[ROOT] Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r5 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 510c4a0c5a62407550abc5e028c6fd82
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

galaxynexusfastboot.png

Last edited:

treble4

Jan 13, 2010
lancashire
cheers paul for this now can you sort an unlock please so i can get my tmobile sim working in it anytime before my t would be great in the next say 30 mins would be smashin ;)

pan24

Aug 10, 2011
patras
so this is a temporary or permanent root because i didnt understood well the ''until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash').''

Reactions: Lemim0uth

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010

I'm sorry, i find this a bit confusing. Why do you make mention then to 'reboot', if people dont have to worry about it (as in my definition of permanent).
Does superboot allow for root under adb (until restart), and for normal os operation+root access, the latter not being affected by a reboot, is that it?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
I'm a little confused by the terminology used here too. This is a permanent root? Not one that must run after every reboot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

el3ctrik

Aug 2, 2011
Manchester
Does superboot allow for root under adb (until restart), and for normal os operation+root access, the latter not being affected by a reboot, is that it?

This is what he means. Running "fastboot boot" allows you to access the root shell using adb, however after reboot you will not be able to do that again until you reboot with the same command, or flash his permenant adb root .img from his other thread.

Once you have done this method once, the su binary and Superuser.apk are on your device, and will be there permentantly, until such a time as you remove them or you reflash a stock image. This means your on-device root is permenant too.

John Markley

Dec 6, 2010
I can't think of any reason why this method using the r2 files won't work equally well on the USA VZW version when (if) we finally get it -- true?

siedkins

Jul 3, 2008
London
This is what he means. Running "fastboot boot" allows you to access the root shell using adb, however after reboot you will not be able to do that again until you reboot with the same command, or flash his permenant adb root .img from his other thread.

I've come from using a Desire and just got the Galaxy Nexus. I've just unlocked the bootloader and flashed superboot using fastboot.

What I don't quite understand is why you wouldn't just want to flash the unsecure boot image from the other thread ? Or why this method doesn't do the same. I understand that this method reboots the phone using the superboot image rather than flashing over the system boot image file. But why wouldn't you want to override the system boot image to get full access? I suppose this is just highlighting my lack of knowledge of what I was doing before as I used unrevocked to get root access and custom recovery all in one go.

Sorry for asking these questions but it seems like there are a few people wanting to know the same thing.

@Paul - Big ups and thanks for posting this easy to use version.

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
I've come from using a Desire and just got the Galaxy Nexus. I've just unlocked the bootloader and flashed superboot using fastboot.

What I don't quite understand is why you wouldn't just want to flash the unsecure boot image from the other thread ? Or why this method doesn't do the same. I understand that this method reboots the phone using the superboot image rather than flashing over the system boot image file. But why wouldn't you want to override the system boot image to get full access? I suppose this is just highlighting my lack of knowledge of what I was doing before as I used unrevocked to get root access and custom recovery all in one go.

Sorry for asking these questions but it seems like there are a few people wanting to know the same thing.

@Paul - Big ups and thanks for posting this easy to use version.
Because the insecure boot image is just that, an insecure boot image - it doesn't root your device with the superuser binary / APK.

P

gaspodex

Feb 7, 2007
Aylesbury
www.gaspode.net
Excellent ... um quick question before i pop out - are the o2 contract handsets sim locked and if so if there an unlock solution ? (paid or otherwise) - i tend to switch between 02/voda a lot so need to unlock

G

GuestK00431

I must be stupid or something cause I can't seem to unlock my phone? :-( done everything. :-S

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
I must be stupid or something cause I can't seem to unlock my phone? :-( done everything in a shirt quide :-S

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

You got it plugged in on the bootloader screen?

Just cd to wherever you extracted Pauls superboot too and type:

./fastboot-windows oem unlock
Assuming you are on Windows..if not just change it for your os
Linux = ./fastboot-linux oem unlock
OS X = ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

G

GuestK00431

You got it plugged in on the bootloader screen?

Just cd to wherever you extracted Pauls superboot too and type:

./fastboot-windows oem unlock
Assuming you are on Windows..if not just change it for your os
Linux = ./fastboot-linux oem unlock
OS X = ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

Actually it didn't work... ;-/ its finding the phone so not a driver problem but typing in ./fastboot-windows oem unlock does nothing other than give me an error saying its not recognized as a internal or external command.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    • Superboot r5 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 510c4a0c5a62407550abc5e028c6fd82
    How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

galaxynexusfastboot.png
    For those that are stuck at the Google logo.

As I stated earlier in this thread I had the exact same issue, I even pulled the battery too early once and got a boot loop. This is what I did to fix the problem:

1) Power off the device (unplug USB and pull battery if needed).
    2) Hold Vol Up and Vol Down, press Power. Keep holding until you are in the boot loader.
    3) Once you are in the boot loader, run fastboot-windows (if your using windows) in CMD. Fastboot is included in the download.
    4) Run fastboot-windows oem lock (if unlocked).
    5) Run fastboot-windows oem unlock (if locked). *This will do a factory reset*
    6) Once the above is done and you've unlocked the bootloader try to apply the root image again.
    7) Let sit for roughly 10 minutes.
    8) Plug in USB if not plugged in already, pull battery and put battery back in. The screen should not turn off. I highly doubt this does anything but I did it both times I applied this root and it booted after doing it.
    9) Let it sit until it boots up.

If the above does not work for anyone, and you are still unable to get into your phone. I have created a recovery image from the 4.0.2 LTE source. I can upload it and give instructions on how to use it. Note it will not include root. However following the above instructions should work. I did it twice and both times I was able to recover.
    Doesn't work with winrar.
    or windows
    or winzip.

File is broke.

I just downloaded it and have confirmed it is broken.

I can't remember if this is it, but I do have backups. Let me know if the files here work for you:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21166889/Nexus/NexusAllFilesNeeded.zip
    I'm stuck in a boot loop after installing this...

I unlocked the boot loader then followed the instructions, now my phone just shows the Google logo and the unlock icon for about 10-15s then reboots into this loop. Please help...

I can still get into the boot loader, I tried to re-apply the boot image via the batch but still no luck.

EDIT: Fixed! I locked and unlocked the bootloader which forced a factor reset. Another solution would be to flash the stock image from Google.
    Updated to the latest release!

P