[Q] - Error mounting SDcard in CWM [SOLVED]

350 posts
Thanks Meter: 33

By spectre85, Senior Member on 31st January 2012, 07:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello I'm new to the nexus line and recently upgraded form a SGS. my phone is Rooted, unlocked boot loader and running the most recent version of CWM 5.5.0.4. I'm running the GSM version of the Nexus.

My question is how do I flash the my first rom? When I boot into recovery and click install zip from SDcard i get "E: Can't mount /sdcard/" I am also unable to mound the data partition within. windows drivers are installed for both fastboot and adb so I can flash that way, i'm just wondering what the exact steps are and if that error mounting data is normal.

I also downloaded the most recent franco.Kernel as I want to run that, I know how to flash that with fastboot but wasnt' sure if that is how you would flash a rom with the nexus, on the SGS i used to use odin.

Thanks and sorry for the noobness.
31st January 2012, 07:43 PM |#2  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 257

More
How did you "unlock fastboot" and "root" and "install CWM"? Did you use one of the "Tool Kits"?

Do you have ROM Manager installed on your device?
31st January 2012, 08:01 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Regina

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiannisthegreek

How did you "unlock fastboot" and "root" and "install CWM"? Did you use one of the "Tool Kits"?

Do you have ROM Manager installed on your device?

Sorry, Yes I have ROM Manager installed and its' paid for.

I unlocked my boot loader using fastboot oem unlock, I rooted by using an app because I couldn't mount the data partition in recovery so had to use some app some guy made that downloaded the su.zip from clockwork and flashed on it's own.

I installed CWM using fastboot.

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

it's the dam data partition that i'm really having trouble with, i'm just wondering if this is normal, all the posts on the web say to flash a zip by choosing "choose zip from scard" but mine wont mount???

I should also mention that my entire device is encrypted.....that is whats causing it isn't it?
31st January 2012, 08:03 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6,798

More
I'm not 100% sure but it could be that you flashed the wrong recovery.
According to this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1357642

the recovery for the GSM version is 5.5.0.2 and not 0.4.
I would flash the correct recovery then try again.
31st January 2012, 08:04 PM |#5  
Flag Wien
Thanks Meter: 5

More
You can not mount sdcard from CWM recovery (don't ask me why, I don't know.. maybe because it is not supported yet ..)

anyway, do like me, use CWM 5.5.0.2 and then try again toflash zip files .. It works for me
31st January 2012, 08:10 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Regina

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by P4p3r1n0

You can not mount sdcard from CWM recovery (don't ask me why, I don't know.. maybe because it is not supported yet ..)

anyway, do like me, use CWM 5.5.0.2 and then try again toflash zip files .. It works for me

He posted it on his Google+ account here:
https://plus.google.com/112476065271141473049/posts

I'm starting to think it's my encrypted phone, technically when I boot I have to decrypt the device before it boots into android.

I'm going to factory reset and see if that helps. I have a feeling that is what my problem is
31st January 2012, 08:24 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Regina

More
OK so that was the problem, the data partition was encrypted (now that I think of this it makes sense that it wouldn't mount) anyways, for whatever reason a factory reset from android wouldn't work. I removed the "recovery-from-boot.p" file from my system folder originally so the CWM image would remain in tact.

anyways, I flashed the original recovery over the CWM recovery, preformed a factory wipe (which is the only way to decrypt your phone) then flashed CWM back on and now I can mount the data partition

what a pain in the ass, guess I wont be encrypting the phone any time soon, I wish there was an option to decrypt the drive and then get into recovery....wouldn't have this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to spectre85 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spectre85 Ad-Free
30th March 2013, 11:41 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre85

OK so that was the problem, the data partition was encrypted (now that I think of this it makes sense that it wouldn't mount) anyways, for whatever reason a factory reset from android wouldn't work. I removed the "recovery-from-boot.p" file from my system folder originally so the CWM image would remain in tact.

anyways, I flashed the original recovery over the CWM recovery, preformed a factory wipe (which is the only way to decrypt your phone) then flashed CWM back on and now I can mount the data partition

what a pain in the ass, guess I wont be encrypting the phone any time soon, I wish there was an option to decrypt the drive and then get into recovery....wouldn't have this issue.

It is possible now on 4.1.2 to decrypt the device. You must provide a password for dectypting (chane from unlock pin to passw).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)