[INFO][Speedtest]AT&T Straight Talk vs T-Mobile Straight Talk

Search This thread

Ravnarok

Dec 23, 2010
I just activated my phone on ST art and I can vouch. If I plug in a proxy it will throttle me and I can't do a speed test however if I leave it blank I get awesome speeds and can actually do speed tests and stream YouTube and Netflix

I believe the proxy is what they use to throttle and cap your service

So far I am loving straight talk

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I really hope this is true, I'm about to jump ship from Sprint to go to ST AT&T. So it's as simple as leaving the proxy empty? What's normally in the proxy field?

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
I really hope this is true, I'm about to jump ship from Sprint to go to ST AT&T. So it's as simple as leaving the proxy empty? What's normally in the proxy field?

http://straighttalksim.com/support.php (under phone programming)
asdf.png

I also left port empty just to be safe. I don't use MMS so basically I just add the first two line. Name and APN name.

Last edited:

shev7chenko

Jun 4, 2012
El Paso

Nothing it's empty by default they tell you to type in a proxy for those customers that don't know any better

zombie1991

Jan 8, 2011
Well I have my Google GNex sitting on the desk in front of me. I have an AT&T ST sim with the unlimited already bought and also two $.99 T-Mo sims coming in the mail(got two because they are only $.99). My contract with Verizon is up NEXT Saturday. I'll FINALLY be on board with the rest of you.

My wife's contract isn't up until NEXT December. So she gets a back-up GNEx for her own GNex unless I want to eat that $300 ETF. Don't think we will. She's unlimited and now has a back up phone. She should be good to go until then. Can't wait to join you guys.

n2ishun

Jul 30, 2010
Whew man.....now I know why I spend the monies.

Verizon, southern california, orange county....

Attachments

• screen_20120225_1114.jpg
    screen_20120225_1114.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,099
K

knucklesmckay

Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect but Verizon 4g lte is a marketing ploy. I had it for a year. Most web pages and streaming services will perform to maximum anywhere around 10mbps. HD video can even be streamed well at a lot less. There was no reason for me to continue to over pay my cell bill by $40 per month to get 4gLTE. Its overkill, kills battery, requires special cmda/lte carrier locked phone, that will get capped in the very near future rendering these 4g lte speeds even more expensive to use. One is paying more for something that looks good on paper but which is impractical.

Sent from my Google Galaxy Nexus

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
Just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect but Verizon 4g lte is a marketing ploy. I had it for a year. Most web pages and streaming services will perform to maximum anywhere around 10mbps. HD video can even be streamed well at a lot less. There was no reason for me to continue to over pay my cell bill by $40 per month to get 4gLTE. Its overkill, kills battery, requires special cmda/lte carrier locked phone, that will get capped in the very near future rendering these 4g lte speeds even more expensive to use. One is paying more for something that looks good on paper but which is impractical.

I have to agree with this.

Reactions: Ktracho316

mototireguy

Feb 7, 2012
San Francisco
TMobile results from San Francisco.

Mostly HSPA+ connectivity in the bay area. Download/Upload speeds range anywhere from 3Mbps/1Mbps up to 9Mbps/3Mbps depending on local network saturation.

183579095.png

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
Here's my two cents. Nexus on T-Mobile VS iPhone4 on ATT.

T-Mobile has always been faster, I got 24Mbps once with the SII. I still have a feeling ATT 3G have better building penetration, but not by much.

Attachments

• speedtest.jpg
    speedtest.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 801
Reactions: _atlien_

shev7chenko

Jun 4, 2012
El Paso

T-Mobile has always been faster, I got 24Mbps once with the SII. I still have a feeling ATT 3G have better building penetration, but not by much.

Coming from virgin mobile I would be more than happy with the 3g speeds

DOHCtor

Apr 10, 2009
Southern California
TMobile results from San Francisco.

Mostly HSPA+ connectivity in the bay area. Download/Upload speeds range anywhere from 3Mbps/1Mbps up to 9Mbps/3Mbps depending on local network saturation.

183579095.png

Thanks for sharing guys but we're comparing speed test to MVNO of these two which is Straight Talk. People have reported getting faster speeds with regular AT&T vs AT&T Straight Talk.

K

knucklesmckay

Didn't know there were so many people here on straight talk too. All the talk on the hofo forums has me paranoid about data usage but it seems like no one here has problems..

Yea its all good so far on StraightTalkAtt for me. I'll see where I am at in a couple months, but no problems yet. I have left proxy field blank, use wifi where I can, and keep an eye on data. I would just watch out streaming music/video and downloading roms. That will eat data fast. I really don't use much data at all because there is wifi everywhere I go and I don't stream or download large files anymore because I am done with rooting atm after 2 years and have about 15 albums stored locally. I imagine I could use a lot more data though as the people here on xda are.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
Is there a definitive answer as to how Google Voice behaves with the various StraightTalk options? Here's my understanding:

1) With T-Mobile, Google Voice works fine as long as people dial your Gvoice number instead of your T-Mo ST number. However, if they dial your T-Mo ST number, they do NOT get redirected to your Gvoice, so you either miss the message or have to dial in to T-Mo VM to get the message.

