FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Galaxy Nexus WiFi hotspot working on AT&T w/o tethering plan!

464 posts
Thanks Meter: 118

By NextNexus, Senior Member on 29th December 2011, 05:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm coming from an iPhone 4S and so far I really like the Galaxy Nexus (although it definitely does have its shortcomings compared to the iPhone). I was just playing around in the settings and found Wifi hotspot options. With the iPhone these options never worked unless you paid AT&T extra for a tethering plan (which is not even available when grandfathered into an unlimited plan). I tried turning them on and configuring a PW and lo and behold it worked! I didn't see this mentioned yet and thought others would like to know as well.

29th December 2011, 05:34 PM |#2  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Are you rooted and using a custom rom, or still stock?
29th December 2011, 05:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
I'm still stock...just got the device last night. Also still on 4.0.1 and device shows as no updates available.
29th December 2011, 06:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,133

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwein

I'm still stock...just got the device last night. Also still on 4.0.1 and device shows as no updates available.

Lol. Will you still be this excited if and when atnt switches you to a tethering plan?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
29th December 2011, 06:49 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
I almost never use tethering but the few times I'm traveling it will be very beneficial. I highly doubt AT&T would switch me to a tethering plan if I use less than 1 GB of tethering per yr!
29th December 2011, 06:58 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

I almost never use tethering but the few times I'm traveling it will be very beneficial. I highly doubt AT&T would switch me to a tethering plan if I use less than 1 GB of tethering per yr!

You bought an unlocked phone not associated with AT&T. As a result, the tethering features built into android are not blocked. This is one of my favorite feature of my Nexus One.

I tether all the time and us ~1.5GB of data a month. Although, I have gone as high as 3GB... (I have unlimited data)

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to NPuter For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NPuter Ad-Free
29th December 2011, 07:00 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter

You bought an unlocked phone not associated with AT&T. As a result, the tethering features built into android are not blocked. This is one of my favorite feature of my Nexus One.

I tether all the time and us ~1.5GB of data a month. Although, I have gone as high as 3GB... (I have unlimited data)

Enjoy!

Good to know! Thanks!

Although I do own the unlocked version of the iPhone 4S and even that phone has the tethering options blocked.
29th December 2011, 07:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:

Good to know! Thanks!

Although I do own the unlocked version of the iPhone 4S and even that phone has the tethering options blocked.

Welcome to Android
29th December 2011, 07:36 PM |#9  
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 157

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter

Enjoy!

Precisely...rooting or custom roms have nothing to do with this. Att effectively has no control over how you use your phone or data in this case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
29th December 2011, 07:53 PM |#10  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
Quote:

I'm coming from an iPhone 4S and so far I really like the Galaxy Nexus (although it definitely does have its shortcomings compared to the iPhone). I was just playing around in the settings and found Wifi hotspot options. With the iPhone these options never worked unless you paid AT&T extra for a tethering plan (which is not even available when grandfathered into an unlimited plan). I tried turning them on and configuring a PW and lo and behold it worked! I didn't see this mentioned yet and thought others would like to know as well.

Uhh we knew this. Unlocked phone man. It just works. This is how phones are meant to be.

The iPhone is provisioned by AT&T and its IMEI's are known in AT&T's database. So they're able to block and charge for ridiculous services like tethering.
2nd January 2012, 11:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have tried this out and it works. Is there anyway for AT&T to tell if we are tethering though? Should I be on a tethering apn?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)