FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google+ Data Usage

82 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By floateruk, Member on 19th November 2011, 06:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could should some light on google+ for me?

I've had for the GN for a little over a day nowand for whatever reason I thought I'd check my data usage. Google+ has somehow managed to use 296mb even though I don't use google plus at all.

I've figured out that the camera does an auto upload, so I have disabled that, but is there anything else that I can turn off to help keep this data usage down to a minimum because 250mb per day is pretty heavy...

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm completely new to android.

Thanks all.

19th November 2011, 06:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Probably you have activated the automatic picture upload to Google+? This could be managed within the app. Under settings you could manage that this upload will only be done by WIFI or you could completly stop this upload!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalkd
19th November 2011, 06:42 PM |#3  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 16,153

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by floateruk

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could should some light on google+ for me?

I've had for the GN for a little over a day nowand for whatever reason I thought I'd check my data usage. Google+ has somehow managed to use 296mb even though I don't use google plus at all.

I've figured out that the camera does an auto upload, so I have disabled that, but is there anything else that I can turn off to help keep this data usage down to a minimum because 250mb per day is pretty heavy...

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm completely new to android.

Thanks all.

I think the only killer is instant upload of pictures and videos. Did you even take 200+Mb of pictures? Everything else is pretty harmless apart from synching contacts and that wouldnt take up much. Just set your uploads to only go over a wifi connection and it should be fine.

Mark.
19th November 2011, 06:53 PM |#4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thanks for the replies guys

I think i took a total of six pictures just messing with the camera. I think ill stay off the camera for a day and see if the data calms down.

Ive turned auto upload off so hopefully itll sort itself out anyway.
19th November 2011, 06:57 PM |#5  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
It was probably just initial contact/data sync and then picture instant upload. If you turn off instant upload in the settings you'll be fine.

You can also just turn off background data for G+ in the data use settings if you're not going to use it.
1st December 2011, 09:06 PM |#6  
Flag Sheffield, UK
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I've had Google+ issues too today.

I haven't got instant upload ticked, but now that i'm home and on wifi, google+ is say here rattling away at 4% CPU and appears to be constantly downloading something, but god knows what as I've been home 4 hours and its not stopped.

"System Panel" app shows my Network on the phone constantly downloading upto 1mb/sec. I confirm this is Google+ by force stopping the app and the network usage and CPU drops to zero.

I do have a rather large Picasa collection, but as these are already with Google, i'm not sure why it would do anything with those....

I've rebooted the phone since the force stop and all is quiet, no downloading.
Opened Google+ again.... a little download when I went into photos, but all quiet.

Opened Gallery, its shows all my albums, but no extra traffic or CPU.

I wonder if Google+ just got its knickers in a twist somehow?
1st December 2011, 10:45 PM |#7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarch1972

I do have a rather large Picasa collection, but as these are already with Google, i'm not sure why it would do anything with those....

It'll be syncing them to your gallery then. They've probably all appeared in there now.
12th January 2012, 04:19 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Data usage of google plus
I have the same problem with my Galaxy Nexus.

I found that a backup of all my pictures in picasa is automatically kept under:

/data/media/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.plus/cache

which appears as "USB storage data" in Google+ App info.

This backup starts even if the "Make available offline" option in the Gallery is not selected and since I have many pictures in Picasa, the total amount of storage used is almost 2GB !

In order to avoid this undesired synchronization of google+, I had to disable the "Sync Google Photos" under my "Sync Settings".
I also removed by hand the above directory to recover the (precious) space in my phone.

Unfortunately this is causing the side effect that the instant upload is not anymore available for photos and videos.

It would be highly desirable that an option is introduced to disable this google+ synchronization.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)