[Windows][Linux][Mac][One-Click] Root - CWM - Galaxy Nexus 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 -NO WIPE-

Search This thread

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
And yes I have another question... are you sick of me yet? I know I would be! So while waiting for an answer to my previous post , I looked at installing the CDMA Recovery, and in the window it says:
" After flashing you will be presented the option to reboot into recovery. " So I hate to ask but is that what I want to do after installing, reboot into recovery? The instructions are not explicit.

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
And yes I have another question... are you sick of me yet? I know I would be! So while waiting for an answer to my previous post , I looked at installing the CDMA Recovery, and in the window it says:
" After flashing you will be presented the option to reboot into recovery. " So I hate to ask but is that what I want to do after installing, reboot into recovery? The instructions are not explicit.

You will want to put a super cool rom in cwm format (zip) on your sdcard and then boot intobrecovery and flash it.

Reactions: laserbiz

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You will want to put a super cool rom in cwm format (zip) on your sdcard and then boot intobrecovery and flash it.

Ok Thanks for your answer and your Hard work, but the nexus does not have an SD card or Card slot! Now what? And If I some how am able to flash a rom do I lose my info that I have on my phone? Sorry, but stuff has to be crystal clear for me to understand.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Ok Thanks for your answer and your Hard work, but the nexus does not have an SD card or Card slot! Now what? And If I some how am able to flash a rom do I lose my info that I have on my phone? Sorry, but stuff has to be crystal clear for me to understand.

the /sdcard/ folder on your device... download it from your device or transfer it to your sdcard. or you can unlock and flash with fastboot. do some searching on flashing a custom ROM. I'd recommend using the backup feature before you make any changes. Also, get adb and fastboot installed so you have a backup.

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
HI ALL,

Its me again... So I downloaded and installed Voodoos OTA rootkeeper and backed up my Super User... Then "temporarily" Unrooted my Nexus, but when I tried Titiantium Back up it still worked AND Time-Warner's new app that allows the viewing and recording of live TV Does not work because it, The time warner app, is reporting My phone is still rooted.

The Time-Warner app is only allowed on Android 4.0 or higher and non Rooted phones. So my question is this: Does the Casual Jar allow the removal
of Root better then the Root keeper? Or as usual am I Just a dumb blonde? HELP!

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
HI ALL,

Its me again... So I downloaded and installed Voodoos OTA rootkeeper and backed up my Super User... Then "temporarily" Unrooted my Nexus, but when I tried Titiantium Back up it still worked AND Time-Warner's new app that allows the viewing and recording of live TV Does not work because it, The time warner app, is reporting My phone is still rooted.

The Time-Warner app is only allowed on Android 4.0 or higher and non Rooted phones. So my question is this: Does the Casual Jar allow the removal
of Root better then the Root keeper? Or as usual am I Just a dumb blonde? HELP!
CASUAL does not remove root.

just remove superuser.apk

Y U NO CLICKING THE THANKS BUTTON!?!??!

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Just a friendly reminder guys... 4.0.4 has no known root exploit.

Root now, install supercurio's OTA rootkeeper and you will be set. After the upgrade you can continue to unlock and use CWM recovery with CASUAL and no wipe.

Last edited:

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Why is nothing easy for me? So I used the Casual.Jar to gain Root and it worked after I figured out that I did not need to be in recovery to use it. I guess I am very literal.(I always had to boot the phone or tablet by holding power and volume to boot to that screen before running Root programs)

Any ways I also install Voodoo's Rootkeeper and backup up mu S.U. I then came to find out that Time/Warner was offering live T.V. on my nexus , but would not work if the phone was rooted. Well I used Rootkeeper to temporarily remove root so I couldtry the Time Warner app. Well it still would not work. So I read some posts in a different thread and I deleted the S.U. App from my phone thinking that because I backed it up thru rootkeeper , I would be safe.... WRONG! Something is not right!

When I invoke Rootkeeper and tell it to restore S,.U., it does not work. When I try to re-install S.U. from the playstore, it shows installed. I also downloaded S.U. update fixer and that does not work, it runs in a 1/4 window on my nexus and i cant tap anything. So I figured Why not run Casual.Jar again and it would fix everything. Nope! When I run rootkeeper it shows every boxed checked except Device Rooted in the status window. It alsokives me the option to Delete S.U, back up AND below that ....Temp. un-root (keeps backup) \

Please help. I would like to restore Root and I think back up of S. U. before I run the update 4.04 that Verizon pushed to my phone (I just keep tapping install later. HELP!