Is that accurate?

If it is accurate, is there any way to force calls made to your T-Mo number go to Gvoice vmail instead of T-Mo vmail? Does the method posted by adellefrank in this thread work?: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1639804

2) With AT&T, Google Voice works exactly the same as it does with any post-paid AT&T plan. Voice mail forwarding/redirecting to Gvoice number works as normal.

Is that accurate?

Thanks.

frigidazzi

Apr 21, 2011
Nexus Player
OnePlus 5
Just got st att today. Proxy blank and all that jazz. This has been pretty consistent. I have the 30 dollar TMobile plan still active on my n1 and the data is so much faster in it. Only problem with TMobile is it sucks everyone in doors around here... Is this common with other straight talk to get this slow at times? Well it get better after a few hours? Days?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339447578266.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339447578266.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 680

_atlien_

May 23, 2010
ATL shawty!

That's it right there. Also don't forget to clear the proxy field when using AT&T. Gotta say I loving Straight Talk right now here in Atlanta.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made this thread to share my speed test results so people in my area can have a better idea on which Straight Talk sim card to order if they choose to go with ST. My results are that T-Mobile ST has really fast speeds but has more dead spots and vice versa with AT&T ST. Both speedtest were tested on my Galaxy Nexus and at the same spot. I used the T-Mobile sim for 2 weeks and the speeds were very consistent, before giving it to my brother. I been on AT&T ST sim for about 4 days now, and I have yet to go above 3mbps. YouTube videos constantly buffers when viewed in HD.

Well, here are the results in Southern California (Riverside county to be exact).

Left = T-Mobile Right = AT&T
    Screenshot_2012-05-17-17-42-09%255B1%255D.png
    Screenshot_2012-05-27-13-35-43%255B1%255D.png
    As most people have found out, the Speed Test app won't work on ST/AT&T if you go through Straight Talk's proxy. But there's a way around that: the speed test located at www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/ookla.htm works with or without the proxy.

For the last week or so, I've been doing speed tests at various locations with and without the proxy field, and in virtually every case, the speed test is substantially faster with the proxy than without.

At my house, the web test typically shows about 7000 kbps with proxy, 5000 kbps without. In other locations, there's almost always a similar gap of 1000 to 2000 kbps in favor of using the proxy.

I have no idea what to make of that. Both the website and the speedtest app are supposed to be powered by Ookla, but when I use the app at home (with no proxy, obviously), it's almost always around 3000 kbps, much slower than the web test. Maybe there's some difference in the way the data is routed? Or maybe the web test is just unreliable. I don't pretend to be an expert at all on this subject.

I've mostly kept the proxy on for the last week, and I haven't noticed much difference in the actual performance of the phone. I've been able to watch Youtube videos, stream audio, and occasionally tether, and for the most part it's been fine. Occasionally, it seems to block me from streaming, but it's not like other people have reported, where they can't stream at all.

Bottom line, I think I'm going to remove the proxy because the connection may be more reliable for streaming and tethering, and because it may make it harder for them to track my data use. But I'd be curious if others get the same speed boost from using the proxy. It seems like it could be worth using the proxy if your connection is generally slow.
    It's faster because the ST proxy compresses it on the way to you, and the speed test data itself is all empty data (00000...), which is very compressible. As noted, you won't see much difference in real world use.
    tmobile, queens ny..

35jks5x.jpg
    Here's an update. End of billing period, just over 6.5GB with no throttle or service shut off. I just renewed without any problems. Internet still fast and flawless. Straight Talk is a keeper for me now.
    I did quite a lot of experimenting with ST (both operators), T-mobile and AT&T prepaid cards in San Jose, CA and around. Results are pretty consistent with what OP said.

AT&T prepaid and ST (AT&T)
    - I didn't notice any difference between the two, the speeds are pretty similar and I hardly ever see anything over 2mbps downloads. Also ping often sucks.
    - very good coverage in general, even in remote areas and surprisingly you can get at least voice even in Yosemite Valley

T-mobile ($30 plan) and ST (T-mobile)
    - again, these two seem to be on par, with speed being usually around 6-7mbps downstream and over 2mbps upstream
    - coverage often sucks if you go outside metropolitan areas and is worse even in them. And once you drop to the edge, AT&T is much faster. Don't even think about turning your phone on in Yosemite - it's good at most as hammer for tent poles.

AT&T vs. T-mobile Straight Talk
    - on AT&T I believe redirects work (don't have SIM on me now) I had calls redirected to google voice mail. No such luck with T-mobile, it behaves as T-mobile prepaid, so redirect codes will just give you network error.
    - there was some talk about ST roaming on other network. I am pretty sure T-mobile ST SIM will NOT roam on AT&T network. See above Yosemite test. I kind of hoped it would, because that way I could get best of the both worlds. Good speeds in metros and voice coverage only in rural areas. Doesn't work. As it is now, I will probably go back to AT&T based SIM because for me coverage is still more important then speed. I don't know if AT&T SIM will roam on T-mobile. I don't have any good spot to test it at.