Jellybean Information

Search This thread

akash3656

May 3, 2010
High-res contact pics do sync.
I repeat: HIGH-RES CONTACT PHOTOS SYNC SERVER-SIDE ON JB

(Confirmed by using updated hexsync to get 720x720 pics and a full wipe)

Good to hear. However other people have reported that we have to reupload the pictures as they were initially stored in low resolution.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CubicTom

Jun 30, 2012
Frankfurt
Couldn't you just push these files back to folder and reboot and have stock recovery when ota arrives then flash it protect root with ota rootkeeper then reinstall cwm recovery
/system/recovery-from-boot.p
/system/etc/install-recovery.sh

Yes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Interesting. Think I am going to do that, too.

When making CWM permanent, I just renamed the recovery-from-boot.p and kept it in the folder. Thus, I could just rename it again and OTA should install fine, right?

However, I did not do anything to the install-recovery.sh before or after I installed CWM (should I?). Just checked the folder and a file named like that is there, sized 559 Bytes and dated 01 Aug 2008, 14:00. Is this already the one I need?

Moreover, do I need any further steps of uninstalling CWM or anything when the OTA comes around? When answering this, please take my signature information into account.

Thanks very much for the support!

Cheers :beer:
CT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
Can you provide a market link?

Edit: Found it, but it claims its not compatible with my ROM version

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Does the app developer have to explicitly add the new rom version or is it just a black list? If it has to be added then aren't all non-Installed apps going to show initially as incompatible until the developer adds them whether or not they are in fact not compatible?

Last edited:

Nick_Stylz

Apr 24, 2012
Jellybean

For some reason on my Gnex running 4.1, it doesnt have the Set Mobile Data On/Off slider?? Which means that credit will just be taken off my phone when I leave Wi-Fi range. Please help

Thanks

jjc_01

Apr 25, 2009
OnePlus 7 Pro
High-res contact pics do sync.
I repeat: HIGH-RES CONTACT PHOTOS SYNC SERVER-SIDE ON JB

(Confirmed by using updated hexsync to get 720x720 pics and a full wipe)

When you say "hexsync" do you mean HaxSync? Because I have bought that app but haven't given it a try in JB. If it finalyl shows up in HD on my HD AMOLED screen I Would be so happy!

Stretlow

Jun 3, 2010
So let me get this right, if I reupload my pictures to google contacts on my pc through the gmail site, then re-sync my contacts I should have high res pictures on the phone?

CubicTom

Jun 30, 2012
Frankfurt
how do you get a better battery life.. its really bad :crying:

First of all, this is a really general question and also doesn't give us much information about what you have tried already and _how bad exactly_ it is. I shall nevertheless give it a try:

Maybe the battery needs to be recalibrated, which is a common issue after flashing a new ROM.

To do so, charge your phone to 100% without interruption, then unplug the charger and leave the phone running without recharging it until the battery is completely empty such that it turns itself off.

Repeat this procedure twice.

After that, battery statistics should again reflect your battery's full capacity.

If battery life is still bad after that, you should check under settings -> battery, if there is any particular process eating up all the power.

Also, if you want to temporarily increase your battery life above its usual level, say for outdoorsy activities, you can use an app like SetCPU to reduce the processor speed available. However, you need to be rooted to do that and the CPU settings need to be handled with care!

Apart from all this, turning off Bluetooth, NFC and WiFi whenever it isn't needed and reducing your screen's brightness can help extend your battery life. Also, if you are somewhere without any mobile signal reception, you will save heaps of capacity by entering flight mode, since the network search is quite energy intensive.

kristovaher

Jul 29, 2010
Tallinn
www.waher.net
I am not sure if this was already here in 4.0.4 (it wasn't in 4.0.1), but I am glad to see that it is possible to set phone lock timeout again. Back when I used HTC Desire I had a PIN code on my phone for casual security, but since at times I switched the screen off and soon after on again (like when in a store to look at something) I didn't want to enter the PIN all the time. So I had a time lock set for it, that it only asked for PIN if I didn't use the phone for five minutes.