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Why is nothing easy for me? So I used the Casual.Jar to gain Root and it worked after I figured out that I did not need to be in recovery to use it. I guess I am very literal.(I always had to boot the phone or tablet by holding power and volume to boot to that screen before running Root programs)

Any ways I also install Voodoo's Rootkeeper and backup up mu S.U. I then came to find out that Time/Warner was offering live T.V. on my nexus , but would not work if the phone was rooted. Well I used Rootkeeper to temporarily remove root so I couldtry the Time Warner app. Well it still would not work. So I read some posts in a different thread and I deleted the S.U. App from my phone thinking that because I backed it up thru rootkeeper , I would be safe.... WRONG! Something is not right!

When I invoke Rootkeeper and tell it to restore S,.U., it does not work. When I try to re-install S.U. from the playstore, it shows installed. I also downloaded S.U. update fixer and that does not work, it runs in a 1/4 window on my nexus and i cant tap anything. So I figured Why not run Casual.Jar again and it would fix everything. Nope! When I run rootkeeper it shows every boxed checked except Device Rooted in the status window. It alsokives me the option to Delete S.U, back up AND below that ....Temp. un-root (keeps backup) \

Please help. I would like to restore Root and I think back up of S. U. before I run the update 4.04 that Verizon pushed to my phone (I just keep tapping install later. HELP!

Install superuser from the market. Then run rootkeeper. Then remove superuser.

Root access comes in 2 parts. The su binary that does the work and the superuser app that handles authentication.

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Install superuser from the market. Then run rootkeeper. Then remove superuser.

Root access comes in 2 parts. The su binary that does the work and the superuser app that handles authentication.

Thanks for the quick response! But As I stated in my previous post,when I go to the market it shows SU as installed, So I cant install it gfrom there. But I cant find the SU on my phone to delete (I think I did that when I tried to run The Time/Warner App.)
But I guess I didn't because The marked Says it is installed! I think I am in a "Logic loop!" is there a way to side load the S.U. App?

MystaMax

Sep 6, 2007
Did not work for me

This isn't working properly on windows 7 (32-bit, w/ Java 7) or Ubuntu 12.04 (64-bit, open-jre6 or open-jre7).

Ubuntu java version on last attempt:
java version "1.7.0_03"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.1.1pre) (7~u3-2.1.1~pre1-1ubuntu3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.0-b10, mixed mode)

Ubuntu Errors

commandline output when launching (device not connected):

Code:
Created Folder:/tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/
Control Change requested but Statics.MasterLock is set.
This CASUAL package contains a method to root and install busybox for the i9250 Galaxy Nexus. This package uses a root exploit so there is no need to wipe your data when rooting. Your device must be in Development Mode. 
1. Choose Galaxy Nexus Root option first
2. Install the Busybox
3. Install the proper recovery for your device
4. Use recovery to backup your device before installing ROMs
*Important note* Choose the proper CWM recovery for your device.

This CASUAL package contains a method to root and install busybox for the i9250 Galaxy Nexus. This package uses a root exploit so there is no need to wipe your data when rooting. Your device must be in Development Mode. 
2. Install the Busybox

Deploying ADB
Found Linux Computer
Attempting to write /tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/adb
File verified.
Setting executable /tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/adb. Result=true
Attempting to write /tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/adb_usb.ini
File verified.

###executing: /tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/adb###
arrayToString [Ljava.lang.String;@2eee572c expanded to: /tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/adb devices
Problem while executing /tmp/TempCASUALC5385A97/adb devices in Shell.sendShellCommand() Received 
Device List:CritERROR!!!
Searching for scripts
null
Picking Jar File:/maxData/maxHome/Downloads/GalaxyNexusRoot-Busybox-CWM-Unlock.jar
Found: Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2
Found: Install Busybox
Found: Install Galaxy Nexus GSM CWM Recovery
Found: Install Galaxy Nexus CDMA CWM Recovery
Found: Galaxy Nexus Unlock GSM
Found: Galaxy Nexus Lock GSM
From Resource: true

--Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2--

This will root your Galaxy Nexus on version 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. it will not work on 4.0.4. All credits due to efrant: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531865

This will root your Galaxy Nexus on version 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. it will not work on 4.0.4. All credits due to efrant: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531865

Extracting archive....
Unzipping Superuser.apk
Unzipping su
Unzipping mempodroid
Unzipping rootGN.sh
Exiting comboBoxUpdate()
State Change Detected, The new state is: 1
State Connected
Controls Enabled status: true

Before I even plug my phone up, it says link status ready, device connected. This does not happen on windows.

