Gravity Free Distribution is a ROM/Distribution that tries to give you a rich open source only out-of-the-box user experience. No GAPPS, not proprietary software. Blobs are still included, but I hope to replace them as replicant matures (rild would be great, but it's missing one feature right now).
The ROM is currently derived from OmniROM with the key addition being native integration of the superuser app (as several open source apps rely on root access) and some build system changes (mainly to push apps to /data/app, which is usually a bad idea, unless you want to allow a user to uninstall them)
The name is based on the idea that this ROM should never drag you into proprietary data silo. The scope of the project is the full phone stack, including all default apps. I've thus propagated some random patches.
This ROM should be able to run proprietary apps, too. But there is currently barely an app that is running as there is no real replacement for the google services.
- Chat (ChatSecure, to be replaced with Conversations)
- E-Mail (k-9, with openkeychain integration)
- Contact sync (carddav, replaces google )
- Document sync (owncloud, replaces google cloud/documents)
- Firefox (replaces chrome, syncs via mozilla sync)
- Instant image upload (owncloud, replaces google instant upload)
- Location providers (NOGAPPS/µg project, replaces google network location provider)
- f-droid (patched, no need to allow unknown sources) (replaces market)
- Calendar (local + caldav)
- Bitcoin (no google wallet)
- Maps V1 replacement lib (NOGAPPS/µg/mar-v-in)
- Some games
- Podcast/RSS clients, VLC
- NTP/OpenVPN support
- Torch, bubble, barcode scanner
- TODO list
- Printing (all implementations are closed afaict)
- Maps (OSM does not have a competitive android client)
- Replicant RILd (we use exactly one missing feature: celltower reports)
- Backup service
- General sync (contacts/files/... between android <-> pc)
- Mapsv2 compatibility lib (v1 is included)
- Search/QuickSearchBox (google decided that only google should work)
- Torrent downloader (fork of download manager? maybe)
- Contact merger (like HTC was doing, my contact list is a mess)
- A real web-of-trust implementation
- Bootanimation (I can't use the default one and I'm not talented enough to create one)
The missing parts are mainly nice-to-have apps, except for maps.
Syncing/Communicating without Google
Google offers a great cloud sync solution. This distribution ships some tools to sync your phone. It currently works best with owncloud.
Here is what you should do to sync
- Open DAVdroid and add an account to sync your contacts (for owncloud <yourserver>/remote.php/carddav)
- Open DAVdroid and add an account to sync your calendars (for owncloud <yourserver>/remote.php/caldav)
- Open firefox and enable firefox sync (Settings -> Sync, works with owncloud if you install the mozilla_sync plugin)
- Open the owncloud client and add your server, go to owncloud settings and enable instant upload
- Open the E-Mail client and add your IMAP server
- Open ChatSecure and add your XMPP server
- Open buddycloud and add your buddycloud server (just kidding, but you may want to give it a try)
Your phone will now upload all photos you take. Your contacts and calendars are in sync and you can access all files you're storing on your owncloud box.
Most other groupwares out there provide carddav / caldav support, too. You may loose the abilitiy to instant-upload photos or to sync firefox with your own server.
Should I flash it?
This ROM/Distribution is not for everyone. I'm now using it on my old galaxy nexus and I hope I'll be able to use it as my primary phone by the end of the year. It's definetly better than I'd have imagined, but it's far from what I'd like to use on a day-by-day basis. I've thus labled it as alpha.
You have been warned. Download via bittorrent - direct http download (please try to use bittorrent first).
How may I help?
If you can develop ROMs and if you'd like to run it on your device you might have to build it for your device. It would be nice if all devices supported by OmniROM would work, too.
If you know how to develop apps: Many open source apps may need your help.
If you know how to build apps: f-droid can't keep up with all the apps popping up. Help them!
If you can't help with android development: You may help some open content projects, like openstreetmaps or opencellids.
- Wifi does not scan automatically, you may have to disable/enable it to connect.
- Add a sync/communicate without google section
- Added a direct download link to my server
Gravity Free Distribution, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: Omnirom
Last Updated 2014-04-01