Thanks Meter: 594

By copkay, Senior Member on 31st December 2011, 07:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd January 2012, 05:47 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by copkay

The versions might matter, but you're on the same revisions I'm on. Now, I will say that I am running from C:/Program Files(x86)/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools/ rather than just the straight C:/ prompt, just because I've been too lazy to add ADB to my system variables. I'm also using MTP, which shouldn't affect it.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit; going from the Droid line to the Fascinate was my last jump.

The only thing I can think of to try is to make sure that you are running your Command Prompt as Administrator. The fact that it's creating a file at all seems to disprove that this would have an effect, but it's worth a try.

Did you replace the driver with the modified android_winusb.inf?
3rd January 2012, 05:50 AM |#22  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu029

Did you replace the driver with the modified android_winusb.inf?

Nope, just the standard Samsung driver:

SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface
Driver Date: 11/25/2011
Driver Version: 2.9.310.1125

It's the one installed with PDANet, I believe. As long as you have a connection though, I can't imagine that would be the issue. Which driver do you have?
3rd January 2012, 05:59 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

Nope, just the standard Samsung driver:

SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface
Driver Date: 11/25/2011
Driver Version: 2.9.310.1125

It's the one installed with PDANet, I believe. As long as you have a connection though, I can't imagine that would be the issue. Which driver do you have?

Well I am stumped. I need to call it a night, but I will come back to it tomorrow and keep working. Thank you for all of your help so far.
3rd January 2012, 06:01 AM |#24  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu029

Well I am stumped. I need to call it a night, but I will come back to it tomorrow and keep working. Thank you for all of your help so far.

Yeah, same here. Hope we can get it working eventually; I'd suggest trying it on another machine if you have one, or maybe even a virtual machine (worst case).
3rd January 2012, 07:27 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I was getting a 0 byte file until I removed the '-shared' flag, and had to do an 'adb pull /sdcard/ .' to get the missing bits
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benwh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benwh Ad-Free
3rd January 2012, 09:14 AM |#26  
Flag Northampton
Thanks Meter: 6,558

More
I am guessing this guide will also work perfectly on osx?
3rd January 2012, 12:37 PM |#27  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 3,099

More
I wasn't exactly clear if you needed an ICS device or just the most up-to-date SDK. After downloading the latest SDK, I tested on un-rooted OTA GRK39F N1 and got

Code:
adb: unable to connect for backup
..so that's that.

Question: My NS doesn't have ICS yet or I'd test myself, but does this work from recovery? I noticed there is a prompt on the phone at the end, so my suspicion is no.

Excellent post, by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to crachel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crachel Ad-Free
3rd January 2012, 02:01 PM |#28  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwh

I was getting a 0 byte file until I removed the '-shared' flag, and had to do an 'adb pull /sdcard/ .' to get the missing bits

Well that's a weird bug, but that's worth a try for ktulu029.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleski75

I am guessing this guide will also work perfectly on osx?

You're welcome to try it. It just uses ADB, so it should, but I don't have a mac to test it on. You might have to use a different path notation if OS X is different, otherwise it should be the same commands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crachel

I wasn't exactly clear if you needed an ICS device or just the most up-to-date SDK. After downloading the latest SDK, I tested on un-rooted OTA GRK39F N1 and got

Code:
adb: unable to connect for backup
..so that's that.

Question: My NS doesn't have ICS yet or I'd test myself, but does this work from recovery? I noticed there is a prompt on the phone at the end, so my suspicion is no.

Excellent post, by the way.

Thanks.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, but it is ICS only. Doing it from recovery is an interesting idea; I don't know if that's possible or not. Can ADB access a phone in recovery, or does it rely on communicating with the OS?
3rd January 2012, 02:16 PM |#29  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 3,099

More
Quote:

Can ADB access a phone in recovery, or does it rely on communicating with the OS?

Yep, adb works in recovery on all my devices
The Following User Says Thank You to crachel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crachel Ad-Free
3rd January 2012, 02:26 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crachel

Yep, adb works in recovery on all my devices

Cool, I might have to try this later once I get home. If it works from recovery, that'd be spiffy.
3rd January 2012, 10:28 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Just updated to SDK version 15, but I'm not able to backup...
Code:
adb: unable to open file ./backup.ab
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, android, backup, ice-cream-sandwich, restore

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)