FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

2018 Sailfish OS development MEGA THREAD!

398 posts
Thanks Meter: 100

Post Reply Email Thread
I recently made an initial 2.2 build for maguro. it's unusable at the moment, it boots up, it has sound I think, hooray!
THIS IS NOT AT ALL DAILY DRIVER READY!!!!
Seriously, the only reason I am posting this is to prove that development is happening and to hopefully get some devs in on the action.

Update tab: So this will be the official bit of the OP where I post updates on what is going on.
April 10th 2019: DEVELOPMENT IS DEAD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! - Sorry guys, ofono issues just proved really painful to debug, but not all hope is lost! I took a peak at the M for crespo work by dmitrygr and his RIL fixes MAY apply here. The issue (if I remember from a year ago) is that ofono and RILD are not communicating properly and RILD just hangs and aborts over and over. If you read dmitrygr's RIL section you'll notice that the Nexus S had this same issue! the Nexus S had RIL version 6 and sadly so does the Galaxy Nexus. I'll be investigating this and may pick up another Galaxy Nexus to play with when I get the chance. For now though, development is dead and my github is empty since I never felt the need to upload sources and my old thinkpad HDD finally died. If you are interested in picking this up please PM me or go right ahead, 2.2 booted on the first go and the other issues were pretty easy to fix. 3.0 might even iron some of this out.

Once we get a build with working modem I am going to make a proper thread Android Development.
THIS IS NOT ANDROID IT IS SAILFISH OS! Sailfish OS is linux based if I remember correctly, so android app support is non-existant (unless someone illegitimately gets aliendalvik working on here or sfdroid/andbox)

Anyway here are the links:
Sailfish OS 2.2.0.29 milestone0 image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXy...ew?usp=sharing
CM11 XNG3C base: https://web.archive.org/web/20161224...1L8-maguro.zip
Flash like any other sfos image:
Flash CM11 base
Flash Sailfish OS image
reboot
profit.

What doesn't work:
Camera is broken, but this is due to a lack of gstreamer being built
Bluetooth is broken
ofono is broken meaning zero sim functionality, so basically this phone is an iPod at the moment.
UI is jittery sometiemes due to usage of fbdev over hwcomposer
Jolla account takes a while to add, just keep hitting "Please Wait" and it should eventually do it.
No lockscreen due to ofono issues, yes, broken ofono means no lockscreen. Instead it shows a loading circle, just swipe from the side as usual.
Sensors are broken because I forgot to add the hw.ini file to this build, this is minor and will be added in the next build.
Recording audio through the device mic's doesn't work BUT IT DOES THROUGH HEADPHONES!
Video - Gstreamer works meaing mp3's and audio in youtube work, but strangely no video.

What Works/has been tested:
WiFi works completely!
Audio is completely fixed and working!
Graphics/GUI!
Touch Screen!

For those interested in the old builds by beidl and sadianadmin: https://pastebin.com/cka5uRAy
Hopefully by the time that link expires the 2.x builds are of similar or better quality.

Changelog up to this point:
initial1 - intial build
initial2 - changed pixel ratio to 1.25 so it fit the display better
milestone0 - WiFi works now! Audio is completely working now! RILD is running but ofono is being a jerk, added ofono-hack courtesy of beidl.

PRIVATE BUILDS:
initial3 - disabled paranoid network, added a multitude of new configs, resolved namespace errors which should fix a handful of sytemd warnings in the logs REGRESSION: WiFi is broken now
intial4 - re-enabled paranoid network, disabled a few WLAN related config changes, added WiFi modules from onyx - haven't tested yet, hopefully WiFi works again.
initial5 - re-disabled paranoid network, WiFi now works. REGRESSION - Lockscreen is broken due to RILD patch and udev changes. It's either working radio or working Lockscreen. take your pick.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxyninja66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Galaxyninja66 Ad-Free
16th June 2018, 07:53 PM |#2  
I am interested. I just recently discovered that sailfish was available for this phone, so I haven't had a chance to mess with it. A newer ROM would definitely be encouraging.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
17th June 2018, 06:05 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Darwin

More
I have narrowed down the RILD issues to the RIL daemon not starting on the android side.
ofono seems to be working well, which is great!
as for WiFi I will be shooting for this next but it should just require a module.

DO NOT BE FOOLED THE RILD SOCKET IS NOT IN /dev/socket/netd!!!! rild missing from that folder is normal, read on!

OKAY! So, the socket /dev/socket/rild is actually spawned by /system/bin/rild itself, but since the daemon won't run, this is never spawned, thus ofono doesn't know what the **** to do, I just need to figure out how to get the rild daemon started.

doubt tip: if you want to check if RILD is running run ps ax | grep ril and ps ax | grep rild
19th June 2018, 01:36 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Darwin

More
@beidl - I saw you were active in the IRC 20 hours ago, get your a** on here and share your old dirty hacks! :P (particularly for RILD, see the tuesday mer logs for more info)

@Samuelgames - hit me up man come on, we can tackle multiple things at once with more people on this
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)