Android OS killing battery

Search This thread

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I just had a system wakelock for the past 4 days or so. At first, I thought it was the kernel that I was using that caused it, so I flashed back to the previous version, but the same issue was happening. So, last night, I wiped data and setup my phone again, restoring minimal data from backup. After 8 hours, the phone hasn't had a serious wakelock and idle battery drain is back to normal.

msucoleman

Mar 20, 2008
I seem to be having same issue. I'm stock for now, have 4g turned off w/sync, mail on. I read all about bad battery, but didn't think it was this bad.

a6fae0c2-91c9-8e31.jpg
a6fae0c2-91d7-b7ae.jpg

a6fae0c2-9276-a651.jpg
a6fae0c2-927f-bc40.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ieatnoobs

Apr 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Very interesting. I use my phone quite extensively and still get at least 14hrs from it. In my case I have sync turned off since I get emails on the computer Facebook refresh is set to never and location is off, screen is lowest dim, and location services are turned off during the day since I am at only one location all day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

ilya.shelchok

Nov 30, 2012
Moscow
I changed my galaxy nexus to meizu mx2, but the problem remains (back after ~4 days). OS Android 50-70%. Today I try to reset and another google account.

madd0g

May 8, 2010
Get BBS and check out wakelocks. It might be a kernel wakelock for wifi (change channel, disable LanSync in Dropbox in the wifi network).

stormage

Dec 19, 2013
I'm not sure if it's the right place, but I'll give it a shot.
I'm using Samsung GS4 i9500, and wanted to know if it's a good idea to buy a third party battery with higher capacity than the stock one.
I think my battery is getting weaker, so instead of buying another stock, I'm checking other options

Again, apologies if that's the wrong place.:fingers-crossed:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    battery drain

Hi,

I have also big issues with battery drain, (from 35mA to 150mA in standby, sometimes goes 13mA but only for a couple of minutes).
    After inspecting various logs and kernel drivers i'm absolutely positive it's kernel driver issue. Well, to confirm this i need some kernel logs, so if any of you can post (pastebin preferably) dmesg logs. (adb shell dmesg > dmesg.log) and upload it to pastebin.

EDIT: Uploaded screenshot after performing some possible temp. fix. Will post details when i confirm it's working ok. (after fix. drain is 2mA)

EDIT2: Sadly but tmp. fix didn't do anything significant, 2mA drain last only for half an hour, maybe more, then goes back to 13-25mA
    If you want to take a shoot you can try this:
    Connect phone with PC, wake screen and enter this command on pc:
    adb shell
    echo N>/sys/module/otg_wakelock/parameters/enabled

after that unplug cable and power off screen, don't do anything with phone for some time to see if you'll get lower battery drain (half an hour should be enough)

- Root source of problem (at least by inspecting logs) is twl6030 driver and interrupts handling. There is something wrong, because every time device goes to deep sleep shortly after thet it's awaken by TWL6030-PIH (IRQ 39).
    Just take a look at my kernel log and search "Resume caused by".

log pastebin: http://pastebin.com/GVCty3gg

As soon as i get some free time i'll explore this further..
    Note sure that this has got to do with wifi at all as I reset my phone to factory and I still have the 'Android OS' usage taking 23% of battery. I have no apps nor have I yet linked phone to my Google account.

I have read some comments to do with the Galaxy S2 which too suffered from the same problem. I remember reading something about Samsung driver implementation causing this with the S2. I will update the links when I find something conclusive. Also I have another HTC desire that has the AOSP code compiled rom and that does not suffer from this at all and it is happily sitting idle at almost 2 days with nearly 70% battery still left.

:(

Yes, the problem was with the suspend process eating up CPU. You can install Watchdog and set it to watch non-Android processes, and that will be able to tell you which "Android OS" process is actually the one eating up battery.
    Just some data:

-I have WiFi and Sync always on, WiFi router is always on and connection is good
    -at home I get 4 bars 3G reception
    -I lose ~6% battery over night (9h)

Over x-mas I was home at my girl's parents place, they live on the countryside with the worst cellphone reception you can imagine, barely 1 bar and literally half of the time there is no connection at all, esp. if you do something crazy like actually holding your Nexus in the hand.
    I was on WiFi with a good connection and lost ~20% over night and noticed a higher "Android OS" usage as well. "Cell standby" was very high too, of course.
    Here is an updated comparison between my wife's Nexus and mine. The two main differences between these two phones would be her's is on wifi 95% of the day whereas mine is on wifi probably 20% of the day. .

I'd need logs to verify what the issue is, but her phone is working harder than yours at something. Do you guys have really crappy reception in you house? There's so many factors and variables at play, you can't really assume its the same issue. Try throwing the phone in airplane mode (if you can - I understand you need to be connected) for as long as you can and see if it decreases. Keep me updated, please.

A few points before I disappear for the holidays:

1 - THIS IS NOT A BATTERY ISSUE This is about AndroidOS awake times. The battery will suck with high awake times, but just becuase your battery sucks does not mean its AndroidOS. I'm all for the info you guys are posting, as every bit helps out, but please post your awake times as well. If you're not doing an idle test, I cant really take your info into account though, as so many other thing go on behind the scenes... ie-polluted data

2 - This is a mobile data issue with ICS. It's NOT the Galaxy Nexus, its not Verizon/GSM, its not your SIM card. You may have problems with those specific areas, but the problem with high awake times is in ICS.

3 - Please dont send PMs asking about the kernel. I'm running into 1000's of problems, and with the time of year it is, I much rather be getting drunk with friends and family then staring at lines of code - I think most of you would agree. If battery time is KILLING you right now, check out some battery saving techniques across the forum. As of this post, there is no perma-fix for AndroidOS wake time bugs.

4 - PM me for any questions. This thread moves pretty fast, I can't answer all of your posts.

5 - Everyone have a good holiday season. I'll keep you updated.
    I turned my phone off while charging. I immediately turned it back on, and it charged 25% in that time. Something cannot be right here haha.

It probably took an arrow to the knee.