Galaxy nexus keeps rebooting

66 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By xtwo, Member on 10th April 2012, 12:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a stock GN, not rooted yet. Today my phone automatically shut off and now it starts back up, google logo shows up and all those colors come on for couple of seconds and then the phone reboots itself.

I can press both volume up+volume down + power button and get into a menu which gives me the options of Start, Restart bootloader, recovery mode, and power off. I choose recovery mode but then it goes on to an android sign with exclamation mark. After that I can't seem to get anywhere. I have tried volume up +power, volume down+power, and volume up+down+power but nothing seems to work. It just keeps on rebooting it self.

Any solutions to this problem??
10th April 2012, 02:34 AM |#2  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 148

More
There are two possibilities:
1) Software problem. Since you were stock, this is unlikely.
2) Hardware problem. This is more likely, in my opinion.

If you want to eliminate 1) as a possibility, you can try this:
1. Download the GNex Toolkit here
2. Install it & get the drivers working on your computer (if you haven't already)
3. Unlock the bootloader by selecting Option 3 (it'll wipe your phone)
4. Flash factory stock rom by selecting option 8
5. Try it. If it works, congratulations. (if you want to re-lock your bootloader, use option 11)

If this doesn't work, relock your bootloader and send it in for warrantee. (most likely a hardware problem)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredFS456 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FredFS456 Ad-Free
10th April 2012, 04:14 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
10th April 2012, 05:29 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFS456

There are two possibilities:
1) Software problem. Since you were stock, this is unlikely.
2) Hardware problem. This is more likely, in my opinion.

If you want to eliminate 1) as a possibility, you can try this:
1. Download the GNex Toolkit here
2. Install it & get the drivers working on your computer (if you haven't already)
3. Unlock the bootloader by selecting Option 3 (it'll wipe your phone)
4. Flash factory stock rom by selecting option 8
5. Try it. If it works, congratulations. (if you want to re-lock your bootloader, use option 11)

If this doesn't work, relock your bootloader and send it in for warrantee. (most likely a hardware problem)

So, I did the above method and after flashing the factory stock rom it won't start up anymore. It doesn't respond to anything at all. It seems I've bricked it

Is there any way to unrbick it now? I'm assuming I can't send it in for warranty either now if it's semi bricked. Unless it's been completely bricked which means there is still a chance of getting a replacement phone.
10th April 2012, 06:23 PM |#5  
Flag Prague

More
I have the same prob on rooted SGN
This morning I switched off the airplane mode to be available, system crashed and restarted. And then still the same again - booting / android logo / restart again.. /./. I am using Android Revolution HD 2.1.5, for last month with no problems.
I tried to boot into recovery, then wipe the cache and reflash rom and radio from sd, it is still the same. I can see all the files on my int. sd with no probs.
Please help.
11th April 2012, 02:33 AM |#6  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 148

More
I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue, but I'll wait for another member's opinion before confirming.
11th April 2012, 05:49 AM |#7  
Flag Prague

More
Solved!!!
That's what I thought - HW prob, but it seems that luck is on my side, I hope. It helped to get back on stock but with total deletion including int partition
Anyway thanks for support.
11th April 2012, 07:42 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 630263

That's what I thought - HW prob, but it seems that luck is on my side, I hope. It helped to get back on stock but with total deletion including int partition
Anyway thanks for support.

Was your phone rooted or bootloader unlocked before the problem occurred?

Anyways I've sent in my phone for warranty, hopefully samsung will fix it.
16th April 2012, 10:12 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
So my phone company called me today and apparently Samsung told them that it's corrosion(?) problem. When I asked exactly what does that mean they said it's moisture damage or physical damage that probably caused it. But I'm confused how could my phone possibly get moisture damage inside an otter box. I know how delegate these devices are and I know how to take care of them.

Anyhow it'll be $90 to fix it. I had no other option so I asked them to go ahead with the repairs. So frustrated with Samsung to be honest. I never dropped my phone once, never had any water damage, phone was always inside the defender case. And I still have to pay them for fixing my phone even though it's not my fault.
16th April 2012, 10:25 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
That's quite worrying, I just started having boot loop problems today. I've had the phone since Feb 29th and not had a problem with it yet, but today it started boot looping. I went into recovery and did a factory reset, was alright for a couple of hours then it crashed, started bootlooping again. Running stock 4.0.2 unrooted, I'm wondering if flashing 4.0.4 might help.
3rd May 2012, 09:11 PM |#11  

More
I'm in the same boat.... unrooting stock 4.0.1 firmware - canadian version from Negri.

April 23rd my phone crashed and started boot looping. Google logo - reboot - Google logo - reboot

Factory reset worked. I installed less apps than I had before figuring perhaps an app was corrupting something.

Yesterday - it happened again. Phone crashed. Boot loop. Factory Reset worked. Installed even fewer apps.

We'll see what happens this time around. I am hoping it is just a software thing. Hoping 4.0.4 gets pushed soon too.....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)