FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Galaxy Nexus and late 2018

398 posts
Thanks Meter: 100
 
Post Reply Email Thread
So I just recently grabbed a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, GSM version of course, and I was wondering if anyone else is still rocking this device. Development seems hot still, Nougat roms, and a rumored and confirmed 2.1.4.13 Sailfish OS build (go figure Samuelgames!). What roms are you guys running? any hardware modifications? How is your 7 year old phone holding up? I can't wait to look at that old 2011 Super AMOLED display, god damn do i miss those yellow tinted colors, so easy on the eyes. My Nexus 5 is like looking into another world and my cave man brain doesn't know how to cope.
2nd June 2018, 11:43 AM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyninja66

So I just recently grabbed a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, GSM version of course, and I was wondering if anyone else is still rocking this device. Development seems hot still, Nougat roms, and a rumored and confirmed 2.1.4.13 Sailfish OS build (go figure Samuelgames!). What roms are you guys running? any hardware modifications? How is your 7 year old phone holding up? I can't wait to look at that old 2011 Super AMOLED display, god damn do i miss those yellow tinted colors, so easy on the eyes. My Nexus 5 is like looking into another world and my cave man brain doesn't know how to cope.

It's unfathomable to me why anyone would actually spend money and buy one of these devices in 2018 but anyways, welcome to the GNex forums. Yes, I have one of these as well
2nd June 2018, 01:38 PM |#3  
Galaxyninja66's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Darwin
Thanks Meter: 100
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimali

It's unfathomable to me why anyone would actually spend money and buy one of these devices in 2018 but anyways, welcome to the GNex forums. Yes, I have one of these as well

Hi rahimali, I didn't expect to see you outside of the RAZR M forums, especially not the Gnexus forums.
As for why I grabbed one, I wanted a replacement for my broken Photon Q (god damn that loss still hurts...), and being a massive Nexus fanboy, I saw a good condition used Galaxy nexus on eBay for about 80$ US, which is quite low since all the cheap ones were snatched up around 2015/2016. I could have gotten a white Nexus 4 for the same price but
A: Shipping would have been MUCH slower
B: I would have shattered that glorious glass back within a couple weeks
C: 2011 Super AMOLED > The best of LCD displays (I love the over saturation, its like live display/night light 24/7)
D: Doesn't get ICS support, which is a MASSIVE seller for me.

Since you own one though, I am hearing battery life sucks, how is it comapred to the RAZR M? Is it better on ICS or Kit Kat? What are your thoughts on the phone?

EDIT: I definitely plan on one day grabbing a Nexus S too, it's a really cute phone and I like that all plastic design, it isn't as pretty but damn does it feel good in the hand. now as far as slowness of the Gnexus goes, I am coming from a Photon Q, which wasn't exactly top of the line since I underclocked it to get good battery life (like, 800Mhz underclock) and it still felt fine. I could easily use a Nexus One on CM9 in 2018 so my needs are quite low, I have no doubt that the 2011 GNexus will be like ****ing NASA to me, even compared to my broken WiFi Nexus 5.
4th June 2018, 07:54 AM |#4  
The performance of these phones is more or less equivalent to the Razr M, dual core, 1 GB. These phone have two types of ROMs/Kernels - the legacy ones without CMA with give roughly 600-700 MB of usable RAM and the new CMA enabled ROMs which give 900+ MB of usable RAM.

Most of the development work is being done on the CMA enabled Android 4.4.4 / 6 / 7.1 but IMHO anything over KK bogs down this phone as it just doesn't have the horsepower to handle that stuff. I've found KitKat to be the perfect version for this phone. Of the KitKat ROMs, we have CMA enabled Omni and Unlegacy Android but I've had stability issues with both. Currently I'm using official no-CMA Omni KK which I like very much except I have between 600 and 700 MB of usable RAM...

Why would you even want to use ICS on this phone considering KK is available although the last official release was JB 4.3
5th June 2018, 10:53 AM |#5  
Galaxyninja66's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Darwin
Thanks Meter: 100
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimali

The performance of these phones is more or less equivalent to the Razr M, dual core, 1 GB. These phone have two types of ROMs/Kernels - the legacy ones without CMA with give roughly 600-700 MB of usable RAM and the new CMA enabled ROMs which give 900+ MB of usable RAM.

Most of the development work is being done on the CMA enabled Android 4.4.4 / 6 / 7.1 but IMHO anything over KK bogs down this phone as it just doesn't have the horsepower to handle that stuff. I've found KitKat to be the perfect version for this phone. Of the KitKat ROMs, we have CMA enabled Omni and Unlegacy Android but I've had stability issues with both. Currently I'm using official no-CMA Omni KK which I like very much except I have between 600 and 700 MB of usable RAM...

Why would you even want to use ICS on this phone considering KK is available although the last official release was JB 4.3

I love ICS, it's my favorite version of android. I love that lockscreen, I love that ancient holo aesthetic, I love the old CM9 apollo music app. I love the feeling of being back in 2012 again.

EDIT: As for slowdowns, how is the Gnexus on LOS 14.1 or 7.1 compared to the RAZR M on 7.1? I thought the Razr M was fast as **** on nougat... Also my phones get's here tommorow!!! YAY!!!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes