FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Internal Memory Data Recovery - Yes We Can!

170 posts
Thanks Meter: 355

By Wartickler, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 09:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st November 2012, 10:55 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tallahassee, FL

More
Cloud Search
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda_toronto

Thanks again for this tutorial... this should be spread across xda forums for any others running into these issues.

Agreed - lol

Firstly, I only recently created this guide. I'm sorry you lost files

Secondly, I attempted to link to older threads that mention the same issue so that they would be more likely to show up in a future Google search but I was scolded for waking up old threads, which makes sense. I just thought this was a rather seriously important issue that deserves a lot of eyes. Loss of personal photos is a little more significant than troubleshooting a bad ROM flash, IMO. But the Mod correctly canceled those other posts. It is a little douchey to try to increase a post count by linking all over to a single (my first, really) post. However, I couldn't give less of a pbbbttt about post counts. If you don't mind me asking, how did you find this thread?

Lastly, if you add it to your sig then this will show up on all of your posts...just sayin'...

I'm glad it at least helped you get 12 pics back...
22nd November 2012, 11:01 AM |#12  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Proplem
Sir .. I'm facing problem .. it won't receive any data from 5555 port .. I tried to make it copy the RAW file but it stopped without getting any data .. is that normal ?? see the picture attached

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gnex.jpg
Views:	6266
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1502139  
22nd November 2012, 11:16 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 650

More
I have a question. Let's say we don't want somebody to ever use this guide to recover our stuff after we sell them a phone. What's the most secure and thorough way to destroy all data on the Gnex, making it impossible to recover, short of destroying the phone?
22nd November 2012, 12:28 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 228

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med1a

Sir .. I'm facing problem .. it won't receive any data from 5555 port .. I tried to make it copy the RAW file but it stopped without getting any data .. is that normal ?? see the picture attached

i have the same problem
22nd November 2012, 01:53 PM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tallahassee, FL

More
Sign A couple things from you screenshots...
Quote:

Sir .. I'm facing problem .. it won't receive any data from 5555 port .. I tried to make it copy the RAW file but it stopped without getting any data .. is that normal ??

Did you try without using su command? Also where is busybox installed? /system/bin or /system/xbin?
22nd November 2012, 01:57 PM |#16  
Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11,475

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADude

I have a question. Let's say we don't want somebody to ever use this guide to recover our stuff after we sell them a phone. What's the most secure and thorough way to destroy all data on the Gnex, making it impossible to recover, short of destroying the phone?

If you use the erase command in fastboot, it should work (i.e., "fastboot erase userdata"), otherwise, flashing the stock userdata image will do the trick (i.e., "fastboot flash userdata userdata.img") <-- this writes a blank image in the userdata partition.
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
22nd November 2012, 02:16 PM |#17  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tallahassee, FL

More
Question ...well, that's a good question!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADude

I would imagine you could do this guide, use a Guttman algorithm wipe utility on the attached VHD and then figure out a way to push the entire VHD back to the phone. Unfortunately, that may not actually overlay the physical phone memory in the same way. Perhaps you could wipe the VHD again and push it again, and then again...?

I want to say that someone asked the question on scandiun's post too. Go see if they figured out how to push back to the phone.

Good luck (:
22nd November 2012, 02:52 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 228

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartickler

Did you try without using su command? Also where is busybox installed? /system/bin or /system/xbin?

busy box installed properly in the right directory

su command used
22nd November 2012, 03:39 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 947

More
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetunandu

su command used

When running su check on phone that permissions are granted. Furthermore using absolute paths is for when you are running it from clockworkmod recovery. If the phone is powered on you can use

Code:
adb forward tcp:5555 tcp:5555
adb shell
su
nc -l -p 5555 -e dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
Open another Cygwin terminal and enter:
Code:
cd /nexus
nc 127.0.0.1 5555 | pv -i 0.5 > mmcblk0p12.raw
If you are still having problems you can try the command within the phone only and see if dd works:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/dev/null
Also, make sure you run all the commands in the two terminals each time and in the proper order, if you are not sure cancel with Control+C and close them and restart again.

For those who want to try backing up the partition via wifi, you can send it via ftp. Read this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post27793062
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
22nd November 2012, 05:39 PM |#20  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tallahassee, FL

More
Phone Don't use su...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetunandu

su command used

Please try no su exactly as in the first post.

Did you follow the steps exactly? I can only say they worked for me ):

What phone do you have?
22nd November 2012, 06:41 PM |#21  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartickler

yes I tried with su and without su .. busybox installed in /system/xbin and I have checked that million times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

When running su check on phone that permissions are granted. Furthermore using absolute paths is for when you are running it from clockworkmod recovery. If the phone is powered on you can use

Code:
adb shell
su
nc -l -p 5555 -e dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
Open another Cygwin terminal and enter:
Code:
cd /nexus
nc 127.0.0.1 5555 | pv -i 0.5 > mmcblk0p12.raw
If you are still having problems you can try the command within the phone only and see if dd works:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/dev/null
Also, make sure you run all the commands in the two terminals each time and in the proper order, if you are not sure cancel with Control+C and close them and restart again.

For those who want to try backing up the partition via wifi, you can send it via ftp. Read this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post27793062

I'm not sure if su got permission granted cause nothing showed up on the phone and yes dd works fine see the picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	5495
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1502965  
The Following User Says Thank You to Med1a For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Med1a Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
[guide], [howto]

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)