[GNEX TOOLKIT V11.1.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash + MORE [GSM]

12,328 posts
Thanks Meter: 16,156
 
By mskip, Retired Senior Moderator on 15th December 2011, 12:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th February 2012, 09:55 AM |#601  
Senior Member
Flag Auckland, NZ
Thanks Meter: 121
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by navahoo

same here. adb says restore completet but there´s no change.

is there a standard password coz i do not recall set one while doing the backup!

thanks!

edit: just rechecked and my backup file is also just 0kb. meaning all gone?!

Ouch! Yeah i think it does. I created a backup, while in Android OS/ADB mode of course, with the password 123456789, then once it finished i checked the file size. It was around 400mb. When i restored it, i entered 123456789 in both password boxes, then restored all my apps and data. Except for internal of course. I backed it up manually just in case!
5th February 2012, 09:56 AM |#602  
mskip's Avatar
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 16,156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by navahoo

same here. adb says restore completet but there´s no change.

is there a standard password coz i do not recall set one while doing the backup!

thanks!

edit: just rechecked and my backup file is also just 0kb. meaning all gone?!

If the file is 0 size then there was some problem when you generated the backup and unfortunately theres nothing can be done about it now.

Do you remember if you was in fastboot mode or booted into Android when you performed the backup? I may have to make this a bit clearer in the ToolKit and also tell people to check the download size of the backup after its completed. An average backup size with around 20-40 apps backed with user data will be between 150MB-400MB.

MArk.
The Following User Says Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mskip Ad-Free
5th February 2012, 10:10 AM |#603  
navahoo's Avatar
Senior Member
Munich
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johno168

I had this same problem. You have to enter the password in both boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskip

If the file is 0 size then there was some problem when you generated the backup and unfortunately theres nothing can be done about it now.

Do you remember if you was in fastboot mode or booted into Android when you performed the backup? I may have to make this a bit clearer in the ToolKit and also tell people to check the download size of the backup after its completed. An average backup size with around 20-40 apps backed with user data will be between 150MB-400MB.

MArk.

i´m not sure but the longer i think about the more i assume the device was in fastboot mode... stupid me!

made another backup with sprite backup to save at least messages and stuff but restoring failed several times as it can´t connect to my dropbox.

such a black sunday!

besides all -> outstanding tool!!!
5th February 2012, 10:29 AM |#604  
mskip's Avatar
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 16,156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by navahoo

i´m not sure but the longer i think about the more i assume the device was in fastboot mode... stupid me!

made another backup with sprite backup to save at least messages and stuff but restoring failed several times as it can´t connect to my dropbox.

such a black sunday!

besides all -> outstanding tool!!!

Ohh well at least you have the fun of setting everything back up again lol its one of the reasons why I made the option to install apps from the PC to the phone because I have
Alot of apps stored on my computer and I can reinstall them all with 1 click

Don't let anything spoil your Sunday mate.

Mark.
5th February 2012, 01:14 PM |#605  
Senior Member
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskip

An average backup size with around 20-40 apps backed with user data will be between 150MB-400MB.

MArk.

Mark, how long would you estimate one that size to take? I didn't get 0 but I remember it running a lot faster than I expected.
5th February 2012, 01:22 PM |#606  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Mine was the same. I have about 15 apps installed and the backup file generated through the GN Toolkit is 21,979kb and ran in about 15 seconds (I excluded SD card and system apps). I ran a backup through Clockworkmod and that took about 5 minutes, though I'm guessing it's doing ALL system related stuff as well. Doesn't that size seem small for 15 apps?
5th February 2012, 02:22 PM |#607  
mskip's Avatar
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 16,156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

Mark, how long would you estimate one that size to take? I didn't get 0 but I remember it running a lot faster than I expected.

If you backup apks and userdata it should take around 5-10 minutes depending on the size and amount of userdata of the apps. I back up round 60-70 apps with userdata (no system apps or internal storge selected) and the backup file is roughly 330MB and takes about7 or 8 minutes to complete once started. If the backup does start but isnt very big then maybe you only selected userdata and not the apk aswell.

If you arent sure its completed properly then just perform another backup and compare file sizes.

Mark.
The Following User Says Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mskip Ad-Free
5th February 2012, 02:31 PM |#608  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
heh i'm totally confused. if i backup all apps/apks except system and sd card the backup is 21,979kb, and if i backup all apps/apks including system it's almost 6GB! as i said i only have about 15 apps installed and i flashed a new rom last night, so there shouldn't be too much on there...
5th February 2012, 05:09 PM |#609  
Senior Member
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 227
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvultee

heh i'm totally confused. if i backup all apps/apks except system and sd card the backup is 21,979kb, and if i backup all apps/apks including system it's almost 6GB! as i said i only have about 15 apps installed and i flashed a new rom last night, so there shouldn't be too much on there...

In the second instance where you backing up the sd card? I think it would be unusual for apps and data to be that large? Did you restore your data after the flash?
5th February 2012, 05:11 PM |#610  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy

In the second instance where you backing up the sd card? I think it would be unusual for apps and data to be that large? Did you restore your data after the flash?

nope, i dont back up the sd card ever, and even if i did there's not that much on there since it's a clean rom install. i'm not sure why it's so big, in 1 instance it's too small, in the other its huge. hmm...
5th February 2012, 07:33 PM |#611  
mskip's Avatar
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 16,156
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvultee

nope, i dont back up the sd card ever, and even if i did there's not that much on there since it's a clean rom install. i'm not sure why it's so big, in 1 instance it's too small, in the other its huge. hmm...

Out of those 15 apps are there any large games? The total backup size could conceivably be 21MB if they are small (around 1MB each).I have 71 apps which I just backed up again to check. The backup file generated for the apk's and app data comes to 336MB and the app data by itself without the apk's is only 2MB so app data doesnt take up much space at all. I also have quite a few games which are between 15-50MB each which accounts for the large file overall file size.

You have to remember that adb backup has only just been added to the latest version of adb and there are apparently a few bugs with it. I would only advise the 2 backups above (apks + app data or JUST app data) but from my testing those 2 procedures work perfectly.

Also when the backup starts you can see on your phones screen exactly what is being backed up and how long it is taking so if it finishes without displaying anything or zips by very quickly then you know something is going wrong.

Mark.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes