FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Internal Memory Data Recovery - Yes We Can!

170 posts
Thanks Meter: 355

By Wartickler, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 09:54 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd November 2012, 06:41 PM |#21  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartickler

Did you try without using su command? Also where is busybox installed? /system/bin or /system/xbin?

yes I tried with su and without su .. busybox installed in /system/xbin and I have checked that million times

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

When running su check on phone that permissions are granted. Furthermore using absolute paths is for when you are running it from clockworkmod recovery. If the phone is powered on you can use

Code:
adb forward tcp:5555 tcp:5555
adb shell
su
nc -l -p 5555 -e dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12
Open another Cygwin terminal and enter:
Code:
adb forward tcp:5555 tcp:5555
cd /nexus
nc 127.0.0.1 5555 | pv -i 0.5 > mmcblk0p12.raw
If you are still having problems you can try the command within the phone only and see if dd works:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/dev/null
Also, make sure you run all the commands in the two terminals each time and in the proper order, if you are not sure cancel with Control+C and close them and restart again.

For those who want to try backing up the partition via wifi, you can send it via ftp. Read this post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2#post27793062

I'm not sure if su got permission granted cause nothing showed up on the phone and yes dd works fine see the picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	5495
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1502965  
The Following User Says Thank You to Med1a For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Med1a Ad-Free
22nd November 2012, 07:08 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 947

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Med1a

yes I tried with su and without su .. busybox installed in /system/xbin and I have checked that million times

I'm not sure if su got permission granted cause nothing showed up on the phone and yes dd works fine see the picture attached

Yes you got su granted since the shell shows you the # that is for su, the $ is for unprivileged user.

Try reading from the p12 partition in case it is there the fault:
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1
It's weird, you seem having adb connection problems between the phone and the computer. I suggest you to try another different port from 5555, and if doesn't work either, try receiving the raw file via wifi instead via usb cable, you have here an example:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=17
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
22nd November 2012, 07:34 PM |#23  
Flag Oklahoma City

More
Quote:

Yes you got su granted since the shell shows you the # that is for su, the $ is for unprivileged user.

Try reading from the p12 partition in case it is there the fault:

Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/dev/null bs=512 count=1
It's weird, you seem having adb connection problems between the phone and the computer. I suggest you to try another different port from 5555, and if doesn't work either, try receiving the raw file via wifi instead via usb cable, you have here an example:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=17

it seems that mmcblk0p12 is zero byets .. I don't know someone tell me that i'm wrong .. see picture attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	3797
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	1503110  
22nd November 2012, 07:40 PM |#24  

More
Quote:

it seems that mmcblk0p12 is zero byets .. I don't know someone tell me that i'm wrong .. see picture attached

It always shows 0 bytes because is a block device. You have to read it with dd or use some partition editor, you cannot read it directly via ftp.

With fdisk
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
With parted
Code:
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
print
Furthermore you are using Filezilla Client, not Filezilla Server, so try reading directly the fifo.
The Following User Says Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
22nd November 2012, 08:27 PM |#25  
Flag Oklahoma City

More
Quote:

It always shows 0 bytes because is a block device. You have to read it with dd or use some partition editor, you cannot read it directly via ftp.

With fdisk

Code:
fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
With parted
Code:
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
print
Furthermore you are using Filezilla Client, not Filezilla Server, so try reading directly the fifo.

am I doing good so far ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled3.jpg
Views:	3921
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1503328  
22nd November 2012, 08:42 PM |#26  

More
Quote:

am I doing good so far ?

Put the myfifo in /cache not in /data that is where you are reading from and where you are supposed to recover deleted files so you shouldn't write there

Open one terminal
Code:
adb shell
su
mkfifo /cache/myfifo
ftpput -v -u ahmed -P 40 192.168.1.114 p12.raw /cache/myfifo
Open another terminal
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/cache/myfifo bs=4096
Now check on Filezilla Server the speed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scandiun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift scandiun Ad-Free
24th November 2012, 01:05 AM |#27  
Flag Oklahoma City

More
Quote:

Put the myfifo in /cache not in /data that is where you are reading from and where you are supposed to recover deleted files so you shouldn't write there

Open one terminal

Code:
adb shell
su
mkfifo /cache/myfifo
ftpput -v -u ahmed -P 40 192.168.1.114 p12.raw /cache/myfifo
Open another terminal
Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 of=/cache/myfifo bs=4096
Now check on Filezilla Server the speed

Thank you so much scandiun .. It was always giving me connection time out even if I set time out to 0 in the settings I tried many times then I got tired, After all that I discovered another way you can get it as a tip . I used USB tethering option in the phone to make local connection between my computer and the phone with HIGH SPEED transfer rate ... mine is 16 gb and it took 2006.030 secs to transfer it to my computer

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to Med1a For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Med1a Ad-Free
24th November 2012, 01:55 AM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tallahassee, FL
Thanks Meter: 355

More
Quote:

Thank you so much scandiun .. It was always giving me connection time out even if I set time out to 0 in the settings I tried many times then I got tired, After all that I discovered another way you can get it as a tip . I used USB tethering option in the phone to make local connection between my computer and the phone with HIGH SPEED transfer rate ... mine is 16 gb and it took 2006.030 secs to transfer it to my computer

Thanks again

Success! Would you please share precisely your steps that gave you this success for any future users that find this thread? Congratulations!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
24th November 2012, 04:56 PM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 228

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartickler

Please try no su exactly as in the first post.

Did you follow the steps exactly? I can only say they worked for me ):

What phone do you have?

galaxy nexus, gsm, 4.2
25th November 2012, 02:30 AM |#30  
Flag Oklahoma City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetunandu

galaxy nexus, gsm, 4.2

I will write up all my steps using FTP later .. just wait me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Med1a For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Med1a Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 07:28 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Thank you, you beautiful, beautiful, person.

The only problem I had was I had to install "nc". Maybe good to add that to the guide?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
[guide], [howto]

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)