FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][7.x][unified] Slim7

10,004 posts
Thanks Meter: 26,820

Post Reply Email Thread

Slim7
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unified)

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

Slim7 is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 7.x Nougat and offers the following original features:
  • Slim Navbar & Hardware key rebinding
    • ​Single tap action,​​ ​long press action, double tap action!-We’ve got you covered.
  • Slim Actions & Chamber of secrets
    • ​Customise your device to the fullest​​ ​-You’re a wizard!
  • SlimRecents
    • A Faster alternative to stock recents ​-Your device, your choice.
  • SlimLauncher
    • ​An​ ​Open​ ​source,​ ​feature​ ​filled​ ​launcher!​​ ​-Make yourself at home
  • Status bar customisations
    • ​Clock and Date? Battery? ​-More​ ​fun​ ​than​ ​you​ ​can​ ​shake​ ​a​ ​stick​ ​at.
Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * If you dont like this rom, Stay away from this thread! 
 */
Download:
Unified tuna Slim7
ROM Downloads for all supported devices, general information (How to flash? What about Gapps? Etc. etc.) can be found here

TWRP with hardware decryption support can be found here

Important links:
slimroms.org - The official webpage where you find everything you need to know about SlimRoms.

Installation instructions - Follow these steps to the letter if you're about to install SlimRoms on your device.

Slim FAQ

Get in touch! - Contact SlimRoms at these places if you have questions, requests or feedback.

Google+

Twitter

Facebook

Disclaimer: SlimRoms are not responsible for any damages to your device.

Want to support development? You can consider donating, we've spent countless of hours with this (:

XDA:DevDB Information
[unified] Slim7, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
Android-Andi, Ziyan, SlimRoms
Source Code: https://github.com/slimroms

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x

Version Information

Created 2017-04-29
Last Updated 2017-08-18
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Android-Andi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Android-Andi Ad-Free

29th April 2017, 01:22 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Just uploading initial build, will be up in some minutes. Initial build uploaded.
First boot takes a while because i had to disable dex-preoptimization as it caused bootloop while connecting to WiFi.
29th April 2017, 04:31 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 188

More
Hello @Android-Andi,
first of all thank you for all you're doing to support tunas.
Here are two bugs I'm actually aware:
- green lines and artifacts previewing mpeg4 videos in gallery (just the static image, play them is OK)
- if you try to add a photo to owner profile in settings, phone reboots when saving image
Attached full boot logcat with both these bugs triggered.
Thanks again
yen
Attached Files
File Type: zip Slim7_official_crash.log.zip - [Click for QR Code] (71.9 KB, 74 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _yen_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _yen_ Ad-Free
30th April 2017, 12:10 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,162

More
Tested on toro, working as expected. Meaning, everything works except mobile data for me. Behavior is exactly the same as Unlegacy 7, so no surprises there. I'm on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) and that complicates things sometimes. Still, I was hoping that maybe it would just magically work on Slim7. Oh well... Thanks anyway, it is a very sweet ROM!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musical_chairs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift musical_chairs Ad-Free
30th April 2017, 09:24 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
It shouldn't complicate things at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical_chairs

Tested on toro, working as expected. Meaning, everything works except mobile data for me. Behavior is exactly the same as Unlegacy 7, so no surprises there. I'm on Page Plus (a Verizon MVNO) and that complicates things sometimes. Still, I was hoping that maybe it would just magically work on Slim7. Oh well... Thanks anyway, it is a very sweet ROM!

With PP now being a VZW MVNO, it shouldn't complicate anything (as long as your are running toro hardware). I took my toro to Tracfone (a split MVNO - between T-Mobile and VZW), and went specifically to the VZW side of things (two reasons - T-Mobile has always had signal issues here - or anywhere else, and VZW has Just Plain Worked - I'm a former VZW prepaid customer). Page Plus used to be a pager AND cellular service provider - with their own towers. I'm running Slim 7 beta because I wanted an SELinux enforcing ROM that ran N on my hardware; so far, Slim 7 is the only such. Even Lineage OS 14.1 (also unofficial) dropped back and punted to permissive - not enforcing. I won't touch MM with a ten-foot pair of chopsticks because performance bites compared to N on toro.

