Official Galaxy Nexus Car Dock with TRUE 3-pin functionality! (2012-08-10 Update!)

Search This thread

Samzebian

May 22, 2010
Westfield
Based on the photoshop of the side-by-side comparison of the GSM and CDMA versions in the androidforums.com thread, it's pretty clear the pins don't line up. I think those of us with the CDMA phones are SOL.

Are you effing kidding me?! I've been checking back at this thread nearly everyday to get the opportunity to order one...

Can I get a link to these comparison photos?

cryptiq

Sep 21, 2010
Are you effing kidding me?! I've been checking back at this thread nearly everyday to get the opportunity to order one...

Can I get a link to these comparison photos?

Yeah, IMO that's the final nail in the coffin. Here's the link. http://androidforums.com/3777598-post130.html
Here's what we have against us:

1) The 3-pin wasn't available at launch for CDMA, yet it's been in the works for GSM. I would think at this point if there were any chance of us getting a 3-pin dock for the CDMA phone we'd here some inkling of news.
2) With the rate of churn in which Vz is releasing new 4G phones, I think they're more interested in the next big thing than what's currently in the market. I don't see them going back to Samsung and ordering a new dock.
3) The photoshop comparison. Yeah it is what it is, it's not the most scientific analysis but there's no good reason to completely discredit it. Couple that with the fact that Samsung has publicly stated the GSM dock isn't compatible and I think it's safe to say we can stop holding our collective breaths.

Our saving grace would probably have to come from Sprint. Let's hope they throw us a bone. Dunno what's Sprint accessory line up is historically, but I'd be willing to fork over some money to Sprint if it meant the ability to pre-order the 3-pin dock. Personally, I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

efdisastet

Dec 20, 2009
Based on the photoshop of the side-by-side comparison of the GSM and CDMA versions in the androidforums.com thread, it's pretty clear the pins don't line up. I think those of us with the CDMA phones are SOL.

Can we get an ACTUAL comparison. I don't like photoshop comparisons. Doesn't someone know someone who "imported" a GSM Galaxy Nexus?

grinchyyy

May 10, 2011
Does anyone think a Facebook campaign on Samsung or VZ will help? I'm guessing we may not have the numbers to pull it off...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dreadmador

Apr 1, 2011
While it would be genuinely disappointing if the GSM dock does not work with the CDMA phone, I agree that Sprint's announcement to carry the GNex is a ray of hope. Either way, I plan to get a 3 pin dock that works, even if I have to do some precision modification to the GSM version.

push2flush

May 5, 2006
personally I think we'd have a better shot if we worked with Sprint...seems the ball is in their court.

I don't think the phone will be out on sprint until late march/april at the earliest. They still have a lot of LTE to lay down. This is turning into a lose/lose for verizon also. if they don't put out the "real" docks, they will upset plenty of customers. if they do put it out now, they will piss off everyone else who settled and/or didn't care at the time about the pin charging.

Accord281

Jul 21, 2010
I honestly believe the Photoshop is inaccurate. A couple things to notice: the power button height difference is the same as the pogo pin height difference. Also, the power button on the cdma one is uniform in shape. Mine is tapered like the GSM one. I think the cdma one pictured is a prototype or something.

Another thing that makes me curious is if the pogo pin cutout on the diztronic tpu case lines up on the cdma nexus. Can anyone confirm this? If they are centered perfectly then I believe that the pins would be in the same location as GSM since that case was designed for that phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Samzebian

May 22, 2010
Westfield
Can we get an ACTUAL comparison. I don't like photoshop comparisons. Doesn't someone know someone who "imported" a GSM Galaxy Nexus?

All we need i someone with a GSM Gnex to meet with someone with a CDMA model. Anybody here from NY? Or Boston? How about Chicago? Any other big cities, where a bunch of people will own these phones??? ;)

daveknights

Jan 22, 2008
Seattle
I honestly believe the Photoshop is inaccurate. A couple things to notice: the power button height difference is the same as the pogo pin height difference. Also, the power button on the cdma one is uniform in shape. Mine is tapered like the GSM one. I think the cdma one pictured is a prototype or something.

Another thing that makes me curious is if the pogo pin cutout on the diztronic tpu case lines up on the cdma nexus. Can anyone confirm this? If they are centered perfectly then I believe that the pins would be in the same location as GSM since that case was designed for that phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

You make a good point about the Diztronic case theory. I have the first case that had issues and the only problem was the volume rocker being slightly off. The Pogo cutout was still aligned properly so that gives another glimmer of hope.
I'll also add that I also got 2 revision-3 replacements from Diztronic. Not sure if they sent the second one on accident or what but I'm okay with an extra good case.

ellesshoo

Jul 10, 2010
All we need i someone with a GSM Gnex to meet with someone with a CDMA model. Anybody here from NY? Or Boston? How about Chicago? Any other big cities, where a bunch of people will own these phones??? ;)

I have a GSM nexus and my wife has lte nexus. I will try to remember to compare them when we are both home from work. What should I be looking for in particular when comparing them? I have a digital caliper I can use to measure things but I'd like to know what measurements to take since it would be a PITA to take every single dimension on this device with all the curves.

Also, we both have extended batteries but I still have both original batteries and covers as well.

