[GNEX TOOLKIT V11.1.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash + MORE [GSM]

12,328 posts
Thanks Meter: 16,156

By mskip, Retired Senior Moderator on 15th December 2011, 12:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2012, 10:54 AM |#521  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskip

To perform a NANDROID backup via cwm your phone needs to be rooted first. If you are unlocked then you can just select the root option and once its complete you can then boot into cwm and do your backup.

Your NANDROID will of course backup your root files but 'I think' if you restored the image and then locked your bootloader and unlocked it again (thus doing a full wipe) it may unroot the phone in the process but I have never tried it.

Mark.

Hey mate,
What is the difference between Nandroid and Titanium backup?

Thanks,
M
27th January 2012, 11:10 AM |#522  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.m.moran

Hey mate,
What is the difference between Nandroid and Titanium backup?

Thanks,
M

A NANDROID will backup the whole system including boot, system, data and recovery partitions so you can restore a complete rom and all data and settings.

I havent checked out all parts of Titanium Backup but mainly its used to backup apps and associated user data. These could be restored AFTER a full wipe and a new Rom had been flashed on your phone.

The other option now which google added into the new adb command list is the adb backup which is in the ToolKit and can do the same job as Titanium Backup but will store the data on your PC rather than on the phone (where it takes up space and could be deleted).

Mark.
27th January 2012, 11:13 AM |#523  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:

That is an img file which needs to be flashed directly via fastboot and not cwm.

You need to put the file in the 'put_img_files_to_flash_here' folder and then select option12 to FLASH the image to the BOOT partition.

Of course that is really for developers and there are much newer and more stable kernels such as franco's.

Mark.

Very clear, i got it
Thanks Mark
27th January 2012, 12:03 PM |#524  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:

A NANDROID will backup the whole system including boot, system, data and recovery partitions so you can restore a complete rom and all data and settings.

I havent checked out all parts of Titanium Backup but mainly its used to backup apps and associated user data. These could be restored AFTER a full wipe and a new Rom had been flashed on your phone.

The other option now which google added into the new adb command list is the adb backup which is in the ToolKit and can do the same job as Titanium Backup but will store the data on your PC rather than on the phone (where it takes up space and could be deleted).

Mark.

Many thanks for explaining that mate. So say I make a Nandroid backup, then flash a new ROM and it has new mods, files etc (or say I was on stock initially and then went to the AKOP ROM by Romann) and then I restore my Nandroid backup will it not affect the new bits in the AKOP ROM as I was on stock when I made the Nandroid backup?? Or is Nandroid smart enough to just restore what is needed (for me that would be all my data and settings) and leave all the new bits of the new ROM intact? If so this is the way to go for me as I am sick and tired setting EVERYTHING back up when I want to have the latest version of a ROM.

Cheers,
M
27th January 2012, 02:10 PM |#525  
Flag Norfolk

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.m.moran

Many thanks for explaining that mate. So say I make a Nandroid backup, then flash a new ROM and it has new mods, files etc (or say I was on stock initially and then went to the AKOP ROM by Romann) and then I restore my Nandroid backup will it not affect the new bits in the AKOP ROM as I was on stock when I made the Nandroid backup?? Or is Nandroid smart enough to just restore what is needed (for me that would be all my data and settings) and leave all the new bits of the new ROM intact? If so this is the way to go for me as I am sick and tired setting EVERYTHING back up when I want to have the latest version of a ROM.

Cheers,
M

If you restore a NANDROID backup then it effectively wipes the partition before flashing the saved image. This means if you have an exsiting Rom on your phone with apps and settings and then restore the backup, no part of the previous Rom will remain.

One advantage of a NANDROID backup is that you can select advanded restore and restore 'parts' of the backup. You could flash a new Rom and then restore just the DATA part of the backup thus restoring your installed apps and settings.

The only problem with that is that some Roms at the moment are built slightly differently and are advising that you do a full wipe before flashing so that no settings or parts of previous roms are left that may cause trouble.

So you have a few different options before you. A NANDROID backup would be good for backing up a complete Rom and going back to it in future if you wanted to. A Titanium backup is good for backing up all your apps and app data but you have to reinstall Titanium Backup before restoring your apps and it takes up alot of space on your Internal Storage if you have alot of big apps on your phone. My personal preference is an Adb Backup which you can do through the ToolKit and which backs up all your installed apps and user data (and Internal Storage if you want it to) and saves the backup as a .bak file on your PC with a time stamped file name. This can be restored on ANY Rom and takes up no extra space on your phone.

Hope that gives you the information you need.

Mark.
27th January 2012, 02:34 PM |#526  
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 390

More
Mark i just wanted to thank you for you AMAZING work on that toolkit.
Without it we noobs would be damn lost in hell
Donation coming soon m8
And keep up the great work
27th January 2012, 03:53 PM |#527  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi Mark,

thnx for you toolkit. Altough I had some problems installing the drivers everything works fine now. I'm on the brink of flashing my first rom, and actually I would like to flash a kernel and another radio as well. As I'm a noob, should I be carefull by flashing any other things than a rom, or is it unlikely that something goes wrong?

And is there any order how to flash? Like first radio, then kernel and finally the ROM?

thnx in advance
27th January 2012, 04:11 PM |#528  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:

A Titanium backup is good for backing up all your apps and app data but you have to reinstall Titanium Backup before restoring your apps and it takes up alot of space on your Internal Storage if you have alot of big apps on your phone.

Mark.

Mark, if space is an issue I believe you can copy the TB backup to your pc after the backup?
27th January 2012, 05:45 PM |#529  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 119

More
So I plan on taking the plung into a rom and to install CWM with this toolkit rooting isnt required correct? I just need to unlock the bootloaders, then install CWM from the toolkit and then I would be ok to go into CWM and install the rom from there?
27th January 2012, 06:22 PM |#530  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 8

More
awesome job.. needed this to bail me out of a jam today and did the trick.. great work
27th January 2012, 08:45 PM |#531  
Flag Norfolk

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maardiweb

Hi Mark,

thnx for you toolkit. Altough I had some problems installing the drivers everything works fine now. I'm on the brink of flashing my first rom, and actually I would like to flash a kernel and another radio as well. As I'm a noob, should I be carefull by flashing any other things than a rom, or is it unlikely that something goes wrong?

And is there any order how to flash? Like first radio, then kernel and finally the ROM?

thnx in advance

As long as you make sure the file you want to flash is for your model (gsm/lte) then yo ushouldnt have any problems. There isnt really any order that things need to be flashed just make sure that you have booted your rom at least once, then you can either boot to fastboot if you are flashing a .img file or reboot to cwm recovery if you are flashing a .zip file.

Mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mskip Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)