Apple V Samsung... Apple won big... boo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jimmyhook

Dec 14, 2010
Editing to reflect proper dumb damages: 1.05 bn (pending)

20 to 21 hours of deliberations is a little fast for such a complicated case me thinks...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
No they didn't .... both kinda won and lost

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

italia0101

Nov 9, 2008
Yea to be fair I just saw. .. they lost lol

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

johnchad14

May 1, 2010
And they come for newer phones like the gn next. Hopefully with less success. Pretty frustrating....really seems like a jury caught in apple fever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Exodian

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, that blows. Its just going to fuel the apple machine to sue more and more and more. They will just keep suing in this same district where Apple and jobs are the second coming of Christ until they do get all major competing phones blocked. I just hope Motorola hits apple hard.

fayosi

Feb 5, 2012
England, Bristol
2.3 billion... crap.

(I'M NOT APPLE FANBOY)
Have you seen the galaxy tab's UI in the settings menu. It's a direct copy of the ipad.:(

Also why wasn't Google Android sued as well? Because every android phone is literally the same in system.:silly:
Why dont samsung just stop copying apple...it's not hard to do it. Such as Svoice that is just stupid copying Siri. I think samsung are just doing it on purpose because Svoice layout and look of it, is just a blatant copy for siri.:confused:
;) ;) ;)

crixley

May 25, 2012
I hate Apple so much....

I didn't until all this crap happened I just said it wasn't for me.

now I would never ever support them in any way no matter what

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

(I'M NOT APPLE FANBOY)
Have you seen the galaxy tab's UI in the settings menu. It's a direct copy of the ipad.:(

Also why wasn't Google Android sued as well? Because every android phone is literally the same in system.:silly:
Why dont samsung just stop copying apple...it's not hard to do it. Such as Svoice that is just stupid copying Siri. I think samsung are just doing it on purpose because Svoice layout and look of it, is just a blatant copy for siri.:confused:
;) ;) ;)

they don't copy them...

Ugh I owned a skyrocket before this, there are no similarities.

obviously people who claim this crap haven't actually used one

Reactions: zAlbee

jordache16

Dec 15, 2011
Iowa
This is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't understand how things like pinch to zoom can even be patented in the first place.

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't understand how things like pinch to zoom can even be patented in the first place.

This is what needs to be highlighted. If it wasn't Apple patenting this, it would be someone else. We need to realize that it's the patent system that's messed up allowing companies to patent these things in the first place. You can't blame Apple for trying this. It's in their best financial interest to do so.

Reactions: jdcnosse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All Android users should take their phones into an Apple Store and advise a "Genius" that their iPhones aren't working.

And when the employee says "But that's not an iPhone" you just say
    "That's funny, the rest of your company couldn't tell the difference."
    Never mind the fact that we wouldn't have phones, tablets, and ultrabooks (that anyone wants to use) without apple first making the iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air. Fact is, when apple does something (not usually the first though) then everyone else follows in a big way.

This is just wrong. Do you really believe that nobody would have tried to improve existing phones, or make thinner laptops? If apple didn't exist, we would still have smartphones and tablets with touch screens and we would still have ultra thin laptops (ultra books). It is the natural evolution. Notice how TVs progressed from tubes to projections to plasmas to thin LCDs to superthin LED LCDs? Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc. - they all make these now and no single company was praised for "revolutionizing" the industry even though they probably deserved it. Apple gets WAY more credit than they deserve for what they do already. That's partly why this decision is so ridiculous. The jury is hugely swayed by the marketing of Apple. Without LCD tech, ARM CPUs, 3g radios, there would be no iPhone. Apple built their products on the shoulders of giants but then steps all over the previous inventors. **** em.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    Apple won't dare to take Google on directly in an all out assault. That's a dangerous, dangerous game for them to play and Google has a ton of ammo and a ton of leverage they could use if they ever felt the need to. It's much easier to tackle manufacturers one at a time, device to device. In a sense, you can't really blame them. They're a publicly traded company and are technically REQUIRED by law to defend their "property" because it's in the best interest of their shareholders. The validity of the patents being issued is somewhat irrelevant. It may be a screwed up patent system, but, none-the-less, Apple has them and they HAVE to defend them. This is a concept that is hard to wrap your head around and a hard pill to swallow.

Android isn't going anywhere. Apple doesn't pursue RIM, Symbian or anyone else because their market share doesn't represent a threat. Google's does, in the U.S. and especially Internationally. Android will ALWAYS own more market share, period, by virtue of being open source alone (and as a sidenote, there are plenty of things in the Android ecosystem that are propriety to Google). If Apple tried to go "thermonuclear" on Android, the court system would shut it down anyway. No corporation is going to be legislated out of business essentially making Apple a monopoly via litigation. Instead, you'll see things like fines get handed out. Apple may want to try and shut someone down instead of licensing out their "proprietary" features, but unfortunately for them that's not a decision they are always entitled to make.

The use of the legal system and regulation is a double edge sword, in any industry.

In all reality, it's not Google's responsibility to "protect" an OEM. Samsung's TouchWiz may have Android underneath it all, but don't be mislead into thinking that TouchWiz is just a "skin". TW is Samsung's own OPERATING SYSTEM that is largely influenced by Android. The reality is that fragmentation, the very thing that Android users hate about Android, is also the very thing that protects it. You can't go after a Nexus device running JellyBean and get a court order and have it automatically apply to other OEM's running a separate Operating System based on JellyBean by mere default. Fragmentation and Android's ecosystem means that someone like Apple has to pick their battles and by the time they win one, all the devices mentioned are already antiquated and whatever the issue was in the first place has already been moved on from anyway. Apple can't sue over a feature in "JellyBean", it's not specific enough.

So why doesn't Google pursue Apple? Simple, Apple doesn't truly threaten Google. All the patents in the world are somewhat irrelevant in truly damaging Google. They may result in Google's legal team staying busy, but at the end of the day the company moves on. Apple is threatened by Google. In their mind, this is no different than Microsoft "stealing" Apple marketshare in the 90's. They were top dog in the PC market, and then they got squashed. They were top dog in the smartphone market, and then they got squashed. Their business strategy isn't a bad one. They're obviously wildly profitable. At the same time, their strategies will always prevent them from remaining on top.
    i wonder if the Jury owned apple or Samsung products, i mean who hasn't owned one or the other? there's no way their was a unbiased jury..

Apples headquarters are ten miles from the courthouse. The jury was picked from the dead center of where Steve jobs is considered the greatest innovator of this century. No way that jury was biased.