the OP? Flashify doesn't seem to be happening for me.

I experienced the sluggish behavior as well. Manually go into Magisk Manager > SuperSU & make sure Flashify has been granted root access. I've noticed Magisk is rather slow when it comes to asking or granting root access on some apps. If you cannot get it to flash with Flashify, I'd suggest going with Root Essentials. Its an all-in-one root toolbox with a flashing mechanism
Root Essentials won't work as a secondary flasher bc it requires a custom recovery to be installed beforehand. Flashify will be your best bet so try all possibilities to get it to work
6th April 2019, 01:45 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

I experienced the sluggish behavior as well. Manually go into Magisk Manager > SuperSU & make sure Flashify has been granted root access. I've noticed Magisk is rather slow when it comes to asking or granting root access on some apps. If you cannot get it to flash with Flashify, I'd suggest going with Root Essentials. Its an all-in-one root toolbox with a flashing mechanism

I'll give it a try... thanks... Just trying to follow the instructions to the letter, and I'm laboring under the assumption that the TWRP image has to be on there before going on to the next steps...
6th April 2019, 01:47 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis

More
Quote:

I'll give it a try... thanks... Just trying to follow the instructions to the letter, and I'm laboring under the assumption that the TWRP image has to be on there before going on to the next steps...

I revised my last comment. TWRP is to be flashed after you have rooted with Magisk. The posts are a little offputting due to the order they are in & I apologize for that lol Root with Magisk first & then you can install TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ Ad-Free
6th April 2019, 02:01 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

Hmm... Root Essentials tells me it failed to install the image...

If flashify does work, but is just seriously sluggish, I can live with that if it's just a matter of setting it aside until it loads it up, that's cool... just trying to get the TWRP.img on there per instructions... Selecting the Install Recovery Image craps out... I have a copy of that image on both the emulated and the external SD, just to see if it was that... doesn't seem to work.

My understanding from the instructions is that I can't flash this particular TWRP image with Odin...

Does the patched boot image go on first, or what? I've been around here for a while, and have flashed other phones in the past, but this one is a challenge.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆

I revised my last comment. TWRP is to be flashed after you have rooted with Magisk. The posts are a little offputting due to the order they are in & I apologize for that lol Root with Magisk first & then you can install TWRP

OK... that makes more sense... I'll do that first, then go on to the other... Thanks, friend.
6th April 2019, 02:10 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis

More
Quote:

Hmm... Root Essentials tells me it failed to install the image...

If flashify does work, but is just seriously sluggish, I can live with that if it's just a matter of setting it aside until it loads it up, that's cool... just trying to get the TWRP.img on there per instructions... Selecting the Install Recovery Image craps out... I have a copy of that image on both the emulated and the external SD, just to see if it was that... doesn't seem to work.

My understanding from the instructions is that I can't flash this particular TWRP image with Odin...

Does the patched boot image go on first, or what? I've been around here for a while, and have flashed other phones in the past, but this one is a challenge.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

OK... that makes more sense... I'll do that first, then go on to the other... Thanks, friend.

Flashing with Flashify is under the assumption that you dont have a lot of 3rd party apps installed. If you are logged into your Google or Samsung account(s) & have your data being backed up, it creates a more sluggish environment.

First, follow the rooting guide I posted above. If you do, you should have root access via Magisk with very little apps installed & you arent logged into any Account(s). After you have that, then install Flashify. Manually set root access if need be. Make sure you have all your device security settings disabled, Dev Options, USB Debugging, blah blah blah

We will get you root access & TWRP installed bud
The Following User Says Thank You to ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ☆KØŁØЯΛĐØ☆ Ad-Free
6th April 2019, 02:21 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Indianapolis

More
Quote:

When you go to get root, you will need your stock firmware (BL/AP/CP files). My directions are pretty straight forward. Unzip the tools, load up Odin (non-patched), flash BL + AP + CP in their respective slots. Make sure that after you flash the stock, you instantly reboot back into Download Mode. Close the current Odin & open the patched Odin. Load the patched_boot.img.tar I provided to the AP slot & flash. It will reboot with a Verification Failure, thus forcing you to format your device. When your device reboots, skip through Setup Wizard, dont link any Google or Samsung accts. On the home screen, use cmd terminal on your pc to install the MagiskManager.apk. Once sideload, you will see root access & more than likely a toast notification asking you to update Magisk.

Rashr (de.mkrtchyan.recoverytools.apk) works as a good substitute for Flashify. You just need to move the TWRP.img to the root of your sdcard (/emulated/0/sdcard) & flash it through the Recovery from Storage option. Reboot into TWRP &continue following the instructions I've posted
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy j7 refine (2018), magisk, sm-j737p, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)