Reactions: Muo

halo0

Jun 3, 2011
Ann Arbor, MI
A side view picture of them standing up on a table so we can see the pogo pin positions would be ideal I think.

Also, there's an extended battery for the GSM version?! Care to share some info?

UnknownPleasures

Sep 4, 2010
|| DET ||
I had a GSM model but returned it and bought the LTE model on contract.

So if someone is around Uke Village in Chicago and has the GSM model (cough Chris Ziegler cough) I can meet up at a coffee shop or something and snap a few pictures.

Also, I tweeted at him to see if he can do this with another Verge member or if he'll meet up back here in Chicago.

Reactions: theotherrogue

ellesshoo

Jul 10, 2010
A side view picture of them standing up on a table so we can see the pogo pin positions would be ideal I think.

Also, there's an extended battery for the GSM version?! Care to share some info?

Not sure how I'll manage to balance them upright but I'll see what I can do.

Purchased the extended GSM battery from a Korean eBay seller ( Korean gnex is shipping with the extended battery so I imagine that's how the seller obtained them). "Shimshop" is the eBay seller name if I recall correctly. It works just like the LTE extended battery and back cover in that it basically fills in the hump at the bottom. I can say even with out my wife's phone in front of me that the GSM version maintains the same thickness difference compared to the LTE version also with the extended battery

phocus

Mar 12, 2008
Clinton
I found one at Fommy

http://www.fommy.com/view-full-page...e+GALAXY+Nexus&cat=Vehicle+Mounts&skuno=93056

I emailed and asked them to check it.

Hello, yes the mount which is shown online has the 3-pin connector, as well as a Micro USB and 3.5mm plug for charging and audio output. This is compatible with both the GSM & LTE versions of the Galaxy Nexus. Thanks

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: MVU-946685
Department: Fommy.com HelpDesk
Priority: Low

Reactions: jdavet

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, wife went to work a little early so I scrambled to take these pics. It was still dark and the lighting was pretty bad. That along with the fact that I had to use a Nexus S to take the pics resulted in some bad photos. Keep in mind their are shadows b/c of the lighting and I didn't have time to perfectly snap pictures from 90 degree angles (need a second pair of hands to do this properly I think). So all those caveats aside, here are the pics.. Also, I have one of those skins on the GSM version, I doubt it makes it much thicker, but just thought I'd mention it.

From top to first pogo pin (mm). Shadows/camera angle make these look different, they look equivalent in person (GSM bottom, LTE top... both with extended battery)
    img20120112080420.jpg

From top to last pogo pin (mm). Same situation as the previous image.
    img20120112080453.jpg

Thickness of LTE version at the center pogo pin. I didn't take a GSM measurement b/c I put tiny scratch in the screen of this one with the caliper.. hopefully wife doesn't notice. (This is with extended battery)
    img20120112080550.jpg

Side by side.. extended battery. GSM looks glossy b/c it has a skin on it like I mentioned earlier.
    img20120112080650.jpg

volume side. extended battery on both. LTE top, GSM bottom.
    img20120112080743.jpg

pogo pin side. same arrangement as previous image (LTE top, GSM bottom)
    img20120112080803.jpg

Batteries (from left to right: LTE extended, GSM extended, LTE standard, GSM standard)
    img20120112081126.jpg

Batteries again. TOP Left: LTE extended, BOTTOM Left: LTE Standard, TOP Right: GSM Extended, BOTTOM Right: GSM standard.
    img20120112081243.jpg

Comparison with standard battery installed. TOP: GSM, BOTTOM: LTE
    img20120112081433.jpg

Backplates & batteries. From left to right: LTE extended, LTE standard, GSM extended, GSM standard. GSM backplates are glossy b/c of the skin.
    img20120112081615.jpg
    I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.
    Does anyone know where we can get this dock in the US?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-nexus-vehicle-dock-ecs-k1f2begstd-p33499.htm

Apparently, VZ was selling the el cheapo version:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...ay-want-to-pass-on-the-car-dock-from-verizon/

no true 3 pin docking functionality built in! It was essentially a $40 piece of plastic.

Here's a video of the dock in action. This has to be the most functional dock in existence. The only thing you'd want more is probably an ext antenna connection but mobiles don't have those! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7TgFmP74I&feature=player_embedded

DOCK SOFTWARE UPDATE 2012-06-06:
    From Efrant: I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.

Coming soon, directly from Google, $54 USD:

https://play.google.com/store/devic...alaxy_nexus_hspa_car_dock&feature=accessories

galaxy_nexus_car_dock_banner_002.png

If everyone clicks on the NOTIFY ME button, Google will get the message that many customers are waiting for this product!
    So if I got this right:

LTE Nexus fits the Car dock
    It charges
    It works with AUX audio
    and the Pins all make contact

only question I have left is, does it work with the extended OEM battery for the LTE version?

I'm waiting for confirmation, I have my mouse ready to click "BUY" lol

Yes the OE extended battery fits.
    1st pic is with the standard battery
    0cb094a2-7c70-588b.jpg

this 2nd pic is with the extended battery and cover
    0cb094a2-7c8e-0926.jpg

I jumped the gun on the pic but it did charge once it finished booting

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XST4dFDi0WY&feature=youtu.be

There we go. I have a good video of my cats playing too if you are bored :)