[Q] best headphones for galaxy nexus

Search This thread

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
A first-class audio headphone and accessories brand, SMS Audio, LLC is dedicated to improving the way people experience music. SMS Audio combines technology, function and style to bring the highest caliber of sound, comfort and fashion to every product;-)

I cant add link yet but try smsby50.com ;-)
Looks like some other rappers teamed up to battle Dre and his Beats line...

: grabs popcorn :

BFirebird101

Feb 10, 2011
Beats by dre. Yes they're over priced, but hot damn they're amazing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App on UNL3ASH3D R3BLURR3D V2.3 and will continue to be sent from here until I buy the Galaxy Nexus 32GB

Hamoor

Jun 24, 2010
I never liked beats headphones.
Yeah they are pumpin the bass to crazy levels which is nice for some hip hop but for any other kind of music it is just mediocre.

djcr33p

Feb 3, 2011
London
Anyone tried the Sennheiser MM100s? Bluetooth headphones. They look/sound awesome and thinkin of gettin some for my New Galaxy Nexus....

spiralz

Jan 2, 2008
darn sarf
Beats by Dre are, at best, £40 headphones masquerading as £150+ ones, purely because of branding.

dead right there....

for all the best info google "headfi"

external dac = digital to analogue converter, you would need to output usb digital from the GN to an external DAC/headphone amp but i doubt the GN will do digital audio over usb.

when u start spending over £100 the limitation in audio quality will the DAC in the phone to be honest...

my 2p

rosswaa

Apr 13, 2010
Beats suck for sound, they went the iPod route and made something that's just OK and marketed it really well to boost sales

Unless there's a line out then there's not much point spending loads but senns are good I had a few pairs of shure but don't last long, you could try akgs?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

snapilica2003

Dec 29, 2008
Bucharest
I have only one recommendation to make: Sennheiser PX200-IIi (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_mobile_music_504163).

The "i" is because they also have a mic and control for play/pause/ff/rw/answer/hangup and you can just get the PX200-II if you don't like that.They're not cheap and the first 50h sound like crap (never had a pair of headphones that changed so much during burn-in) but after the burn-in OMG do they sound amazing!!!

They are only beaten in quality by it's brother PX100-IIi (http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headsets_mobile_music_504162). They are basically the same but the 200's are closed type and the 100's are open type. If you want to listen on the subway or outside in general you want the closed ones, it gives better isolation for you and for the people near you. But if this is not a problem, the 100's are more warm and with an overall better sound.

shoobiedoobiiwhompwop

Feb 5, 2012
budget but REALLY good for the price -meelectronics m6p > hands down!

m11p+ > klipsch s4 & nuforce ne-7m

yes the > means better than.
enjoy

d3rutat

Feb 21, 2009
Bucharest
www.bonsaiclub.ro
Asking for headphone suggestions won't get you nowhere. This matter is so subjective, it's hard to decide from other people's opinions.

That being said, i'm going to try to narrow it down for you a little bit.

I would first want to decide on the form-factor. There are two main forms there, over-the-ear headphones (or cans as they are called) and in-ear-monitor (or IEM) which fit inside your ear. Choosing between the two is just a matter of personal preference, as both can sound the same. I've personally went for IEM as i find them easier to carry around and they look better for me.

Second, you must decide on your budget. If money ain't a thing, then by all means, get some custom IEMs or some expensive cans, but since you're asking here i guess that's not the case. Therefore, i can only make one suggestion:

A decent pair of headphones starts at above 100 EUR. Anything lower will most likely not bring any discernable improvement. Now, since a 100+ investment is not a small amount of money, i recommend, whichever way you take, (cans or IEMs) to get ones that have a replaceable cable. Simply put, your headphone will surely outlast your cables, which will break, tangle, snap etc., and you'll be stuck with a worthless pair of earphones that cannot be repaired.

If you're going for IEMs i would recommend taking a look at Shure SE series. The entry model SE215 sells for around 100 EUR and sounds really good compared to the stock ones. They also come with replaceable cables.

If you want more you can also upgrade to the higher end models, but to be honest, it's not worth the money. I bought the SE215 and SE535 and the difference between them is so small it's not worth 200 EURO's...

