FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Tutorial] Installing adb/fastboot drivers in Windows 8

1,327 posts
Thanks Meter: 982

By Nburnes, Senior Member on 9th November 2012, 10:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So after going through this headache of not being able to fastboot either of my Nexus devices (GNex and N7) I have found the solution to my problems and I am sharing it with you guys.

Windows 8 forces drivers to be digitally signed and checks that signature with it's known driver signatures at home. This is a problem if you are trying to install and use something like fastboot/adb which Redmond may not have drivers for.

I was personally trying to install this as I did before on Windows 7: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1379875 and in order to install this we need to "Disable driver signature enforcement"

Steps to be taken:

1.) Bring up Charms by mousing over to the right of the screen
2.) Go to Settings
3.) Change PC Settings
4.) General
5.) Scroll down to Advanced Startup > Restart Now
6.) Trouble shoot
7.) Advanced options
8.) Windows startup options
9.) Restart
10.) Choose F7 (I believe) or click on "Disable driver signature enforcement"
11.) Reboot

Install the relevant driver (In my case Universal driver) under Device Management

This allowed me to install the Universal driver for both my Nexus devices. Anyway, hope it helps ya'll.

(Mods if posted before feel free to delete/merge/whatever.)
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Nburnes For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nburnes Ad-Free

9th November 2012, 11:46 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,568

More
Or avoid all that by installing drivers from here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...CH-I515MSAVZW#

Then you can install the N7 ones as well.

http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...xus+7&p=28&s=2

That way you don't have to deal with a Test Mode watermark and have the latest drivers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adrynalyne Ad-Free
11th November 2012, 05:36 PM |#3  
Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11,414

Donate to Me
More
Already posted in the "101" sticky over a week ago.
11th November 2012, 05:58 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,568

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

Already posted in the "101" sticky over a week ago.

efrant, if you use the official drivers and not ones that someone patched together, there is no need for that step.
11th November 2012, 07:51 PM |#5  
Developers Relations / Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 11,414

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

efrant, if you use the official drivers and not ones that someone patched together, there is no need for that step.

Yup, if you use the Verizon_Wireless_I515_Galaxy_Nexus_USB_Driver_v1.4 .6.0.exe from Samsung's website, I believe it is signed, so it probably would work.

The issue was that some users (myself included), had problems installing the driver using Samsung's .exe package. 1wayjonny's repack worked flawlessly, and doesn't install anything else...
15th November 2012, 08:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I am able to isntall just fine BUT i cannot get the drivers to work and its ****ing iritating. I just get something like This unit cannot start (error 10), A request for the USB device descriptor failed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alucardi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alucardi Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 09:30 AM |#7  
Flag Pune- India
Thanks Meter: 503

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nburnes

So after going through this headache of not being able to fastboot either of my Nexus devices (GNex and N7) I have found the solution to my problems and I am sharing it with you guys.

Windows 8 forces drivers to be digitally signed and checks that signature with it's known driver signatures at home. This is a problem if you are trying to install and use something like fastboot/adb which Redmond may not have drivers for.

I was personally trying to install this as I did before on Windows 7: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1379875 and in order to install this we need to "Disable driver signature enforcement"

Steps to be taken:

1.) Bring up Charms by mousing over to the right of the screen
2.) Go to Settings
3.) Change PC Settings
4.) General
5.) Scroll down to Advanced Startup > Restart Now
6.) Trouble shoot
7.) Advanced options
8.) Windows startup options
9.) Restart
10.) Choose F7 (I believe) or click on "Disable driver signature enforcement"
11.) Reboot

Install the relevant driver (In my case Universal driver) under Device Management

This allowed me to install the Universal driver for both my Nexus devices. Anyway, hope it helps ya'll.

(Mods if posted before feel free to delete/merge/whatever.)

Thanks,, Solved the problem...
21st December 2012, 05:25 PM |#8  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 96

More
thanks!!!
29th December 2012, 05:00 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I tried this method and another method. I still can't get the drivers to work correctly. I installed the drivers and now when i connect my phone it is now coming up on device manager as "Andriod bootloader interface" I have a sony xperia S and after about 5 seconds it reboots. Any thoughts?
29th December 2012, 07:21 PM |#10  
Pittsburgh, PA.
Thanks Meter: 420

More
when i upgraded to windows 8, all i did was plug my phone in, go into device manager and find my phone and uninstall drivers since it wouldn't let me use fastboot even though it recognized my phone. i then installed pdanet and let it install the drivers and rebooted and it worked great.
29th December 2012, 07:45 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1.8matt

when i upgraded to windows 8, all i did was plug my phone in, go into device manager and find my phone and uninstall drivers since it wouldn't let me use fastboot even though it recognized my phone. i then installed pdanet and let it install the drivers and rebooted and it worked great.

I looked up pdanet and its a program to tether my phone. Why would that help with fastboot?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)