[Q] Galaxy Nexus S (i9250) stuck in reboot loop - gets to OS loading and restarts

22 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By taz1973, Junior Member on 9th October 2014, 07:52 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Nexus S is basically stuck in a reboot loop, where the phone starts up, you see the Google logo, followed by the OS logo (either the X for stock ROM or the cyanogen logo), and then it just stops and reboots and does the process all over again. This happened suddenly - the phone just stopped responding and when I powercycled it, it began its reboot loop.

I have searched these forums (and the web in general) and have not been able to get the device out of its loop.

I have done the following:

1. powercycle - reboot loop

2. clear the cache and reset to factory settings - reboot loop

3. loaded clockwork recovery and did a cache clear, Dalvik cache clear, and loaded fresh copy of the latest stock ROM from Google (Android 4.3 maguro) - reboot loop

4. via clockwork recovery, wiped the cache partition, wiped Dalvik cache, under mounts and storage - formatted the system, data, and cache partitions, and then installed the latest Cyanogen ROM for maguro as well as the Google APPS and then rebooted. Unfortunately, the reboot loop continues.

In my reading, I came across the possibility that the eMMC may be pooched, although I have no idea how to verify that this is the case.

Can someone please help me with this issue, or is the phone basically toast?

Thanks
11th October 2014, 07:50 AM |#2  
Flag Vlaardingen
Thanks Meter: 320

More
It seems that the emmc is fried indeed. To find out you must lock the bootloader. If its still unlocked on reboot you know its bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
13th October 2014, 04:47 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex

It seems that the emmc is fried indeed. To find out you must lock the bootloader. If its still unlocked on reboot you know its bad.

Thanks for the reply.

I did as you suggested and locked the bootloader using 'fastboot oem lock' followed by a reboot of the phone - I checked and the bootloader state was now locked. I tried to unlock it using 'fastboot oem unlock' and it was also successful - the boot loader was in unlocked state following a reboot. Does this mean that I am lucky and the phone can be recovered, or am I still screwed?

Any suggestions where I should go from here? There was the thought of formatting the eMMC, but for one I have no clue how to do that and second, there was a mention on another site that formatting the eMMC is an absolute NO, NO.

Would the following commands have any effect or are these the same as formatting the cache and data partitions using clockwork mod?

fastboot format cache
fastboot format userdata

At this point any help will be appreciated.
13th October 2014, 01:31 PM |#4  
Flag Vlaardingen

More
I suggest flashing the Factory image via fastboot and see what happens.

14th October 2014, 04:36 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

I suggest flashing the Factory image via fastboot and see what happens.

Do you mean to get the latest 4.3 image from Google and flash that or are you saying to get a factory image from Samsung flash that? I read some stuff about ODIN, but I am not quite sure what that means, except that in conjunction with ODIN they mention factory images from the phone manufaturer. Is there a set of instructions that you can provide and a link to where I can get the factory image?

Note that one thing that I already did was to flash with the latest 4.3 release from Google for this phone (Maguro), and obviously that did not help, nor did a flash using the latest Cyanogen image.

Thanks.
14th October 2014, 06:55 AM |#6  
Flag Vlaardingen

More
How did you flash the latest 4.3 release and which one did you use?

15th October 2014, 12:23 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

How did you flash the latest 4.3 release and which one did you use?

I downloaded the image directly from Google at the following link:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-09207065.tgz

and then I unzipped it and used 'fastboot -w flashall' to flash the phone. As I said before, this still did not get me out of the boot loop. That is when I cam across ODIN.

Any suggestions on where I should go from here?

Thanks.
25th October 2014, 01:43 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1973

I downloaded the image directly from Google at the following link:

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-09207065.tgz

and then I unzipped it and used 'fastboot -w flashall' to flash the phone. As I said before, this still did not get me out of the boot loop. That is when I cam across ODIN.

Any suggestions on where I should go from here?

Thanks.

Any suggestions?
27th October 2014, 10:00 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs down
Hi everyone.

Looks like we have met the infamous eMMC brickbug affecting Samsung phones and others.

After many searchings I found the explanation on an italian forum (http://www.androidiani.com/forum/goo...-brickbug.html, the user wrote this guide after several posts on the topic, it's in italian, try to use google translate cause I'm too lazy to translate it). Long story made short: many phones, especially from Samsung but not only, have defective chips (fstrim bug was connected) and many things (factory reset, going over 70% occupied memory, and others), shorten the eMMC life until finally frying it. At the beginning Samsung was even refusing assistance under warranty cause the chip looks oxidated and they said the phone was put into water, then after many similar complaints they started repairing them.

That user on the italian forum gathered the info after reading a lot on forums about it, but I wasn't able to find such a comprehensive description in english. A short explanation is here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs.

What to say, on my side I'm blacklisting Samsung, this phone has been a joke for me since the beginning (the fstrim bug has been a nightmare), if you dare you can try to replace the board.
13th November 2014, 08:46 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrice79

Hi everyone.

Looks like we have met the infamous eMMC brickbug affecting Samsung phones and others.

After many searchings I found the explanation on an italian forum (http://www.androidiani.com/forum/goo...-brickbug.html, the user wrote this guide after several posts on the topic, it's in italian, try to use google translate cause I'm too lazy to translate it). Long story made short: many phones, especially from Samsung but not only, have defective chips (fstrim bug was connected) and many things (factory reset, going over 70% occupied memory, and others), shorten the eMMC life until finally frying it. At the beginning Samsung was even refusing assistance under warranty cause the chip looks oxidated and they said the phone was put into water, then after many similar complaints they started repairing them.

That user on the italian forum gathered the info after reading a lot on forums about it, but I wasn't able to find such a comprehensive description in english. A short explanation is here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/EMMC_Bugs.

What to say, on my side I'm blacklisting Samsung, this phone has been a joke for me since the beginning (the fstrim bug has been a nightmare), if you dare you can try to replace the board.

So basically - the phone is dead and there is nothing short of replacing components on the phone (circuit boards, chips, etc) that will bring it back to life?

T
13th November 2014, 08:55 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Exactly
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)