This was not an option in Android 4.0. If you used PIN security then every time you turned off the screen and back on again, it asked for a PIN. Especially horrible when it timed out. It became an annoyance enough that I ended up using Slide Lock only.

Now it's possible again to set the timeout forphone lock, making sure that your phone is locked only after X amount of time. I love it! It even has an option to check if power button instantly locks or not.

CubicTom

Jun 30, 2012
Frankfurt
I am not sure if this was already here in 4.0.4 (it wasn't in 4.0.1), but I am glad to see that it is possible to set phone lock timeout again. Back when I used HTC Desire I had a PIN code on my phone for casual security, but since at times I switched the screen off and soon after on again (like when in a store to look at something) I didn't want to enter the PIN all the time. So I had a time lock set for it, that it only asked for PIN if I didn't use the phone for five minutes.

This was not an option in Android 4.0. If you used PIN security then every time you turned off the screen and back on again, it asked for a PIN. Especially horrible when it timed out. It became an annoyance enough that I ended up using Slide Lock only.

Now it's possible again to set the timeout forphone lock, making sure that your phone is locked only after X amount of time. I love it! It even has an option to check if power button instantly locks or not.

As far as I remember, this has also been a feature in 4.0.4 already.

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
[snip]

When making CWM permanent, I just renamed the recovery-from-boot.p and kept it in the folder. Thus, I could just rename it again and OTA should install fine, right?
Right.
However, I did not do anything to the install-recovery.sh before or after I installed CWM (should I?).
There are two files place on your system (by OTA updates) that cause the recovery partition to be re-flashed on every re-boot. install-recovery.sh is the script that flashes recovery-from-boot.p to your recovery partition. Deleting or renaming one or both will prevent this from happening.
Moreover, do I need any further steps of uninstalling CWM or anything when the OTA comes around? When answering this, please take my signature information into account.
No. (Although I have seen people having issues with Stericson's busybox installed.)

Reactions: CubicTom

CubicTom

Jun 30, 2012
Frankfurt
Thanks efrant, for your useful reply which helped extend my understanding!
[Snip]
I have seen people having issues with Stericson's busybox installed.
Can you recommend any other busybox version which is not expected to cause such problems?

Cheers
CT

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Thanks efrant, for your useful reply which helped extend my understanding!

Can you recommend any other busybox version which is not expected to cause such problems?

Cheers
CT

I use Busybox Installer, and I have it install the latest version of busybox in /system//xbin

Reactions: CubicTom

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone! A Jellybean OTA has been released for Google I/O, so in order to keep things organized all new discussions about it will be redirected here. Please keep in mind that this is a developer preview, as such it will likely have bugs and you must root in order to install it. If you don't wish to root you'll need to wait for Google or Samsung to release an OTA for your device.

If you have anything you feel should be linked here feel free to shoot me a PM with it.

Cheers!

Information & Guides:
    Information about JellyBean
    Introducing Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) preview platform, and more

Android 4.1 for Developers
    Differences between 4.0.4 and 4.1
    Screenshot Gallary + Change List
    [HOW-TO] Install official JRN84D (Jelly Bean 4.1) on your GSM Galaxy Nexus
    Jelly Bean Flash Update 11.1.115.12

Jelly Bean related Guides
    How to regain root after updating to 4.1

Firmware & ROMs:
    GSM
    [ROM][CWM] Jellybean 4.1 JRN84D Stock, Rooted, Busybox, Deodexed + New Radio!
    Direct Link for takju IMM30D to JRN84D OTA
    Torrent link for OTA
    New Radio XXLF1
    [REF] [BOOTLOADER] Bootloader Collection - Look for PRIMELC03

Toro
    [ROM]Team Liquid Vicious-Toro-JellyBean Fully 100% Fucntional Deodex

Toro+
    [ACS][ROM] Jelly Bean R U Jelling official thread - Shabby Penguin/DreamsForgotten

Other Useful Guides
    [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Convert to latest yakju/takju/mysid build / Return to stock
    Jellybean OTA released!

