This is for the Exynos SM-J710F, SM-J710FN, SM-J710GN, SM-J710MN, SM-J710K models only!
WARNING: Flashing a custom recovery to your device will trip the Knox warranty bit on your phone. Check with your mobile provider to see if they will still cover warranty on Knox bit triggered devices. If you understand this risk, continue on.
WHAT IS TWRP?
Oh come on, you know what it is - don't try to fool me!
In case you're serious, though...
Team Win Recovery Project is a custom recovery for Android devices.
It allows you to back up and restore your data, flash custom ROMs to your device, repair broken file systems, and root your device.
You can find the device page here:
There is a download link there, as well as instructions on how to flash it.
I highly recommend using Odin to flash when possible.
You can find a zip containing Odin as well as a link to Samsung's Mobile drivers page here:
FULL STEPS FOR OBTAINING ROOT
- In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Now go to Settings -> Developer options. (above About device)
You need to enable OEM unlock, otherwise you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on.
- Make sure your don't have Factory Reset Protection enabled in your Google account or you may never be able to boot again!
More information: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en
- Extract Odin_3.10.7.zip to your computer.
- Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers for Odin to find your device.
- Download a .tar image of TWRP for j7xelte.
- Reboot your device into Download mode. To do this, select reboot from the power menu and hold the [Volume Down] + [Home] buttons while your device reboots.
Once you reach the Download mode warning screen, press [Volume Up] to continue.
- Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot, under Options tab disable Auto Reboot, then press [Start].
- Once the flash is complete (Odin should tell you in the log, and progress bar on phone should stop), you can pull the battery then place the battery back in. Now hold [Volume Up] + [Home] + [Power] buttons until you reach recovery mode.
If you end up in stock recovery, start again from download mode step.
- At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
You will want to swipe to allow, otherwise the OS will replace TWRP once you boot!
- If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
Download the latest SuperSU by Chainfire.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
- Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
- v3.0.2-0 - Initial build on twrp.me
- MTP support
- USB Mass Storage support
- Micro SDcard and USB OTG storage support
- f2fs file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- exFAT file system support (read, write, format, backup & restore)
- NTFS file system support (read, write, format)
- ADB root
- Full SELinux support
- Built in android 6.0 tree
- Samsung encryption is not supported yet in TWRP 3 (see: https://gerrit.omnirom.org/#/c/17308/)
CONTACT & SUPPORT
You can find us on IRC at #twrp on chat.freenode.net.
You can also post in this thread and I will attempt to answer any questions you may have.
TWRP: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery (android-6.0)
Device tree: https://github.com/jcadduono/android...amsung_j7xelte (android-6.0)
Kernel: https://github.com/jcadduono/android...ung_exynos7870 (twrp-6.0)
Gerrit for TWRP: http://gerrit.omnirom.org/
Gerrit for officially supported devices: http://gerrit.twrp.me/