Stock vs Extended Battery review?

Search This thread

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
On my LTE Nexus, I'm happy to see more than 11 hours really. With less than stellar signal, my battery is eaten alive. Being on Wifi all day helps, but it's the reason I have trouble picking it over my S3.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Actually a friend of mind has both, after a year his stock battery outperformed the 2100mAh extended... I called BS, now I have that very same extended battery, lose about 2% per minute of screen on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
Actually a friend of mind has both, after a year his stock battery outperformed the 2100mAh extended... I called BS, now I have that very same extended battery, lose about 2% per minute of screen on.

I'm going to have to check this soon. I actually haven't used the stock battery for anmore than a total of 2 weeks. I bought the extended battery less than a week after I got the phone. The only other time I used it was on a trip where I needed my OtterBox and couldn't get over that hump the extended battery caused.

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
Well I just reflashed PA 3.10 and recalibrated the battery, so I'm going to see how today goes. I'm constantly trying to love this phone, but the battery life makes it hard for me :(. I also flashed a new radio, so I'm going to see if that helps.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Everyone *****es about battery for every phone... Is there any Android phone with good battery life?...other than the RAZR Maxx...

pez910

Feb 23, 2011
That's the thing, the only phone I've had that the battery life has really killed the experience for me was the GNex. I can get 2 hours of screen time, sure, but I'll be at 50% or less by the time I do. My S3 isn't this way at all. I can use the screen for 2 hours and still be at 70-80%.

And while I was conducting my test with the extended battery, my device SOD'ed on me. I'll give it one last try next week with the stock battery, but if not, I'm cutting my losses.

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
SOD'd? Is that when the battery randomly dies at whatever percent it happens to be on? That's an issue with 4.1.x I believe, no issues here on 4.2.2.

Krog216

Aug 11, 2012
What I would personally recommend is getting a portable charger and carrying it with you. That's what I do. Works fine for me. Good 6000mAh ones will run you about $50.

With franco's kernel, MMuzzy's French Vanilla ROM, and undervolting I've been getting excellent battery life. I'll do a test tomorrow just to see how it lasts without being charged.

If you haven't tried undervolting, I can't recommend it enough. I was able to undervolt every setting by 75mV, and then overclock it to 1305mHz while still consuming less power than the stock settings. My phone gets cold when left idle, and under max load with the screen at 100% it only gets slightly warm.