I plug my device up, click "Do It", and here is what the terminal spits out:

Code:
Script Activated
Script known as Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 is running
Controls Enabled status: false
Selected resourceGalaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2
Lines in Script 31
Executing Scripted Datastreamjava.io.DataInputStream@4b96fac5
CASUAL has initiated a multithreaded execution environment
Reading datastreamjava.io.DataInputStream@4b96fac5
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ECHO Pushing Mempodroid exploit
Received ECHO command$ECHO Pushing Mempodroid exploit
Removing leading space.
Pushing Mempodroid exploit
SCRIPT COMMAND:push "$ZIPFILEmempodroid" /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
Expanded $ZIPFILE: push "/tmp/TempCASUAL2B7B4ACF/Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2/mempodroid" /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
Error: [Ljava.lang.Object; cannot be cast to [Ljava.lang.String;

It just hangs with the above... I'm not even sure what it is suppose to say or do when it succeeds. After I close the java app, the terminal spits out:

Code:
###executing: /tmp/TempCASUAL54787E77/adb###
arrayToString [Ljava.lang.String;@335ac93d expanded to: /tmp/TempCASUAL54787E77/adb kill-server
Problem while executing /tmp/TempCASUAL54787E77/adb kill-server in Shell.sendShellCommand() Received

Actually, if I choose any option from the drop down menu, be it, Install Galaxy Nexus CDMA CWM Recovery, Install Busybox, or Galaxy Nexus Root, then click "Do It", the terminal says,

Code:
Error: [Ljava.lang.Object; cannot be cast to [Ljava.lang.String;

Windows 7

On Windows, it does not state link status and device connected before anything is connected, good start. I connect the device & run the java app from the commandline.

This is from launching the java app from powershell:

Code:
PS C:\Users\max\Downloads> java -jar .\GalaxyNexusRoot-Busybox-CWM-Unlock.jar
Created Folder:C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\
Control Change requested but Statics.MasterLock is set.
This CASUAL package contains a method to root and install busybox for the i9250 Galaxy Nexus. This package uses a root e
xploit so there is no need to wipe your data when rooting. Your device must be in Development Mode.
2. Install the Busybox

This CASUAL package contains a method to root and install busybox for the i9250 Galaxy Nexus. This package uses a root e
xploit so there is no need to wipe your data when rooting. Your device must be in Development Mode.
2. Install the Busybox

Deploying ADB
Found Windows Computer
Attempting to write C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\Elevate.exe
File verified.
Attempting to write C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\adb.exe
File verified.
Attempting to write C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\AdbWinApi.dll
File verified.
Attempting to write C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\AdbWinUsbApi.dll
File verified.
Attempting to write C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\adb_usb.ini
File verified.

###executing: C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\adb.exe###
Device List:
List of devices attached
016B65AF0C013017 device

Searching for scripts
null
Picking Jar File:/C:/Users/max/Downloads/GalaxyNexusRoot-Busybox-CWM-Unlock.jar
Found: Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2
Found: Install Busybox
Found: Install Galaxy Nexus GSM CWM Recovery
Found: Install Galaxy Nexus CDMA CWM Recovery
Found: Galaxy Nexus Unlock GSM
Found: Galaxy Nexus Lock GSM
From Resource: true

This will root your Galaxy Nexus on version 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. it will not work on 4.0.4. All credits due to efrant: http:
//xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531865

This will root your Galaxy Nexus on version 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. it will not work on 4.0.4. All credits due to efrant: http:
//xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1531865

Extracting archive....
Unzipping Superuser.apk
Unzipping su
Unzipping mempodroid
Unzipping rootGN.sh
Exiting comboBoxUpdate()
State Change Detected, The new state is: 1
State Connected

This after clicking "DO IT" on windows:

Code:
Script Activated
Script known as Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 is running
Controls Enabled status: false
Selected resourceGalaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2
Lines in Script 31
Executing Scripted Datastreamjava.io.DataInputStream@19bd1ca
CASUAL has initiated a multithreaded execution environment
Reading datastreamjava.io.DataInputStream@19bd1ca
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ECHO Pushing Mempodroid exploit
Received ECHO command$ECHO Pushing Mempodroid exploit
Removing leading space.
SCRIPT COMMAND:push "$ZIPFILEmempodroid" /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
Expanded $ZIPFILE: push "C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.
2\mempodroid" /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

The above just sits there, hanging. So, when I close the app, Here is the commandline output:

Code:
###executing: C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\adb.exe###

COMMAND TESTC:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\adb.exe push "C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPC
ASUAL31D369D5\Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2\mempodroid" /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

SCRIPT COMMAND:$ECHO Pushing Switch User binary
COMMAND TESTC:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\adb.exe push "C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPC
ASUAL31D369D5\Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.2\mempodroid" /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
Received ECHO command$ECHO Pushing Switch User binary
SCRIPT COMMAND:$ECHO Pushing Switch User binary
Received ECHO command$ECHO Pushing Switch User binary
Removing leading space.
Removing leading space.
Pushing Switch User binary
SCRIPT COMMAND:push "$ZIPFILEsu" /data/local/tmp/su
SCRIPT COMMAND:push "$ZIPFILEsu" /data/local/tmp/su
Expanded $ZIPFILE: push "C:\Users\max\AppData\Local\Temp\maxTEMPCASUAL31D369D5\Galaxy Nexus root versions 4.0.1 and 4.0.
2\su" /data/local/tmp/su
2\su" /data/local/tmp/su

I had ADB installed on another PC, so I just following the instructions on this forum post: http://goo.gl/GRmsS. This worked flawlessly. Now, I'm rooted, and already flashed clockworkmod recovery. Probably will flash AOKP later tonight.