Followup - Slim 7 is now updating apps - all 77 of them from a previous ROM. Even better, for the first time on N, SafetyNet works (nothing broke it). I ran into a solvable problem with Android Pay, though - my VISA debit card doesn't support it (Android Pay, that is); rather amusingly, it DOES support VISA Checkout. Fortunately, that means that all I need to find is a debit card that DOES support Android Pay - time to warm up my Google-fu. (As expected, the Google-fu paid off; two banks near me have multiple branches where I can apply (and even pick up) a prepaid card on the spot - PNC and Wells Fargo (AKA Stagecoach Bank), and their prepaid cards are SPECIFICALLY supported by Android Pay. Rather oddly, a whole lot of prepaid cards are specifically denied - and from BIG banks, at that - CITI and AMEX tell their prepaid clients to hold the phone/phablet/tablet and don't even bother to try their prepaid cards. In addition to PNC and Wells, Bank of America says "si" to prepaid and Android Pay - the minus (for BOfA) is that they aren't the closest bank branch - rather amusingly, the closest bank branch where I can get a prepaid card used to be, in fact, a BOfA branch - it was acquired by PNC when BOfA did "the great branch thindown" in several states - and I don't live in either North Carolina (the current HQ of BOfA) or San Francisco (the historical beginning of BOfA and, interestingly, what is now VISA USA (originally BankAmeriCard).
The Following User Says Thank You to PGHammer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PGHammer Ad-Free
30th April 2017, 11:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1,162

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer

With PP now being a VZW MVNO, it shouldn't complicate anything (as long as your are running toro hardware). I took my toro to Tracfone (a split MVNO - between T-Mobile and VZW), and went specifically to the VZW side of things (two reasons - T-Mobile has always had signal issues here - or anywhere else, and VZW has Just Plain Worked - I'm a former VZW prepaid customer). Page Plus used to be a pager AND cellular service provider - with their own towers.

There used to be no difference between the settings for PP and VZW, but on October 31, 2016, Page Plus switched from Verizon's APN to Tracfone's APNs. This 'should' get updated automatically in our phones., but it doesn't because something is broken between our old RIL and any version of Android newer than KitKat. So it may be possible that data could 'just work' for a standard VZW activation yet be broken for me.

I never knew PP did anything other than re-sell VZW, that is interesting.
30th April 2017, 12:39 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical_chairs

There used to be no difference between the settings for PP and VZW, but on October 31, 2016, Page Plus switched from Verizon's APN to Tracfone's APNs. This 'should' get updated automatically in our phones., but it doesn't because something is broken between our old RIL and any version of Android newer than KitKat. So it may be possible that data could 'just work' for a standard VZW activation yet be broken for me.

I never knew PP did anything other than re-sell VZW, that is interesting.

I'm on the VZW half of Tracfone; hence it mattering exactly diddly. In fact, the reason it doesn't matter for me as that I use mostly wi-fi for data (as I don't exactly have a high-cap data plan with Tracfone) - instead, I use wi-fi for data. Do you have cable-TV? Check to see if your cable-TV provider has a connection to a network of hotspots. (Comcast XFINITY, Cox Communications, and Spectrum have the Hotspot Network - literally, a network of hotspots which customers of all three cable TV companies can access via login from their respective apps (available on Google Play). The Android APKs (also available for iOS devices) work on any Android device - I have Comcast's version of the app on both my phone AND my tablet - it was on my tablet first (since I've had it longer than my phone) - and my tablet is NOT a phablet. SMS and MMS can be used over wi-fi as well; you just can't use Google Hangouts (as it doesn't support wi-fi). However, Google Messenger does - which is why it's on my tablet. (Rather amusingly, VZW Message+ can be used over wi-fi as well - it's also available on Google Play - at a cost of nil.)

As far as things being broke in the transition, that's on PagePlus - not you, and not even Tracfone, either.

I came back to post yet another followup - Magisk 12 DOES work on Slim 7, as does both Masisk SU for root (and Magisk Hide, to handle SafetyNet breakage due to being rooted).
30th April 2017, 01:50 PM |#8  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
I have uploaded a 2nd build silently which contains ffmpeg support (previous build was missing a small part). @musical_chairs yeah, i already thought Verizon still has broken mobile data here too, maybe we'll find a solution later.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Android-Andi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Android-Andi Ad-Free
30th April 2017, 02:05 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 188

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGHammer

Even better, for the first time on N, SafetyNet works (nothing broke it).

Very interesting, not only because safetynet works on @Android-Andi build but because it works also in my Slim7 home builds when it instead fails in UA7 builds. Both my builds are userdebug and uses the same UA staging kernel, so safetynet failure in UA7 seems not related to kernel or build type... any idea someone?
Sorry for OT, bye.
yen
The Following User Says Thank You to _yen_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift _yen_ Ad-Free
1st May 2017, 08:42 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Thanks, the only thing I've noticed is some artifacts on the edges of the boot animation. Didn't notice them on first boot but maybe I wasn't paying close attention.

Oh, and night light doesn't work but I think that's an issue with unlegacy. Cf.lumen only works in nonroot mode as well.

Feels snappier than the Dirty Unicorn builds too.
The Following User Says Thank You to bwalter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bwalter Ad-Free
1st May 2017, 05:44 PM |#11  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for this Andi.
I too saw the artifacts on the boot animation, but this will serve nicely as a backup car music player.
I wouldn't be able to test mobile data until my Verizon G4 bootloops.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)