FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fix for poor A2DP quality on 4.2.2

195 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By jpalo, Senior Member on 10th March 2013, 02:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just wanted to share this here. There is clear audible decrease in audio quality on 4.2.2 when listening over bluetooth (A2DP). All the higher tones were somehow garbled, like cymbals, or high vocals, etc. I could clearly notice the poor quality on 4.2.2 on my car stereo and also the improvement after installing the fix on my stock rooted GN 4.2.2 (GSM). I haven't tested this on custom ROMs.

Steps:
  1. Root your phone, if not rooted
  2. Make Nandroid backup (in worst case, you might not be able to boot)
  3. Download bluetooth.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...?id=39632#c158 Also attached to this message.
  4. Download audio.a2dp.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...?id=39632#c163 Also attached to this message.
  5. In /system/lib/hw, rename bluetooth.default.so to bluetooth.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  6. In /system/lib/hw, rename audio.a2dp.default.so to audio.a2dp.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  7. Copy files to /system/lib/hw
  8. Set permission on both files to be same as with the original files (644)
  9. Restart phone
Attached Files
File Type: zip a2dp_quality_fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (415.7 KB, 3262 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jpalo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jpalo Ad-Free

10th March 2013, 11:54 PM |#2  
Flag Kuressaare
Thanks Meter: 5,394

More
Edit: deleted
11th March 2013, 05:16 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalo

Just wanted to share this here. There is clear audible decrease in audio quality on 4.2.2 when listening over bluetooth (A2DP). All the higher tones were somehow garbled, like cymbals, or high vocals, etc. I could clearly notice the poor quality on 4.2.2 on my car stereo and also the improvement after installing the fix on my stock rooted GN 4.2.2 (GSM). I haven't tested this on custom ROMs.

Steps:

1. Root your phone, if not rooted
  2. Make Nandroid backup (in worst case, you might not be able to boot)
  3. Download bluetooth.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...?id=39632#c158 Also attached to this message.
  4. Download audio.a2dp.default.so http://code.google.com/p/android/iss...?id=39632#c163 Also attached to this message.
  5. In /system/lib/hw, rename bluetooth.default.so to bluetooth.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  6. In /system/lib/hw, rename audio.a2dp.default.so to audio.a2dp.default.so.bak (or whatever)
  7. Copy files to /system/lib/hw
  8. Set permission on both files to be same as with the original files (644)
  9. Restart phone

hey man !! u made my day !! thanks a lot !!!
12th March 2013, 04:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manumanfred

From CM Team I got reply once for my question about Bluetooth A2DP audio streaming. They said the CM Bluetooth files are not compatible with stock android ROM. So I didn't dare to test the A2DP file but I just downloaded latest night and I took that Bluetooth audio .so file and worked.

Thanks for information that the files worked on your nexus..

interesting, what was your question? because i feel like the CM bluetooth quality has gone down too
12th March 2013, 07:28 AM |#5  
Flag Kuressaare
Thanks Meter: 5,394

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74

interesting, what was your question? because i feel like the CM bluetooth quality has gone down too

I asked information about the bluetooth files for A2DP streaming fix..

CM's Bluetooth quality (I mean A2DP streaming quality) is much better than on stock ROM.

I noticed the difference when I tested CM10.1 first Nightly of JB 4.2.2..
13th March 2013, 03:51 AM |#6  
Flag Gillette
Thanks Meter: 137

More
Re: Fix for poor A2DP quality on 4.2.2
Does this help with call quality over standard Bluetooth

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
13th March 2013, 03:58 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 359

More
ok i'm sorry, but just to be clear, doing this on CM10.1 won't do a think correct?
13th March 2013, 05:26 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I have been looking for something like this!!! Thank you! What exactly does it do? Does it increase the bitpool of the stream?

FYI, I just noticed that it changed my bluetooth device name to "Nexus 4" which can easily be changed back in the bluetooth settings...
13th March 2013, 12:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Very, very good fix. thanks
13th March 2013, 04:52 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 236

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74

ok i'm sorry, but just to be clear, doing this on CM10.1 won't do a think correct?

Interested in this answer as well. Can anyone clarify please?
13th March 2013, 05:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Is it possible/likely that in addition to fixing issues with quality, this will also resolve the high-speed playback problem? A few other people and myself have experienced BT audio streaming where it plays back way too fast in the car. So far there doesn't seem to be a qualified fix for it. I'm interested to try this and see what happens - just wanting to see if anyone knew for certain ahead of time.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
a2dp, bluetooth, quality

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)