Get rid of CRT screen off animation in 4.2

Search This thread

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
For some reason the CRT animation always has felt slow as sin, so I usually keep it off. Changing animation settings in developer options no longer works for some reason.

Workaround:

Put debug.sf.electron_frames=1 in either local.prop or build.prop.

echo "debug.sf.electron_frames=1" > local.prop

Remove this to re-enable. Default is 24 frames.

Requires reboot.

Steps:
Root required to do this. This assumes that you have no local.prop. If you do, you probably don't need this guide.

1) Get into adb shell
2) su
3) cd /data/
4) echo "debug.sf.electron_frames=1" > local.prop
5) reboot

Last edited:

SpencerRelly

Jan 2, 2012
Denver
For some reason the CRT animation always has felt slow as sin, so I usually keep it off. Changing animation settings in developer options no longer works for some reason.

Workaround:

Requires reboot.

Thanks for making this post. I'm a little confused though. Mostly by the "echo" portion. Mind explaining it in different terms?

Big ZD

Oct 6, 2011

Workaround:

Requires reboot.

Just curious... What is CRT animation?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

b1337

Jan 21, 2010
hmm didnt work for me on bigxie's android 4.2 rooted busybox odexed

xaueious

Dec 17, 2009
Toronto
The key is to have the line in one of your props. Should work on all Android 4.2 AOSP builds. If it didn't work, Run 'getprop' from shell to see if the setting worked. If it didn't, you might have another script overriding it.

copkay

Jul 29, 2010
Also works on 4.1 but be careful how high you set it, hehe. I set mine to 72 and it worked, but wouldn't unlock again afterwards.

J

jakobo

Workaround:

Put

Requires reboot.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California

Workaround:

Requires reboot.

Steps:
Root required to do this. This assumes that you have no local.prop. If you do, you probably don't need this guide.

1) Get into adb shell
2) su
3) cd /data/
5) reboot

THANK YOU!!!

I hate that now that effect took about 2 seconds to actually start and it was really lagging...this fixed that :)

langhaardack

Feb 20, 2012
Ulm
no matter which prop file i put that in, crt off stays on, and i cant handle this! its so ugly i just wanna throw my phone away.. D:

ian760105

Nov 29, 2012
The key is to have the line in one of your props. Should work on all Android 4.2 AOSP builds. If it didn't work, Run 'getprop' from shell to see if the setting worked. If it didn't, you might have another script overriding it.

I tried 'setprop debug.sf.electron_frames 1', and I was able to get [debug.sf.electron_frames]: [1] from 'getprop'. But, it is still not working.... help?

Update: I even try the app "build.prop editor" and manually create debug.sf.electron_frames (value:1), and it is still not working. I go to /system/build.prop, and yes debug.sf.electron_frames=1 is there. My phone is rooted, newly flash with stock 4.2 on Gnexus. It wouldn't because I have BusyBox installed, right?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Workaround:

Requires reboot.

Steps:

1) Get into adb shell
    2) su
    3) cd /data/
    5) reboot
    Just curious... What is CRT animation?

It's that white line that 'folds' down into the center before disappearing when turning off the display.
    Replicates what you used to see when turning off a CRT monitor/TV.

Personally I'm a fan.
    Turning off all animations in developer options to disable CRT still works for me. The only difference in 4.2 and 4.2.1 from previous versions is that I have to reboot for the changes to take effect. Maybe it's ROM dependent? I'm currently running the latest mmuzzy. It also disables the fly in/fly out animation for the app drawer, but that was too slow as well.
    I really hate this animation and today I decided to sit down hack the code itself using apktool. I wrote up what I did here: http://cjix.info/blog/misc/disabling-screen-off-animation-in-android/

It's probably overkill, but hey it works well and applying it is relatively easy. The bottom of the post has a link to a services.jar I built from CM10.1 M1 for my Galaxy Nexus (http://www.mediafire.com/?16dhrvk7esr77br) and you can use adb or ES File Explorer or whatever to simply replace /system/framework/services.jar on your phone. Reboot is required and it will go through the "Android is upgrading" thing.
    I hate the CRT off also. Can you make this flashable? :D

I've never made a flashable zip before, but it was surprisingly easy :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?imictz41yl6865d

If you're not running CM10.1 M1, DO NOT FLASH THIS. Instead send me your /system/framework/services.jar and I can help you out, or you can follow the instructions on my blog post (http://cjix.info/blog/misc/disabling-screen-off-animation-in-android/) if you want to do it yourself.