FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MHL to HDMI problem resolved

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By internot, Junior Member on 24th January 2012, 06:36 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Since I couldn't find any solution to my problem anywhere, I thought I'd post my solution here in case someone encounters the same or similar problems.

First, the problem: When my Galaxy Nexus is connected to my TV, using the samsung mhl-to-hdmi adapter, it loses connection at times. These problems get worse when the battery is low. It seems like the charger cannot support both the HDMI and the phone at the same time.

Resolution: My TV happens to be located in an area of my appartment with particularly bad reception. It appeared to me as if the disconnects happened whenever the phone was searching for a network. When the phone is in airplane mode the disconnects no longer occur, even if wifi is active. I haven't yet checked if it is enough to just switch off 3G, but it works and I'm very happy with it.
  1. Activate airplane mode in Settings > Wireless & Networks
  2. If you wan't to have wifi, just turn it back on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to internot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift internot Ad-Free
26th January 2012, 08:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 64

Donate to Me
More
I will have to test this theory
26th January 2012, 09:02 PM |#3  
Flag Vandling, PA
Thanks Meter: 1,138

More
I have read that with the MHL adapter it works much much better to have your phone charging at the same time.
26th January 2012, 09:37 PM |#4  
Flag Camarillo, CA
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandbehold

I have read that with the MHL adapter it works much much better to have your phone charging at the same time.

The MHL adapter is supposed to charge your phone through HDMI. Not sure what you're trying to say here.
13th February 2012, 03:40 PM |#5  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Thumbs up Simply Awsome Help
Quote:
Originally Posted by internot

Since I couldn't find any solution to my problem anywhere, I thought I'd post my solution here in case someone encounters the same or similar problems.

First, the problem: When my Galaxy Nexus is connected to my TV, using the samsung mhl-to-hdmi adapter, it loses connection at times. These problems get worse when the battery is low. It seems like the charger cannot support both the HDMI and the phone at the same time.

Resolution: My TV happens to be located in an area of my appartment with particularly bad reception. It appeared to me as if the disconnects happened whenever the phone was searching for a network. When the phone is in airplane mode the disconnects no longer occur, even if wifi is active. I haven't yet checked if it is enough to just switch off 3G, but it works and I'm very happy with it.

1. Activate airplane mode in Settings > Wireless & Networks
  2. If you wan't to have wifi, just turn it back on.

A Million thanks to you dude. You made my day. I would have definitely given you one strong hug if you were anywhere near me.

I bought a brand new Samsung MHL and a High Speed HDMI two days back, only to find frequent disconnection and white noise. Happened every few minutes. Tried everything and was so freakin sad that I can't tell. Searched thoughout to find a solution. No go. Neither XDA nor google had the answer.

And then finally stumbled upon this thread.

And its exactly what was happening to my galaxy SII. I was in a place of low reception where 3G strength was bad. Never thought of this to be a problem.

But finally I read, I followed, I implemented and there I am.

Extremely satisfied with my purchase and my SII. It was back up and roaring on the big screen clutter-less now.

Thanks again dude!!!

Just one thing. What do you think is the relation between the HDMI output and network strength?? Is it supposed to happen or is it a fault(H/W or S/W) ?
13th February 2012, 04:14 PM |#6  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 430

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purebishop

The MHL adapter is supposed to charge your phone through HDMI. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

MHL adapters include a side port for charging your phone. When your phone is displaying itself through HDMI it drains battery faster than this 'HDMI charging'. If your MHL adapter doesn't include this, I suggest buying a new one. $7 on eBay.
13th February 2012, 05:23 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandbehold

I believe that for most (all?) MHL->HDMI adapters, you HAVE to plug it in.

In MHL mode, the phone is set up so that it is able to receive power (charge). The MHL->HDMI adapter needs power to run. Since it can't get power from the nexus (because the nexus is set up to receive power, not provide it), it needs to be plugged in via the side micro-usb port. So far, all the adapters I've seen/heard of are this way.

Hypothetically, I suppose that the MHL->HDMI adapter could be battery-powered or have a different plug to provide power - or it might only power itself and not the phone. I've never seen one like that, though.
13th February 2012, 08:07 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by purebishop

I believe you are mistaken. First off, the maximum power capable of being supplied over HDMI is 50mA - well below the charging requirements for the Nexus. Secondly, the device you're connecting the Nexus to (TV/Monitor) is a sink device which does NOT provide power (unless MHL compliant?) to the source (Nexus). Thus, most (all?) MHL adapters provide the option of connecting an external power supply to charge the device.
13th February 2012, 08:37 PM |#9  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 65

More
To the OP, thanks for this info! My friend had issues with his and this could very much be the issue, the low signal is causing too much power draw for him.

Since I live in an area with very strong signal, that would explain why I never saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoggon

I believe you are mistaken. First off, the maximum power capable of being supplied over HDMI is 50mA - well below the charging requirements for the Nexus. Secondly, the device you're connecting the Nexus to (TV/Monitor) is a sink device which does NOT provide power (unless MHL compliant?) to the source (Nexus). Thus, most (all?) MHL adapters provide the option of connecting an external power supply to charge the device.

I wouldn't call the micro-USB portion of a MHL adapter an option, more a requirement.
13th February 2012, 09:08 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight

I wouldn't call the micro-USB portion of a MHL adapter an option, more a requirement.

Ah, yes - good point.
23rd February 2012, 12:17 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 746

More
I just got a brand new MHL adapter and cant get it to work at all. Beginning to think I got a DOA one.

I am going to try your solution to see if it helps, but I have good reception in my house.

When I connect mine, with power attached to the adapter, I get nothing at all on my TV, and the phone does nothing either. What could be wrong?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)