[DEV]Semi Sucessful custom roms on US Cellular SCH-R960

Search This thread

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
Hi! I am rebel1699. I have done work on the S4 i337 (root for 4.4.2). Recently, I bought an SCH-R960 for something to do. After messing with it for a while, I have discovered that custom roms are indeed possible, but with some things that need work. Here is my current configuration

SlimKat 4.4.4
Philz Touch Recovery

As you may know, the touch recoveries do not respond to touch on this model. However, the vol +/- and power for select still work fine. After getting this ironed out, it was time to experiment. I downloaded SlimKat, and made a few modifications. Booted to recovery and made my nandroid. Then, on to wipes and install. Results---

Upon reboot, I was greeted with the "Warranty bit:kernel" on the top of the sceen. I didnt care. Warranty was long gone anyways. But, it booted into SlimKat just fine. Heres where the dev needs to begin. There is NO TOUCH. I even made a flashable of the stock 4.4.2 kernel modules, but still no help. Not unexpected, considering the recoveries do the same. Using my otg, I connected a mouse for navigation. It is indeed the custom kernel. WiFi, bt, and everything else seem to work fine. I cannot test cellular operation as I am not a US Cellular customer. So, there is another issue. I guess it could be possible to flash a correct radio. Not sure.

First things first---We need touch drivers working on this to go any further. We get that, and sky is the limit.

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
You probably have to backported the input drivers for your model

Just pull official kernel sources from samsung open modify the drivers of cm kernel

Sent from my HTC D816w using XDA Free mobile app

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
You probably have to backported the input drivers for your model

Just pull official kernel sources from samsung open modify the drivers of cm kernel

Same as I was thinking. Sound is also out, but I fully expected that to be the case. Pulling the sammy input drivers should also allow for a custom touch recovery to be modified for the device. TWRP 2.7.0.1, preferrably. I will see what I can do over the next few days. Just started using a new laptop, so I have to get the time to sit down and set up a new dev environment. But again, I wont be able to test cellular radio compatibility. I use AT&T, so nno good for that.

Personally, Im buying the i9200 intl for my own use. But ill do what I can to help these US Cellular folks. They have not seen any development at all. Craigslist is littered with this SCH-R960. I understand why.

MeatHammer311

Jul 9, 2014
Dover
Why

Why are you saying that the touch recovery's don't work on this model. I flashed philz on mine and used it to gain root. Worked just fine for me!

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
Why are you saying that the touch recovery's don't work on this model. I flashed philz on mine and used it to gain root. Worked just fine for me!

Because after flashing both philz touch and twrp 2.7.1.0 meliusltexxx recoveries, touch works on neither. The boot image does not contain the touch input drivers for the SCH-R960. Manual navigation is still operable

Grarak

Recognized Developer
Jan 16, 2012
Vienna
I guess you only have to enable some options in defconfig

Reactions: rebel1699

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
These options your talking about, are they options to enable touch on these recovery's??

The recoveries, and the roms. All either is lacking are those thing within thier perspective kernels. Roms will still need more work, eg...audio. And as I said, I cannot comment on the celluler end of it since I do not have US Cellular service.

Some of the roms need an edit to thier updater script to install. Others do not. They just have to be checked first. Just edit out anything that call to Format "0". I cant remember the mmcblk #

Last edited:

antimidas

Nov 11, 2010
helpfull

Any more progress with this? I have a sch-r960 and I would gladly help test roms or do what I can.
Cheers

I just bought one of these as well... have nandroid and stock... attempting to build up first rom/port.... we shall see... so device tree anywhere... tried to flash meliusltexx roms, but always get error 7

antimidas

Nov 11, 2010
so cm 11 installed... shows lte... no touch... not sure where to go from here.... new to this... always just been a flasher..... never tried to port....

antimidas

Nov 11, 2010
hmmmmm

not sure what to change other than specific model... it points to /system/xbin/touch, but there is no file there... yet in deodexedf stock rom the updater-script points to /system/bin/touch... which also is not in that zip either. gonna try to compile aosp then pull my touch file from phone i guess..... a bt difficult to find specific info at this point

rebel1699

Feb 13, 2008
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 4 XL
not sure what to change other than specific model... it points to /system/xbin/touch, but there is no file there... yet in deodexedf stock rom the updater-script points to /system/bin/touch... which also is not in that zip either. gonna try to compile aosp then pull my touch file from phone i guess..... a bt difficult to find specific info at this point

I would help more, but sadly I do not have the phone anymore. Anything more from me would be no more than wild speculation, lol.

antimidas

Nov 11, 2010
I would help more, but sadly I do not have the phone anymore. Anything more from me would be no more than wild speculation, lol.

i need idea of what to edit.... just changing model names doesnt seem like it would work... but maybe im wrong... hardware is the same as meliusxx.... so i just dont get it... just gonna experiment i guess.... gonna go in and change all reference i see.... also may try to remove the part that lists the touch... maybe if it isn't flashed the orig firmware i lay over top of will keep driver intact.... i dunno, just gonna keep at it.... cant seem to get help anywhere. at least you responded!!! Thank You for that. /bow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I guess you only have to enable some options in defconfig