This app uses the barometer to simulate an altimeter - a surprisingly sensitive one at that.
* Hardware accelerated via OpenGL - no lag whatsoever with smooth analogue and digital updates
* Automatic pressure setting download
* Multiple themes
* Light CPU and memory footprint
* Metric and imperial units - metres / feet, and hPa / inHg.
* Better landscape support
Anything with ICS and a barometer. It'll probably (definitely) crash if you try it on something without.
Feature suggestions welcome!
[v0.4 Beta Released]
Attached is a preview release of the app. Please bear in mind that it's a very, VERY early alpha of what the final thing is going to be like for anyone interested in testing it.
* Correct indications (both digital and analogue)
* Correct vertical speed calculations
* QNH adjustment
* QNH download
* Preferences (with the exception of theming)
* Incorrect analogue needle movement if QNH rapidly increased - might be fixed.
How to use - READ ME:
Any barometric altimeter can only give correct indications when referenced to the correct pressure setting, which in Europe is measured in hectopascals and in the Americas, inches of mercury (inHg).
To locate the correct pressure setting, you can look it up at a nearby airport. Go to this link and put in a four letter ICAO identifier (for example, EGCC is Manchester, England) and look for the part QXXXX, which is the current pressure setting to use.
Alternatively, you can have the app download it automatically by inserting the ICAO identifier in the preferences. You'll know it's got a valid pressure setting by the "AUTO" indication in the bottom right corner.
The app is now compatible with American (ie, inHg) units. However, you might notice a slight glitch when using it where changing the QNH manually alters it by +/- 0.02 inHg. This is basically a rounding error: the app is only accurate to the nearest 10 ft, and .01 inHg is about 9.5 feet, hence the issue. Which isn't really an issue.
Please let me know if you get either an incorrect reading; a force close; or something else funky. It should remember QNH settings on pause / exit / rotation but if you've got it on auto-update, it'll invalidate the old measurements after 20 minutes.
* Themes added (six to choose from)
* Much time wasted trying to add digits to the analogue display. Given up.
* Analogue dial size increased
* About dialog fixed
* Bug fixes.
* Automatic QNH download
* Preferences fixed
* Units selectable
* VSI (units/minute) - though not actually tested yet.
* Bug fixes
* Fixed force-close on non-English devices.
* Correct xhdpi action bar icons.