Originally Posted by jcadduono
Team Win Recovery Project 3.0.2-0
FULL STEPS FOR OBTAINING ROOT
* MTP, known as Media Transfer Protocol, is the same way you transfer files from your PC to your device when booted into system.
- In your ROM, go to Settings -> About device. Tap 7 times on Build number to enable Developer options.
- Now go to Settings -> Developer options. (above About device)
You need to enable OEM unlock, otherwise you might end up with boot problems or be unable to flash later on.
- Make sure your don't have Factory Reset Protection enabled in your Google account or you may never be able to boot again!
More information: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en
- Extract Odin_3.10.7.zip to your computer.
- Install Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers for Odin to find your device.
- Download a .tar image of TWRP for j7xelte.
- Reboot your device into Download mode. To do this, select reboot from the power menu and hold the [Volume Down] + [Home] buttons while your device reboots.
Once you reach the Download mode warning screen, press [Volume Up] to continue.
- Open Odin and place that TWRP tar file in the [AP] slot, under Options tab disable Auto Reboot, then press [Start].
- Once the flash is complete (Odin should tell you in the log, and progress bar on phone should stop), you can pull the battery then place the battery back in. Now hold [Volume Up] + [Home] + [Power] buttons until you reach recovery mode.
If you end up in stock recovery, start again from download mode step.
- At this point, you will reach the screen asking you if you want to allow system modifications.
You will want to swipe to allow, otherwise the OS will replace TWRP once you boot!
- If you want to be rooted with SuperSU:
Download the latest SuperSU by Chainfire.
Without exiting TWRP, transfer the SuperSU zip to your device over MTP* and flash it using [Install] in TWRP.
- Go to [Reboot] -> [System].
i have SM-J710FN. if I only follow below 3 steps, then will i b able to root my device ??
1. allow usb debugging and OEM unlock
2. flash official TWRP via Odin ... then re insert battery & reboot into TWRP
3. wipe data in TWRP and then falsh SuperSU via TWRP
is it enough.. Do I need to flash kernels first ??