[GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root

Search This thread

ktulu029

Jun 28, 2010
The versions might matter, but you're on the same revisions I'm on. Now, I will say that I am running from C:/Program Files(x86)/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ rather than just the straight C:/ prompt, just because I've been too lazy to add ADB to my system variables. I'm also using MTP, which shouldn't affect it.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit; going from the Droid line to the Fascinate was my last jump.

The only thing I can think of to try is to make sure that you are running your Command Prompt as Administrator. The fact that it's creating a file at all seems to disprove that this would have an effect, but it's worth a try.

Did you replace the driver with the modified android_winusb.inf?

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Did you replace the driver with the modified android_winusb.inf?

Nope, just the standard Samsung driver:

SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface
Driver Date: 11/25/2011
Driver Version: 2.9.310.1125

It's the one installed with PDANet, I believe. As long as you have a connection though, I can't imagine that would be the issue. Which driver do you have?

ktulu029

Jun 28, 2010
Nope, just the standard Samsung driver:

SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface
Driver Date: 11/25/2011
Driver Version: 2.9.310.1125

It's the one installed with PDANet, I believe. As long as you have a connection though, I can't imagine that would be the issue. Which driver do you have?

Well I am stumped. I need to call it a night, but I will come back to it tomorrow and keep working. Thank you for all of your help so far.

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Well I am stumped. I need to call it a night, but I will come back to it tomorrow and keep working. Thank you for all of your help so far.

Yeah, same here. Hope we can get it working eventually; I'd suggest trying it on another machine if you have one, or maybe even a virtual machine (worst case).

crachel

Retired Senior Moderator
Jul 13, 2008
Texas
I wasn't exactly clear if you needed an ICS device or just the most up-to-date SDK. After downloading the latest SDK, I tested on un-rooted OTA GRK39F N1 and got

Code:
adb: unable to connect for backup

..so that's that.

Question: My NS doesn't have ICS yet or I'd test myself, but does this work from recovery? I noticed there is a prompt on the phone at the end, so my suspicion is no.

Excellent post, by the way.

Reactions: Neo3D

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
I was getting a 0 byte file until I removed the '-shared' flag, and had to do an 'adb pull /sdcard/ .' to get the missing bits

Well that's a weird bug, but that's worth a try for ktulu029.

I am guessing this guide will also work perfectly on osx?

You're welcome to try it. :) It just uses ADB, so it should, but I don't have a mac to test it on. You might have to use a different path notation if OS X is different, otherwise it should be the same commands.

I wasn't exactly clear if you needed an ICS device or just the most up-to-date SDK. After downloading the latest SDK, I tested on un-rooted OTA GRK39F N1 and got

Code:
adb: unable to connect for backup

..so that's that.

Question: My NS doesn't have ICS yet or I'd test myself, but does this work from recovery? I noticed there is a prompt on the phone at the end, so my suspicion is no.

Excellent post, by the way.

Thanks. :)

Yes, I forgot to mention that, but it is ICS only. Doing it from recovery is an interesting idea; I don't know if that's possible or not. Can ADB access a phone in recovery, or does it rely on communicating with the OS?

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Just updated to SDK version 15, but I'm not able to backup...
Code:
adb: unable to open file ./backup.ab

Make sure to update the platform tools package:

DVdIH.png

This updates ADB and such; you'll need revision 10 as shown.

ktulu029

Jun 28, 2010
Well I went through and dropped the -shared flag with no change. I also did the adb pull /sdcard/, and all that did was render my computer unable to see my phone. Very confusing.

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Well I went through and dropped the -shared flag with no change. I also did the adb pull /sdcard/, and all that did was render my computer unable to see my phone. Very confusing.

:(

Have you tried backing up an individual app to see if that works? Something like:

Code:
adb backup com.facebook.katana -f /backup/facebook.ab

Also, last resort question: have you set a device encryption password under developer options? If so, is that the same password you're entering at the backup screen?

Last edited:
Reactions: EuphoricFuzion

eckischeich

Apr 7, 2009
what command exactly are you using? try removing the ./ portion from the beginning

Commands as recommended in first post:
Neither
Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all -f backup.ab
nor
Code:
adb backup -all
are working for me. :(

./ was not added by me.

You guys didn't create this file before you started the process, did you?

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Commands as recommended in first post:
Neither
Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all -f backup.ab
nor
Code:
adb backup -all
are working for me. :(

./ was not added by me.

You guys didn't create this file before you started the process, did you?

For the first command, you'll need to do something like

Code:
adb backup -apk -shared -all -f /backup/backup.ab

For some reason, I've not been able to get it to write directly to the root drive; I have to specifiy a folder, then a filename. Try that, and also reference my above post to ensure your platform tools are up to date.

Reactions: snigna

ktulu029

Jun 28, 2010
Also, last resort question: have you set a device encryption password under developer options? If so, is that the same password you're entering at the backup screen?