I hope the above helps make this app better, its a great tool for novices, but did not work for me. I'm not sure how much testing I can do now that I'm rooted. Any more feedback I can provide, just ask and I will :)

Last edited:

laserbiz

Mar 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Thanks for the quick response! But As I stated in my previous post,when I go to the market it shows SU as installed, So I cant install it gfrom there. But I cant find the SU on my phone to delete (I think I did that when I tried to run The Time/Warner App.)
But I guess I didn't because The marked Says it is installed! I think I am in a "Logic loop!" is there a way to side load the S.U. App?

update: I did find the S.U. apk on my phone and thru astro file mgr I tapped on it and it said it would replace tthe exixsiing S.U. App, so i did proceed and it said it installed,and then I rebooted and when I go to my app drawer, the S.U. app is still not there,

Also when I try to remove the S.U. back up thru Voodo's rootkeeper it just freezes. any other program that requires root including Titanium back up wont work becase it cant gain root rights...... Please Help again!

skiiman1

Jun 17, 2008
Hi Guys...really need your help.

I have a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I had 4.02 and rooted the phone. This worked fine.

But this morning I keep getting request to update my phone OTA with IMM76K and when I download the update and click to run it...the phone resets and Google icon comes on the phone and nothing else happens. If I pull the battery I basically get the phone running again and the update requests start coming again.

Please let me know how to fix this.

Thank you again for the root and for any help with this problem.

Andre

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
Please let me know how to fix this.

Thank you again for the root and for any help with this problem.

Andre

If its just the root blocking the update I wonder if it would only be a matter of installing ota rootkeeper. That may allow the update to run and then you could restore your root after the update.

I'm a bit surprised though. I thought the updates just plowed over your root as opposed to getting hung up on it.

MystaMax

Sep 6, 2007
Nice!

Nice find @NCguy, never heard of that app until now. Looks handy.

I read some reviews on the Play Store for this app (http://goo.gl/9mzmQ), sorted the reviews by phone (Galaxy Nexus) and many say this allows you keep root after updating:

Adrien said:
After much agonizing over restoring root after a 4.0.4 update, I remembered that I had this application. It immediately restored root, preventing a great deal of frustration.

Nick said:
The program worked perfect going from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

Adam said:
Worked like a charm when updating to 4.0.4. This app is amazing.

Looks like this will solve @skiiman1's problems. Let us know if it does!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Windows][Linux][Mac][One-Click] Root - CWM - Galaxy Nexus 4.0.1 & 4.0.2 -NO WIPE-

Introduction
    I put together a one-click root in CASUAL format. Because it's in CASUAL format, the same Java JAR will work on Windows, Linux and Mac.

This package contains
    • root your device without unlocking/wiping.
    • install busybox without unlocking/wiping.
    • install Clockwork Mod Recovery for GSM or CDMA without unlocking/wiping.
    • Lock/unlock

Download and Instructions
    CASUAL is easy to use, and fairly self explanitory.
    1. Launch the downloaded application using Java with right-click-open, or from a command line: "java -jar GalaxyNexus.jar"
    2. Select "Galaxy Nexus root"
    3. Click the "Do It' button
    4. Optionally: Repeat the previous step with "Install Busybox" option selected to install Busybox.
    5. Optionally: Select Install Galaxy Nexus CDMA or GSM ClockWork Mod Recovery

Download Galaxy Nexus Root and Busybox
    Ensure you have Java Installed on your computer. Do you have java?

Shown on Windows 7 with dropdown selected, showing available items:
    33cveaq.png

Shown on Ubuntu 12.04, ready to root a Galaxy Nexus:
    1h6wyv.png

Warning
    I am not responsible if *insert random event here* happens..... standard disclaimer.

About
    CASUAL stands for Cross-platform ADB Scripting, Universal Android Loader. You can find the source at http://android-casual.googlecode.com

Hope this helps! Please leave feedback.
    I just updated this to one-click install CWM without unlocking your device. Have fun :)
    Looks promising :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    You can root with this app without needing to wipe. It will automatically install the Super User. Then you can install Busy Box via the application as well.

You do not need to install a custom recovery if you do not want to. BusyBox is simply tools on the android that let you install more apps that require advanced commands.
    I don't see why you can't get OTA updates but that might kill the root. Meaning the update could stop the root and you would have to either reroot it using this way or using the official method where you first have to unlock the device.

Maybe the developer can shed a bit more light on that part and for un-rooting as well :)