By copkay, Senior Member on 31st December 2011, 07:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th October 2018, 10:10 PM |#771  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
So I tried to backup/restore a few apps + data with this command:
Code:
$ adb backup -apk -f <filename> <package names>
After confirming the backup on my device, it seemed to successfully have backed up things. The backup-file was far from empty, so I'm sure it did something.

After I manually removed the apps from my phone (as this was a test), I restored the backup with:
Code:
$ adb restore <filename>
Passed in my device password again and it showed me the packagenames I had actually backed up on the restore screen.

After the restore seemed to be successful I noticed that none of my apps/packages were installed. I shelled into my phone to check the /data folders by hand even none of the packages I had "restored" were there.

My phone is rooted, and ADB has root access.

Is this a joke from Google? "Here have a backup/restore mechanism!" *restores* "Hah just kidding, your data is now lost".
28th October 2018, 02:35 PM |#772  
Flag Reggio Emilia
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerynGoesAndroid

The backup-file was far from empty, so I'm sure it did something.

You may give a look on what's inside with https://sourceforge.net/projects/adbextractor/
The Following User Says Thank You to GCalzo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GCalzo Ad-Free
28th October 2018, 03:52 PM |#773  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCalzo

You may give a look on what's inside with https://sourceforge.net/projects/adbextractor/

Thanks!

Some app data seems to be in there (database and package manifest), but no APK and for some reason it doesnt restore the data to the correct location then.
I also noticed app data is split up between /data/data and /sdcard/Android/data, in which I guess only the latter is properly read/write accessible even though I have root access.
28th February 2019, 07:17 PM |#774  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Any advice on how to successfully restore if I have followed every one of the steps? Only thing I changed is I had to set up the computer backup password afterwards. When I initiate the restoration, it does show a progression but after a couple of minutes, it says it's done but nothing has been restored at all. Any help would be appreciated.
17th April 2019, 07:02 AM |#775  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerynGoesAndroid

So I tried to backup/restore a few apps + data with this command:

Code:
$ adb backup -apk -f <filename> <package names>
After confirming the backup on my device, it seemed to successfully have backed up things. The backup-file was far from empty, so I'm sure it did something.

After I manually removed the apps from my phone (as this was a test), I restored the backup with:
Code:
$ adb restore <filename>
Passed in my device password again and it showed me the packagenames I had actually backed up on the restore screen.

After the restore seemed to be successful I noticed that none of my apps/packages were installed. I shelled into my phone to check the /data folders by hand even none of the packages I had "restored" were there.

My phone is rooted, and ADB has root access.

Is this a joke from Google? "Here have a backup/restore mechanism!" *restores* "Hah just kidding, your data is now lost".

Exact same experience here. More half assed beta software from google. Thanks so much for the wasted time.
30th April 2019, 01:01 PM |#776  
Flag Reggio Emilia
Thanks Meter: 30

More
As far as I know you must first install the app and then do a restore...
21st September 2019, 09:02 AM |#778  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
please sign the petition for Google NOT to remove ADB backup and restore http://chng.it/MNGcD2gc4H
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, android, backup, ice-cream-sandwich, restore

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)