Gallary : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aqvteoek9k8ewwq/yzKZD-V6vJ

Some small changes that were not announced:

• THE BAD: Navigation is still Gingerbread looking. Background gradients are still pixelated. Most importantly, NO PINCH TO ZOOM IN GMAIL! WTF Google?
    • The multitasking drawer loads faster when you press the button, but it makes you wait on the dimmed screen while it load the app screenshots. It gives the illusion of being faster.
    • Different animation based on how you switch to an app (ICS had only one)
    • Hotword Detection: launch voice search when you say "Google" (when you are running google now)
    • Jelly bean easter egg
    • New Developer options:
      SD card privacy protection (won't come into effect before the next major release)
      Animator duration scale (the window and transition animation options are still there)
      Disable HW overlay (not sure what this one is)
      etc
    • In contacts, there is a "Auto-sync app data" option that I think wasn't there before.
    • Messaging app widget!
    • New Contacts icon
    • New share action and intent picker pop out (big icons instead of a list)
    • Default font seems to be a little thinner than ICS Roboto in some places
    • NOTIFICATIONS CAN BE DISABLED. This one is a godsend. You can long press on notifications to get the info of the sender app (useful for detecting spam apps)
    • When keyboard is active, the back button turns into a downward arrow (just like tablet ICS).
    • WPS PIN setup for Wifi
    • Wifi-direct has more options (like CM9)
    • "Add-on dictionaries" : it's empty now until 3rd party keyboards leverage the new API. (I think you would be able to get dictionaries from play store in the future)
    • Kernel is based off 3.0.31 (ICS was 3.0.8)
    • Google play music has been updated (Nexus Q settings link, better interface, etc)
    • Keyboard shortcuts (example: brb expands to "be right back"). Catching up to Apple much Google?
    • NO ROOT RESTRICTION ON GOOGLE PLAY MOVIES!. I wonder how they pulled this off without compromising DRM.
    • SAFE BOOT: long press on "Power off" (in the menu that shows up when you long press power button) to get into this mode. Only system apps will be loaded (should come in handy when dealing with rogue apps)
    • Screen seems to be better calibrated. The colours are more neutral and less yellow.
    Jellybean OTA released!

root

how i did it

ok you need to have clockworkmod recovery installed...
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

(insecure boot.img)
    unzip boot.img.zip, boot to bootloader and
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img

or flash JRN84D-insecure-boot.zip from recovery

-put the CWM-SuperSU-v0.92-mod.zip on your sd and flash

done. :good:

if you have problems...
    flash Koush's Jellybean repack (IMM76I OR IMM30D) http://d-h.st/Gkh

If recovery isn't sticking for you, delete recovery-from-boot.p in /system

...this is chainfire's super su

- download Koush's Jellybean repack (http://d-h.st/Gkh)
    - download SuperSU from the 2nd post or from its thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053)
    - reboot into recovery
    - create a backup just in case
    - wipe system / data / cache
    - flash Koush's Jellybean repack
    - flash SuperSU
    - reboot
    - you're now in a rooted Jelly Bean, but you'll lose your custom recovery
    - using Root Explorer or similar apps, delete /etc/install-recovery.sh
    - re-flash your favorite custom recovery (CWM or TWRP), this time it will stick

:silly:
    Some interesting notes about the Developer Options in 4.1:

• Animator Duration Scale - This is a new setting and this affects automatic animations in Android, such as swipe speeds when you swipe something away from Recent Apps (it affects the speed of which the list gets re-ordered). Also note that this setting seems to require a restart to be in effect.
    • Disable HW Overlays - I think that this setting is Project Butter. This should be the hardware vSync/TripleBuffer overlay. It is recommended to not disable this, unless for debugging.
    • Force GPU Rendering - This was already in 4.0, but was very buggy in 4.0 since a lot of apps were not compatible with it. It seems to be much better now because of HW overlays (that is, the benefit of GPU Rendering in apps is much better thanks to HW Overlays), but there are still bugs with some apps (like Androidify).

What makes this last Force GPU Rendering setting really awesome is that it enhances most WebViews much more in combination with HW Overlays, than before. This means that apps that have UI built with WebView are much faster with this setting on, if they haven't used it internally. But it is still recommended not to turn it on and let app developers to test it out first and support it out of the box.