[Q] Can't disable screenlock.

Search This thread

npike

Dec 29, 2011
San Diego
All of a sudden I can no longer disable my screenlock. I recently enabled it briefly during a week long trip out of the country (in case the phone got stolen or lost), but am now unable to disable it.

When I go to Settings->Security->Screenlock, it asks for my PIN, and then I am given the standard screen to "Select screen lock".

The options are as follows:

None (Grayed out)
Disabled by administrator, encryption policy, or credential storage.

Slide (Grayed out)

Face Unlock (Grayed out)

Pattern (Enabled)

PIN (Enabled)

Password (Enabled)

I have 3 gmail accounts, neither of them have any sort of device administrative features that I know of enabled.

Any ideas?

badtazm

Feb 7, 2012
Toronto
All of a sudden I can no longer disable my screenlock. I recently enabled it briefly during a week long trip out of the country (in case the phone got stolen or lost), but am now unable to disable it.

When I go to Settings->Security->Screenlock, it asks for my PIN, and then I am given the standard screen to "Select screen lock".

The options are as follows:

None (Grayed out)

Slide (Grayed out)

Face Unlock (Grayed out)

Pattern (Enabled)

PIN (Enabled)

Password (Enabled)

I have 3 gmail accounts, neither of them have any sort of device administrative features that I know of enabled.

Any ideas?

Check Security->devices administration if there is anything like an app or an account that is running like an administrator delete it and try again.
Also when i had problems with face unlock freezing and rebooting i just unistalled some apps and then it was working flawlessly.
Hope that helps.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

npike

Dec 29, 2011
San Diego
The only thing there is Lookout, and it is not enabled.

EDIT: Uninstalled Lookout, still disabled :(

Last edited:

npike

Dec 29, 2011
San Diego
No exchange accounts, only gmail accounts. I even removed all but my primary gmail account to see if it would make a difference.

I do have a VPN connection, but it is not active. (and pre-dated this problem)

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

codesplice

Jun 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
No exchange accounts, only gmail accounts. I even removed all but my primary gmail account to see if it would make a difference.

I do have a VPN connection, but it is not active. (and pre-dated this problem)

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

If you have VPN credentials stored, you are required to use a "secure" screen lock. Something may have glitched and not required it when you set up the account, but my guess is that is what is preventing you from disabling the screen lock.

Were you using the facial recognition unlock earlier? I think the system lets you slip by if you have that set before entering credentials, but won't let you choose it afterwards.

chjade84

Sep 3, 2010
It's probably not the "correct" answer but if you can't get it sorted out try the app "No Lock" which disables the lock screen. I used it for the longest time and it worked great.

Reactions: mojiod
W

WiredPirate

Quick simple question.. Do you have the "lock screen when pressing power button" tickbox checked?

smashingcar

May 6, 2010
If you have VPN credentials stored, you are required to use a "secure" screen lock. Something may have glitched and not required it when you set up the account, but my guess is that is what is preventing you from disabling the screen lock.

Were you using the facial recognition unlock earlier? I think the system lets you slip by if you have that set before entering credentials, but won't let you choose it afterwards.

Thank you codesplice! I had the same problem today and your answer helped me solved the problem. The screenlock could be disabled right after I deleted the VPN account.

markutah

Feb 19, 2004
The Hague, NL

Removing my VPN connection solved the problem for me!

kkoolpatz

Jan 29, 2011
Pune
My 2 cents. I had the same issue today when i tried installing corporate email. The certificate had me setup a screen password encrypt my card and another bunch of things. Soon i got pissed off by the password prompt and decided to delete my mail account and rebooted. Guess what.. the credentials did not go. my password could not be disabled. I even tried clearing credentials in security but it did not help. I check device administrators and there was nothing.

So here's finally what solved the issue. The device administrator got deleted when i uninstalled the email account. So i re setup my account and then went back into the device administrators. Now i saw email app as a device admin. It has a check box which was enabled. i disabled it.. rebooted the mobile and cleared credetials again. Again reboot and was able to disable lock. Key was to disable the administrator while the app was installed.

asti009asti

May 8, 2011
London
I had the same problem when i tried to setup an exchange email account and installed a certificate.
Fixed it by deleting all certificates.
Settings>Security>Clear credintials

thanks - that worked! I have had a VPN connection setup and then deleted it. It still did no allow me to remove the screen pattern. After deleting all the certificates it finally worked.

Devam03

Aug 2, 2014
mumbai
Sure fix

This didn't work for me too. The fix is download clean master and in accessibility settings turn on clean master. If nothing work,this will surely

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I had the same problem when i tried to setup an exchange email account and installed a certificate.
    It's probably not the "correct" answer but if you can't get it sorted out try the app "No Lock" which disables the lock screen. I used it for the longest time and it worked great.

That did the trick, Thank YOU!
    Lock screen

You Should go
    setting/security/credential Storage/clear credential
    then ok.