Boom...Headshot. I have data. I dont remember setting a password, but I did go into that menu. So I went in, set a password, then used it. We are in business.

Great toubleshooting. Thank You very much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Like a lot of you, I have been putting off unlocking the bootloader on my Nexus because I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of backing up everything manually and restoring individual application data; logging back into apps; saving settings; etc. I found an undocumented (at least as far as my googling was able to find) feature in the latest version of the ADB platform tools (for Android 4.0+) that allows you to create a full system backup, including app apks, their respective data, as well as the internal storage.

Keep in mind this is experimental and not exactly publicized as a feature of ICS, so don't count on this as your only method of backup!

This guide assumes you have already installed the Android SDK, and updated the Android SDK Platform Tools to the latest version (currently Rev 10) using the SDK Manager.

1. Connect your device via USB, and open a command prompt.

2. Optionally, type the command 'adb devices' to ensure that your device is properly recognized. If you're comfortable with ADB already, just skip this.

There is a command, 'adb backup' (to be detailed shortly), that will now allow you to create a full system backup.

The command parameters format is:

adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|nosystem] [<packages...>]

The most basic command you can use* is simply:

This will use the defaults to backup only app and device data (not the APKs themselves) to the current directory as 'backup.ab'

* This may not work for every setup. If you get an error such as "adb: cannot open file ./backup.ab", use:

adb backup -all -f C:\backup.ab

Or substitute the path of your choice in place of C:\.

To explain the parameters:

Use this to choose where the backup file will be stored, e.g. '-f /backup/mybackup.ab', which will save it at the root of your drive (C:\ for Windows, etc.) in a folder called backup, as a file named 'mybackup.ab'. I recommend using this flag to set a location manually, as with my first backup test, it said that it completed successfully, but I was unable to locate the backup file. I have no idea where it was saved, but it wasn't where it should have been located.

This flags whether or not the APKs should be included in the backup or just the apps' respective data. I personally use -apk just in case the app isn't available in the Market, so that I don't have to go hunt it down again. The default is -noapk.

This flag is used to "enable/disable backup of the device's shared storage / SD card contents; the default is noshared.", which for the Nexus I would certainly flag to -shared, but from my test, it did not restore all of the contents of my internal storage, so I recommend backing up music, pictures, video, and other internal storage items manually, just to be on the safe side. The default is -noshared.

This flag is just an easy way to say to backup ALL apps. The packages flag (further on) can be used to choose individual packages, but unless you're just wanting to backup a specific application, use -all for a full system backup.

This flag sets whether or not the -all flag also includes system applications or not. I used -system, but this is probably unnecessary, and I would almost guess that it is safer to use -nosystem, but use your own judgment on this. The default is -system.

Here you can list the package names (e.g. com.google.android.apps.plus) specifically that you would like to backup. Use this only if you're looking to backup a specific application.

3. Once you've made your decision on how to perform the backup, simply type the command as you would like it; in my case, this is the command that I used:

adb backup -apk -shared -all -f C:\backup20111230.ab

4. You will see a screen like the following:

OGmMa.png

5. Enter a password (if desired) for encryption of the backup file. RETAIN THIS PASSWORD FOR RESTORING LATER.

6. This process will take several minutes to complete, depending on the settings you've chosen, but when completed, you will get a toast on-screen saying 'Backup Complete', or if you miss that, you'll know once your phone returns to the home screen.

7. Now go unlock your bootloader (not going to go into the process for this guide, but you probably know how already, and if not, there are several guides a search away).

8. Once you're booted back into Android, you can choose to add your account now, or skip that for later. I skipped it for later, but I think it might make the process more smooth to sign in before the restore. YMMV.

9. To restore, with your device connected open your command prompt again, and type:

adb restore C:\backup20111230.ab

replacing 'C:\backup20111230.ab' with the location of your backup file.

10. You will see a screen like the one below:

MT9Sl.png

11. Simply type in your current encryption password (if you've set one), and the password with which the backup was encrypted (if you chose to set a password), and the restore will begin. It again will take several minutes depending on the size of the backup and the options chosen.

12. You're back to normal, short of possibly some widgets on the home screen. My wallpaper was even restored, my app folders remained just as I had them before, my alarms remained, and for most applications, I didn't even have to log back in; it kept everything.

NOTE: I did have an issue with not all files being restored to the Internal Storage; in particular, the Gallery still displayed all the folders and files that it had cached (which it expected to be there) as only gray boxes, and would not display the images, nor would it rescan the media. I simply copied the files back to the Internal Storage directory manually, and all was well again. Again, YMMV.

NOTE 12/31: Also to note, this will not back up SMS messages, so if you're concerned about those, you may want to look into an alternative application to back up SMS.

