340 posts
Thanks Meter: 873

By baldwinguy77, Senior Member on 9th February 2014, 05:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th February 2014, 01:30 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 26

Donate to Me
More
Wow! Thanks for the "official" ROM! flashing it now.

Thanks @Sesme for taking care of us before the official rom came out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garuhhh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift garuhhh Ad-Free

10th February 2014, 03:01 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 858

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osid

I've read that it's not possibile to flash ROM over a stock 4.3 rom.

Someone can confirm this? Also if I wipe /cache partition and Dalvik cache?

Investigating it seems that zip file contains an update script which only overwrites the entire /system mount point.

So, what are the consequences of updating ROM over a stock 4.3 rom?

For me, dirty flash from stock -> AOSP/CM/etc never worked after ICS. Phone will get stuck at boot animation for some odd reason.

A dirty flash of an AOSP 4.3 ROM -> AOSP 4.4 ROM would usually work out fine however.

You could nandroid your /system /data /boot /cache partitions and give dirty flash a try. If it doesn't boot up after 10-15 minutes, you can do a battery pull, and restore your nandroid to get your phone back working.

Then backup all you need to backup (sms backup restore, titanium backup, etc), then install the ROM and wipe factory reset from recovery then restore your phone using apps/Play Store/etc manually.
10th February 2014, 03:03 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
To anyone who has installed this ROM, does the status bar stutter under certain conditions like other KitKat roms?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
10th February 2014, 03:11 PM |#24  
Flag Milano
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash3656

You could nandroid your /system /data /boot /cache partitions and give dirty flash a try.

A slight OT question:

I haven't free space on GN in order to nandroid all the partitions (they need 8GB of free space).
It's possbile with a (free) app or shell scripts, store nandroid backup on PC "on the fly"? Restore it from PC with a recovery?
10th February 2014, 03:22 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 826

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxisalive

To anyone who has installed this ROM, does the status bar stutter under certain conditions like other KitKat roms?

Would love to know this.

10th February 2014, 03:34 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekS

Would love to know this.

Quote:

You mean the whole notification screen you slide down? The transistions are absolutely smooth, but with many apps opened or when using a heavy app/game it will stutter. But it has the best performance of all KitKat ROMs I tried in terms of transitions.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaNi_! For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaNi_! Ad-Free
10th February 2014, 04:08 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNi_!

You mean the whole notification screen you slide down? The transistions are absolutely smooth, but with many apps opened or when using a heavy app/game it will stutter. But it has the best performance of all KitKat ROMs I tried in terms of transitions.

I guess I'll give this ROM a shot.

10th February 2014, 04:30 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 858

More
Quote:

It still does it randomly for me. But even with that this ROM seems to be the smoothest one for me with after 48 hours of uptime. Omni has smoother notification pull down and smoother quick setting animation, but that's about it. Most (but not all) ROMs leak RAM or just have super weird I/O lag after 48 hours of uptime for me including Omni when I last tried it. It may be better now.

Mind you, I recommend removing/disabling unneeded GApps else you might find the ROM a little laggy (happens when those pesky Play Books/Magazine/Newstand/etc and G+ start syncing together) and also flash the AOSP browser add-on and use that instead of Chrome.
The Following User Says Thank You to akash3656 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akash3656 Ad-Free
10th February 2014, 04:47 PM |#29  
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 24,820

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaich

@osm0sis
If I simply add to "gapps list" in your zip the apps I do not want to be flashed, will it work?
Something like that:

Code:
/system/app/BasicDreams.apk
/system/app/BasicDreams.odex
/system/app/Books.apk
/system/app/CalendarGoogle.apk
/system/app/Chrome.apk
/system/app/CloudPrint2.apk
/system/app/Drive.apk
/system/app/EmailGoogle.apk
/system/app/EmailGoogle.odex
/system/app/Exchange2Google.apk
/system/app/Exchange2Google.odex
/system/app/FaceLock.apk
/system/app/GenieWidget.apk
/system/app/Gmail2.apk
/system/app/GoogleEars.apk
/system/app/GoogleEarth.apk
/system/app/GoogleTTS.apk
/system/app/Hangouts.apk
/system/app/HPPrintPlugin.apk
/system/app/Keep.apk
/system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
/system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.odex
/system/app/Magazines.apk
/system/app/Maps.apk
/system/app/Music2.apk
/system/app/Nfc.apk
/system/app/Nfc.odex
/system/app/PlayGames.apk
/system/app/PlusOne.apk
/system/app/PrintSpooler.apk
/system/app/PrintSpooler.odex
/system/app/QuickOffice.apk
/system/app/Street.apk
/system/app/SunBeam.apk
/system/app/Videos.apk
/system/app/YouTube.apk
/system/priv-app/GoogleFeedback.apk
/system/priv-app/GooglePartnerSetup.apk
/system/priv-app/MusicFX.apk
/system/priv-app/MusicFX.odex
/system/priv-app/TagGoogle.apk
/system/priv-app/TagGoogle.odex
/system/priv-app/talkback.apk
/system/priv-app/Velvet.apk
/system/priv-app/Wallet.apk

Yeah pretty much, but remember some of those things (like Basic Daydreams, NFC, and Wallpaper Picker) are attached to Settings directly so I would not recommend removing them or you risk an unstable ROM. You're better off just disabling them at most. That's what I do with the GApps I don't need. I wouldn't remove Feedback either since that's the crash reporter that is supposed to automatically pop up with a FC.

Looks like there are a couple more GApps in the official Shiny (HP Print, etc.) than in the unofficial port; I'll update my zip later today.

Edit: Also, you can't remove Velvet on this ROM since it's the only launcher.

New zip up now.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 05:45 PM |#30  
Flag Venezuela
Thanks Meter: 28

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

i know what are you talking about, i asked why is this happening before and never got an answer... the status bar get a little bit stutter when (for me) i have a pair number of icons(like clock,signal,wifi and alarm) if i remove the alarm icon or if i add the vibration icon (5 icons or 3 icons) the statusbar is smooth now...

sorry for bad english
10th February 2014, 09:22 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'll give this a go, thanks.

If anyone has tried either the Barclays or Sky Go apps on this and can let me know if they work (they complain about root and other things) that would be great, thanks.

Edit: Obviously I mean on the non-rooted version of the ROM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gnex, maguro, nexus, rom, shiny

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)