Regarding a DAC, i haven't gotten mine yet, but from what i've read, on high sensitivity IEM's such as Shure's the improvement is not so big as on low sensitivity headphones (such as cans). A good cheap DAC would be Fiio E17.

wookaru

Jan 12, 2012
I like the stock earphones but i wanted to take it to the next level to see if those expensive ear/headphones really worth it or not

I would agree that the stock headphones are actually pretty nice and sound fairly good, as far as freebees go.

I do have one set of expensive AKG cans that I love and sound great connected to any device (including this phone) but they are bulky, so they rarely leave my house and don't get a whole lot of use.

My recommendation would be, if you like the stock headphones, save your money and stick with those, especially if you are looking for something you will be wearing around a lot. That way you won't have to worry about loosing/damaging your expensive audio equipment when you are on the go. Worst case scenario, you drop/step on/break your ear buds and you are only out $20ish instead of $100.

Sweeny Russ

Aug 27, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
The stock headphones are complete crap if you care even a little about sound. They are hollow and lifeless. They are wonderful for walking the dogs because I can still hear traffic, but for the gym and the lawn I use the skull candy titans and I think for the price you can't beat them. They are a little bass heavy, but they do not short on highs and mids. I think they're like $40 in the states. Just be careful you have the volume turned down before you put these in your ears, they can make you deaf. By comparison I have Sennheiser IE60's that are amazing, but honestly I paid $199.99 plus shipping and except for relaxing around the house I'm afraid to use them for anything. So I say go with the Skull Candy Titans, I was very impressed.

bpm2000

Aug 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
Maybe its because I'm coming from the N1 but the audio is nice for a phone. Been using the Sleek SA6 with it and it sounds pretty good.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have recently got into headphones over the past year. My current favorite headphones to use with my Gnex are the V-Moda M-80's. They sound amazing and they are low powered so the Gnex has no problems driving them. They are high quality and every way from the sound to the build quality. The cable is wrapped in kevlar which is unheard of in a headphone, especially one thats not that expensive (approx $200). Another cool thing about the cable is that its removable in case it ever gets damaged. They actually include 2 cables with the M-80's and both have mic's and volume controls. 1 is for android phones and the other is for apple devices so if you still use a ipod you will have cord controls for that too. Which is nice.

Like i said earlier i have got into headphones recently and since than i have learned how amazing headphone amps are. I pair my M-80's with a portable amp called the PA2V2 (Pocket amp 2 Ver 2) and i have never heard music sound so good from a mobile device. The amp really isnt necessary but it adds so much to the quality of the music.

Check out the reviews on the M-80's on Head-Fi. Head-Fi is the place to go to check out reviews on head-phone before you by them. Sound quality is their #1 priority, everything else comes after and style is probably the last thing they consider when reviewing headphones. But it just so happens the M-80's look sweet.

Here's a link the imformation page on the PA2V2 amp i mentioned. You can look up reviews on Head-Fi for it as well. The guy that make this amp is awesome. If you decide to by one email him 1st instead of buying from his ebay page. He will probably give you the option to buy it for around $60 shipped and if you tell him what headphones you plan to use with them. He will even adjust the gain for you to match your headphones. thats easy to do but for newb's its a nice thing. There are smaller amps out there by a company called Fiio but you will eventually want a more powerful amp once you start listening to high quality headphones. Fiio makes a lot of nice amps also but the more powerful ones can be pricey.

If the M-80's are out of your price range check out V-Moda's Crossfade Lp's. Those are over the ear so they'll be bigger then the M-80's but you can get those around 100's on amazon and they are also a awesome set of cans.

And if that is still too much check out the Grado sr60i's

I dont really use earbuds so i cant suggest any of those. My last word of advice is take your time. You want the best sound w the budget you can afford.

Ps. I also agree that Beats are terrible and you should avoid them.
    Beats by Dre are, at best, £40 headphones masquerading as £150+ ones, purely because of branding.
    Beats Tours are hands down the best in ear headphones on the market

Sent from my i9250 (GSM) Galaxy Nexus.
    Phazenine@Twitter

A lot of people on Amazon would disagree. I've played with some Beats headphones and Ill be honest, I think it's all hype.
    Lmao at beats being the best on the market. Wow

I'm currently using the a jays one+ so far so good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2