NOTE 06/12: There seems to be a bug in which backup and restore operations will fail unless a desktop backup password is set under Developer Options. It will not work with a blank password.

Hope this is able to help! If so, give me a thanks :))) and let me know how your experience goes.

- Kevin
    I've always been able to perform an adb backup using the command adb backup -apk -shared -all -f D:\Android\Nexus5\YYYYMMDD.ab

But since upgrading the SDK platform-tools using installer_r24.4.1-windows.exe now when I use the same command I get the error message
    adb: unable to open file D:\Android\Nexus5\YYYYMMDD.ab
    and in the D:\Android\Nexus5 folder is an empty folder named YYYYMMDD.ab

To get the ADB backup to work I have to open the CMD window in the D:\Android\Nexus5 folder and then modify the backup command to
    adb backup -apk -shared -all -f YYYYMMDD.ab
    I created a simple DOS batch script to pull the media contents and then do a adb backup.

echo off
    SET Today=%Date: =0%
    SET Year=%Today:~-4%
    SET Month=%Today:~-10,2%
    SET Day=%Today:~-7,2%
    SET DateString=%Year%%Month%%Day%

echo on
    adb pull /data/media/ ./%DateString%Media/
    ECHO Allow Backup on Phone
    adb backup -apk -noshared -all -f ./backup%DateString%.ab
    adb kill-server
    I created a simple DOS batch script to pull the media contents and then do a adb backup.

The media backup can take awhile so I borrowed your batch file to give a menu. I have not tested the restore options and it loses the ability to do multiple backups.

Code:
    echo off
    SET Today=%Date: =0%
    SET Year=%Today:~-4%
    SET Month=%Today:~-10,2%
    SET Day=%Today:~-7,2%
    SET DateString=%Year%%Month%%Day%

:MENU
    ECHO 1. Backup /data/media/
    ECHO 2. Backup USER apps and data ONLY (excluding system apps)
    ECHO 3. Backup USER apps and data AND shared data(excluding system apps)
    ECHO 4. Backup ALL apps and data (including system apps and shared data)
    ECHO 5. Restore /data/media
    ECHO 6. Restore USER apps and data
    ECHO 7. Restore ALL apps and data (including system apps)
    ECHO 8. Quit
    SET /p choice=Please choose a menu option: 
    IF '%choice%' == '1' GOTO BUMEDIA
    IF '%choice%' == '2' GOTO BUUSERAPPS
    IF '%choice%' == '3' GOTO BUUSERAPPSSHARED
    IF '%choice%' == '4' GOTO BUALLAPPS
    IF '%choice%' == '5' GOTO RESMEDIA
    IF '%choice%' == '6' GOTO RESUSERAPPS
    IF '%choice%' == '7' GOTO RESSYSAPPS
    IF '%choice%' == '8' GOTO QUIT_MENU
    ECHO Please choose an option between 1 and 8
    GOTO MENU

:BUMEDIA
    ECHO Backing up /data/media/
    echo on
    ::adb pull /data/media/ ./%DateString%Media/
    adb pull /data/media/ ./Media/
    adb kill-server
    ECHO OFF
    CLS
    GOTO MENU

:BUUSERAPPS
    ECHO Unlock screen, set a password (required)
    ::adb backup -apk -shared -all -nosystem -f ./userbackup%DateString%.ab
    adb backup -apk -shared -all -nosystem -f ./userbackup.ab
    adb kill-server
    CLS
    REM Your device must return to the homescreen prior to disconnecting the USB cable
    GOTO MENU

:BUUSERAPPSSHARED
    ::adb backup -apk -noshared -all -nosystem -f ./userbackup%DateString%.ab
    adb backup -apk -noshared -all -nosystem -f ./userbackup.ab
    adb kill-server
    CLS
    REM Your device must return to the homescreen prior to disconnecting the USB cable
    GOTO MENU

:BUALLAPPS
    ::adb backup -apk -shared -all -system -f ./sysbackup%DateString%.ab
    adb backup -apk -shared -all -f -system ./sysbackup.ab
    adb kill-server
    CLS
    GOTO MENU

:RESMEDIA
    ECHO Restoring /data/media/
    ECHO ON
    adb push ./Media/ /data/media/
    adb kill-server
    ECHO OFF
    CLS
    GOTO MENU

:RESUSERAPPS
    ECHO Unlock screen, enter the password
    adb restore ./userbackup.ab
    adb kill-server
    CLS
    GOTO MENU

:RESSYSAPPS
    ECHO Unlock screen, enter the password
    adb restore ./sysbackup.ab
    adb kill-server
    CLS
    GOTO MENU

:QUIT_MENU
    Is there any way to verify the integrity of the backup file?

Yes, in a way : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1730309

With this you can "unpack" the .ab file and then be sure it can be read without error.
    Hope this helped you