FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Overnight charging = phone very hot + won't wake up

173 posts
Thanks Meter: 51

By gambiting, Senior Member on 24th November 2011, 09:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi there! I had this problem with my Nexus twice now, that's why I'm bothering you.

Long story short - I plugged my phone to charge in the evening, woke up in the morning to find that the phone is VERY hot(area around the camera on the back) and switched off, and won't turn on. After doing a battery pull the phone switched on, the battery was full and the temperature was at 46C. It happened to me on the Monday night but I thought it is just something silly, but it happened to me today again. I was not using any hardware intensive application before I went to bed, just writing emails with my GF.
Any ideas?

24th November 2011, 09:19 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 111

More
ive left mine on overnight every night since saturday and its not overheating
24th November 2011, 09:23 AM |#3  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Leave it in a chocolate tin to keep it cold, with ice below it, charge it in the morning and see if its a app

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
24th November 2011, 09:25 AM |#4  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,707

More
I'd do a factory reset and see if it does the same after another night of charging with no apps on it.

If it does the same, the phones probably defective.
24th November 2011, 09:32 AM |#5  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 16,154

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintaeroboy

Leave it in a chocolate tin to keep it cold, with ice below it, charge it in the morning and see if its a app

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

A chocolate tin with ice under it?? REALLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambiting

Hi there! I had this problem with my Nexus twice now, that's why I'm bothering you.

Long story short - I plugged my phone to charge in the evening, wake up in the morning to find that the phone is VERY hot(area around the camera on the back) and switched off, and won't turn on. After doing a battery pull the phone switched on, the battery was full and the temperature was at 46C. It happened to me on the Monday night but I thought it is just something silly, but it happened to me today again. I was not using any hardware intensive application before I went to bed, just writing emails with my GF.
Any ideas?

Have you modded the phone since you got it? Like rooting or installing any mods.

How many apps have you installed on it? Any that may keep running in the background?

If it does it again then I would advise going into Settings, Backup & Reset and restore the phone to factory settings. Then put the phone back on charge for about 8 hours and sede if the temperature goes up again. As mentioned it may just be an app thats making the phone go hot but if it goes hot after a factory reset then you will need to send it back for replacement.

Mark.
24th November 2011, 09:34 AM |#6  
Flag Michigan - Thumb
Thanks Meter: 170

Donate to Me
More
The first thing to go from heat damage is the battery. 50 degrees celcius and up is in the battery killing temperature range.

As long as it's under warranty I guess do what you want. But I'd highly recommend setting up an app like setcpu to force a lower clock speed when temp>44 celcius, just to be safe. No sense in killing a battery while trying to fix the problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App
24th November 2011, 09:36 AM |#7  
Flag Ely
Thanks Meter: 40

Donate to Me
More
I leave mine on charge overnight, and it doesn't do this... so I'd agree with others in that it's either a rogue app or a duff handset.
24th November 2011, 09:37 AM |#8  
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Didn't they say that one of the CyanogenMod devs was working with Samsung on the Nexus? Maybe he implemented "sleep of death" as a feature

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
24th November 2011, 09:51 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
The phone is not rooted, it's not running any mods. The only two applications that run constantly in the background are the DoubleTwist AirSync module and Llama profile manager(and the default weather+news widget). As both have not been tested with Android 4.0 it may be it. Is there any good app to display the current CPU usage by a process? Just like "top" in the console.
24th November 2011, 09:56 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Don't know about it being hot but mine was on charge last night and died.Making me 2 hours late for work . Pulled the battery out and put back in and its fully charged ????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App
24th November 2011, 10:05 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cja1972

Don't know about it being hot but mine was on charge last night and died.Making me 2 hours late for work . Pulled the battery out and put back in and its fully charged ????

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium App

That's pretty much the same thing that happened to me. Except that being hot explains the issue at least partially,as the phone will switch off when overheating.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)