FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs -- Latest: JWR66Y / 4.3

11,465 posts
Thanks Meter: 11,430

By efrant, Developers Relations / Senior Moderator on 30th December 2011, 03:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st May 2012, 04:12 AM |#501  
OP Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalakhtar

Or you can wait for the update to arrive for your build. Unfortunately, there's no information on when an update for your build will arrive. It could arrive at any time, ranging from tomorrow to 6 months from now.

If you're impatient, you can swap to Yakju following Efrant's link above, but that way, you'll lose all data, since I guess you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet.

Since he's running 4.0.2, he could always root, install Titanium Backup, and use that to backup all his apps and settings. Or he could use this.

21st May 2012, 11:56 AM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

If you want 4.0.4 now, you have no choice by to flash to yakju or takju. See here for instructions.

I have the same build ICL53F.I9250XWKL2 and was surprised that there's no 4.0.4 OTA yet.
How can one check that such a build doesn't exist yet ? Not that I'm questioning your statement.. I'm just curious as where this information can be found.

My baseband version is I9250XXKK6

On android's developer website ( https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images ) I can download a 4.0.4 factory image for a GSM Nexus. Would flashing that brick my phone ? Does it install a different baseband ? Does that matter ?

I'm a bit confused at all this.. sorry for the n00bness
21st May 2012, 12:40 PM |#503  
Flag Statesville
Thanks Meter: 28

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalkr

I have the same build ICL53F.I9250XWKL2 and was surprised that there's no 4.0.4 OTA yet.
How can one check that such a build doesn't exist yet ? Not that I'm questioning your statement.. I'm just curious as where this information can be found.

On android's developer website ( https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images ) I can download a 4.0.4 factory image for a GSM Nexus. Would flashing that brick my phone ? Does it install a different baseband ? Does that matter ?

I'm a bit confused at all this.. sorry for the n00bness

It won't brick your phone. Just make sure to follow the instructions. It will install a different baseband and it could matter. There appear to be some localized modifications by Samsung for non yakju builds. If anything, boot into CWM, do a nandroid, and copy it to your computer just so you can preserve the build that came on your phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to bfroehlich For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bfroehlich Ad-Free
21st May 2012, 12:47 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
cool man thanks! I already have a NAND backup of the stock phone... first thing I did Have it for some 3-4 days

I'm upgrading from a Nexus S... it might have suffered from the same issue however I don't really know now because at some point I flashed the full 4.0.4 build for the Nexus S and it works still so I guess there won't be a problem with the Galaxy Nexus. In any case as you said, the NAND backup should save me if anything goes wrong!
21st May 2012, 01:10 PM |#505  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

How can one check that such a build doesn't exist yet ?

There is no way to check.
Quote:

Not that I'm questioning your statement.. I'm just curious as where this information can be found.

The only information we has is what is posted by users who receive the update. No one has reported receiving the update except users on yakju, takju, mysid, and yakjuzs.
Quote:

On android's developer website ( https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images ) I can download a 4.0.4 factory image for a GSM Nexus. Would flashing that brick my phone ?

As bfroehlich said, it won't brick your phone. It works perfectly fine... actually even better.
Quote:

Does it install a different baseband?

If you follow the instructions in my post, you will see the step where you can install a different radio. Do it, or don't. Your choice.
Quote:

Does that matter ?

Some people have reported varying performance with different radios (see the stickied radio thread in the general section). I have not noticed any difference in the six or so radios that I've tried.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
29th May 2012, 10:20 PM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I tried method 3a and it didn't work. Any ideas where I went wrong? When I boot into recovery mode, it just has a little android with a red triangle with an exclamation point in it. Doesn't proceed anywhere from there.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus stock 4.0.2 ICL53F
29th May 2012, 10:29 PM |#507  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Prime Credit Peggy

I tried method 3a and it didn't work. Any ideas where I went wrong? When I boot into recovery mode, it just has a little android with a red triangle with an exclamation point in it. Doesn't proceed anywhere from there.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus stock 4.0.2 ICL53F

That is the stock recovery screen. To get to the menu, push the power and volume buttons. You may have to do it repeatedly, as it is a little finicky.
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift efrant Ad-Free
29th May 2012, 10:40 PM |#508  

More
Quote:

That is the stock recovery screen. To get to the menu, push the power and volume buttons. You may have to do it repeatedly, as it is a little finicky.

Huh... holding the volume up and tapping power isn't really doing anything. Tried volume down as well. Tried tapping volume buttons. Tried holding down power with volume up held down, that just rebooted me.

I'm so close!!
29th May 2012, 10:42 PM |#509  
Flag Montreal

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Prime Credit Peggy

Huh... holding the volume up and tapping power isn't really doing anything. Tried volume down as well. Tried tapping volume buttons. Tried holding down power with volume up held down, that just rebooted me.

I'm so close!!

Like I said, it is VERY finicky. Try pushing volume up and power repeatedly, without holding them down.
29th May 2012, 10:44 PM |#510  
Toronto, Ontario, Canada/Hampton, Virginia, USA
Thanks Meter: 855

More
Quote:

Like I said, it is VERY finicky. Try pushing volume up and power repeatedly, without holding them down.

You might want to try removing the batter, holding the volume up and power when you slip it back in. That has worked for me in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcsww For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcsww Ad-Free
29th May 2012, 10:59 PM |#511  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsww

You might want to try removing the batter, holding the volume up and power when you slip it back in. That has worked for me in the past.

Did this,
Quote:

and this, and we have great success!

Thank you all so much. I was on a tester Verizon phone in January that had 4.0.4 and when I got my permanent one it was 4.0.2 and it was torture having to downgrade (my area has tons of 4g-3g hand offs making for bad battery on 4.0.2). Now that I'm at full strength again, I feel so much more powerful.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google, link, official, ota, update

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)