Does 5GHz on the Galaxy Nexus Work for You (Poll)?

Does 5GHz on the Galaxy Nexus Work for You?

• Yes, it works well.

Votes: 67 47.5%
  • No, it does not work/work consistently.

Votes: 74 52.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

norazi

Mar 30, 2010
its works using certain channels but the wifi radio on the gnex is pretty weak so i get awful range so i stick with 2.4ghz

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
5ghz is shorter range than 2.4.

The Gnex has nothing to do with it.

norazi

Mar 30, 2010
5ghz is shorter range than 2.4.

The Gnex has nothing to do with it.

thats what i mean... i know that 5ghz has shorter range than 2.4ghz

i still use 5ghz on my laptop because even though it is shorter range, i still get decent range (about 50% signal strength vs 80% if i use 2.4ghz)

however, since the radio/antenna on the gnex is weaker than my laptop, i get 10% signal strength using 5ghz and 50-60% using 2.4ghz.. in that situation, its almost worthless to use 5ghz on my gnex even though its fine on my laptop

thats what i meant

Reactions: GrkEngineer

BinkXDA

Mar 1, 2012
Perhaps this poll needs exposure again—particularly in relation to my recent experience and now Jelly Bean. OP updated…

gardirulez

May 16, 2010
Reggio Emilia
I got mine replaced by the Samsung Repair Centre. It took 1 month (ONE MONTH) to get it repaired.
Actually they sent me a brand new phone, as they didn't have another motherboard to replace the faulty one in the phone (to fix the 5GHz connection issue they have to replace the mainboard).
Now it connects, I hope it will continue to..

c0LdFire

Mar 6, 2011
I got mine replaced by the Samsung Repair Centre. It took 1 month (ONE MONTH) to get it repaired.
Actually they sent me a brand new phone, as they didn't have another motherboard to replace the faulty one in the phone (to fix the 5GHz connection issue they have to replace the mainboard).
Now it connects, I hope it will continue to..

Argh, this is already a warranty replacement phone as it is for a flawed screen..... and the replacement I'm using is almost just as bad as my original, I just didn't want to have to bother calling them again.

My 5ghz just failed today. Woke up and it wouldn't connect at home or work. Tried another ROM, etc, same thing anyone else would try. It's just dead. I managed to connect to it once by sitting the phone directly on top of the router, but as soon as I just pick it up a few inches it drops.

Bumping this in the hopes that anyone's managed to fix this with a software solution. The hardware still PICKS UP my 5ghz networks, it just won't connect to them...

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
Works for me (NetGear N dual band N600) but the 5 gHz wifi is limited in range so its not really consistent when I'm not in the same room as the router. I did use 5 gHz when watching movies or video chatting just for that extra "umph".

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Argh, this is already a warranty replacement phone as it is for a flawed screen..... and the replacement I'm using is almost just as bad as my original, I just didn't want to have to bother calling them again.

My 5ghz just failed today. Woke up and it wouldn't connect at home or work. Tried another ROM, etc, same thing anyone else would try. It's just dead. I managed to connect to it once by sitting the phone directly on top of the router, but as soon as I just pick it up a few inches it drops.

Bumping this in the hopes that anyone's managed to fix this with a software solution. The hardware still PICKS UP my 5ghz networks, it just won't connect to them...

I've had similar problems, if your using the same router I am, constant connection drops or connected but with a grey wifi icon.

My solution was using a different router (Netgear WNR 1000) now with no problems, lucky I had an extra one laying around.

Last edited:

thos25

Aug 19, 2011
Blm-Normal IL
Mine works fine. No issues. The only problem is that it is my only device to work on 5ghz band. So I don't always have my router use that frequency.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: funkiefresh

test4echo

Jan 16, 2012
No Joy here either

My Galaxy just received the JB 4.1.1 update. Same issues. No longer connects to 5GHZ.
If i place the GNEX ON the router it will connect. Move 2 feet, drops out. 100% Packet loss.
Used to work fine before the update.

Reactions: BinkXDA
S

Soldier-2Point0

Doesn't work for me. Maybe changing the radio to a previous one (ICS) will fix it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on AOKP

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Mine connected fine to 5Ghz on ICS, and continues to do so on JB.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    5ghz OC? Is that not terrible for the phone ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

It would be extremely terrible, luckily we are talking about WiFi GHz not CPU GHz.
    What is net gear..???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Its this specific gear that people use to make nets see (netgear.com)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    If you say so. Good luck

Same problem here.

My router has been set to AES since I got it, so it's definitely not the encryption algorithm issue in this case.

The 5GHz band used to work fine on both mine and my partner's Galaxy Nexus. Then suddenly, a few weeks ago, it stopped for me, then a few days ago it stopped for my partner too. Other 5GHz devices still connect fine.

Symptoms are exactly the same as what others have reported:
    • Was working fine.
    • Suddenly stopped working despite no changes to settings/ROMs/etc. Not a router issue because two Galaxy Nexuses stopped working weeks apart, used to work fine, other devices still work fine.
    • Both Galaxy Nexuses connect fine but only if I hold them very close (i.e. around a foot or closer) to the router.
    • Other devices on 5GHz connect fine from any reasonable distance.
    • Can see a good signal on the phone, even from a reasonably far distance, but hitting connect appears to do nothing (unless extremely close, see above).
    • Both Galaxy Nexuses work fine on 2.4GHz band on same router.

I wonder if the 5GHz power transistor on the phone overheats (it needs more power than 2.4GHz - specifically 200mW versus 80mW) and slowly dies... I see this happen a lot with semi-conductors - especially LEDs that have the wrong current limiting resistor.
    Derp, ignore

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
    It would be extremely terrible, luckily we are talking about WiFi GHz not CPU GHz.
    o ****, i thought you guys were talking about CPU (didnt read the whole post)
    i was like holy **** man these guys phones are gonna explode someday